Question: Dealing With Bosses Who Don't Understand Your Field

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
So, a little while back we went through a leadership shakeup within my company. Like most shakeups there were both positive and negative elements. The positive is that there are more overall resources available to us and our teams corporately and internationally. This is a very positive thing.

The negative is that my superiors have no understanding of what I do or how I do it. They are not from the same field as me and have no experience or background in it. This is new for me. I'm having difficulty helping them understand why some things are necessary, why some things are impossible or overly difficult and why we have the processes that we have. Their solutions are impractical or shortsighted because they don't understand the landscape, the technology, or the process to complete what needs to be completed. This can be very VERY frustrating.

They don't seem overly keen to learn but they are also not malicious. They are just clueless.

My question to you guys is, what tactics or techniques have you used when in similar positions? How do you deal with superiors who have no background in your field but you still have to work through them to get things accomplished?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This isn't going to help you, but looking back, the way I dealt with it is to try and not let it disrupt my focus on what I CAN control.

In other words...don't let it throw you off mentally - and spiritually.

I think that's gotta be #1 on your priorities.

After that maybe work at communications that are productive and positive and try to avoid any that may create friction.

There's only so much one can do in that position.

Hopefully things will get to a point where they realize their shortcomings and work harder at working side by side with you instead of a downstream approach.

Hang in there and don't take this stuff home with you - it's only work.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
This isn't going to help you, but looking back, the way I dealt with it is to try and not let it disrupt my focus on what I CAN control.

In other words...don't let it throw you off mentally - and spiritually.

I think that's gotta be #1 on your priorities.

After that maybe work at communications that are productive and positive and try to avoid any that may create friction.

There's only so much one can do in that position.

Hopefully things will get to a point where they realize their shortcomings and work harder at working side by side with you instead of a downstream approach.

Hang in there and don't take this stuff home with you - it's only work.
Solid advice.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Lack of effort on their part will torpedo most of your efforts unfortunately. Maybe a few sit ins while you work.

I feel your pain. There aren't many supervisors at railroads with actual working knowledge or experience in doing the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Every single time I see this subject, I'm reminded of how many sports team owners (Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder) know absolutely nothing about being successful at the sport of the team they own....but they THINK they're geniuses.

One of my favorite stories was when the late Cardinals owner Gussie Busch was a new owner, and he asked his manager what he needed (I think it was Eddie Stanky). He said he needed an outfielder, a shortstop, and a first baseman, and Busch - working on the cheap as always - told him he would get him a first baseman, so did he have any idea who would work. Manager said Gil Hodges of Brooklyn would be perfect. So Busch calls up Walter O'Malley and asks him how much Hodges would cost. Walter tells him some unbelievable figure and then tells him that even if he has the money, he can't have Hodges. Then Busch inquires of the Cubs for Ernie Banks and gives his GM an unbelievably high figure to get Banks. The GM comes back and tells him the same thing - and then follows with, "Mr Wrigley said to tell you he needs another half million dollars about as much as you do."

I recall something my old man said - guys who know how to make a truckload of money almost never know how to do anything else. And my 48 years on the planet has shown that with rare exceptions, he's right.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So, a little while back we went through a leadership shakeup within my company. Like most shakeups there were both positive and negative elements. The positive is that there are more overall resources available to us and our teams corporately and internationally. This is a very positive thing.

The negative is that my superiors have no understanding of what I do or how I do it. They are not from the same field as me and have no experience or background in it. This is new for me. I'm having difficulty helping them understand why some things are necessary, why some things are impossible or overly difficult and why we have the processes that we have. Their solutions are impractical or shortsighted because they don't understand the landscape, the technology, or the process to complete what needs to be completed. This can be very VERY frustrating.

They don't seem overly keen to learn but they are also not malicious. They are just clueless.

My question to you guys is, what tactics or techniques have you used when in similar positions? How do you deal with superiors who have no background in your field but you still have to work through them to get things accomplished?
invite your boss to everything and copy him/her on emails as often as possible. Best thing you can do is include him so he knows how much you actually do. I would even have him take over some tasks if you can. Fill in on some calls or whatever so he can figure out very quickly that while he may not know what you do he knows he will be screwed without you. This has worked for me in the past

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
invite your boss to everything and copy him/her on emails as often as possible. Best thing you can do is include him so he knows how much you actually do. I would even have him take over some tasks if you can. Fill in on some calls or whatever so he can figure out very quickly that while he may not know what you do he knows he will be screwed without you. This has worked for me in the past
This is a good idea.

Also, this isn't directed at you, but both my new bosses are women. You just said "he" a few times and I should have mentioned they are "she's." One of my former bosses was a woman, so it doesn't matter - but it does change the dynamic a little. I used to travel internationally with my last direct report and he was a dude and we could laugh and drink and carry on. All above-board and Christian, because we are a Christian org, but like guys can. It's obviously not the same dynamic even though my new direct report is super pleasant and easy to work with in a personality sense.

It's a good idea to get into the details and let them see me go about my job. That's a good tip.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I've been there too. Bottom line is stand your ground for what you feel is correct and document anything that causes you to stray from it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This is a good idea.

Also, this isn't directed at you, but both my new bosses are women. You just said "he" a few times and I should have mentioned they are "she's." One of my former bosses was a woman, so it doesn't matter - but it does change the dynamic a little. I used to travel internationally with my last direct report and he was a dude and we could laugh and drink and carry on. All above-board and Christian, because we are a Christian org, but like guys can. It's obviously not the same dynamic even though my new direct report is super pleasant and easy to work with in a personality sense.

It's a good idea to get into the details and let them see me go about my job. That's a good tip.
I've had 3 female bosses in a row and a just told yesterday I am moving to a fourth. Good news is I trained her how to do my job a year and a half ago, she does not know that I was offered the job first and declined. Hopefully that won't cause an issue but she has been a friend for years so I don't find that likely

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The only thing I have to deal with is older architects that do not understand the software we use to create drawings. We have 3 partners that believe computer drafting hit perfection with AutoCAD. I have tried to convince them that not only is Revit a better alternative, if used correctly it can be faster. Fortunately, the main partner (he signs the paychecks) is in my corner and is open to new ideas. One of the 3 that think AutoCAD is perfect, will listen and he is starting to sit in my Revit lessons for the office. We just have the 2 that flat out refuse to listen and they keep using “things they heard” from other old as dirt architects that are too stubborn to listen to reason. They also use people in the firm that do not know the program well enough as their “proof”. I also have 2 people in the firm (not partners but associates) that refuse to learn Revit because AutoCAD Architecture is “better”. It has gotten to a point that I am ready to move on to a firm that appreciates me and is on the same line of thinking. If I wanted to I could leave tomorrow. I have used leaving as leverage for raises.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've had 3 female bosses in a row and a just told yesterday I am moving to a fourth. Good news is I trained her how to do my job a year and a half ago, she does not know that I was offered the job first and declined. Hopefully that won't cause an issue but she has been a friend for years so I don't find that likely
thinking back through my career, i have only had two male bosses, and even in those cases, my direct supervisors were women.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
thinking back through my career, i have only had two male bosses, and even in those cases, my direct supervisors were women.
Same. Not taking this political but sometimes when I hear about women being underrepresented in leadership roles I wonder where they mean. I always assume my experience is anecdotal. Creative venues seem to have a fair amount of female leadership. It's worked out fine for me. I don't mind it at all Like I said my last executive producer was a female. No issues. But the difference is she had a background in her field and wasn't just plugged in haphazardly.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Same. Not taking this political but sometimes when I hear about women being underrepresented in leadership roles I wonder where they mean. I always assume my experience is anecdotal. Creative venues seem to have a fair amount of female leadership. It's worked out fine for me. I don't mind it at all Like I said my last executive producer was a female. No issues. But the difference is she had a background in her field and wasn't just plugged in haphazardly.
i've been pretty lucky over my career. i've had a couple of so-so bosses, but a large majority of them were really good. and most importantly, i've never had a horrible one.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I wanted to bump this thread just to say that after hearing about everyone's experience and taking some of your advice I've found a way to forge a healthier and ever-improving relationship with my superiors. Patience, steadfastness and trying not to be obnoxious or difficult but instead an ally have earned me a bigger seat at the internal decision making table over the last few months.

It's still not perfect, but with persistence the bosses have begun to understand that there are areas out of their expertise range and that I can be trusted to give them quality information with the company's best interests at heart.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I'm sure in a couple of weeks they'll do something infuriating that will make me regret posting this, but overall, things are definitely on an upward swing.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
The trend has been to hire “people” managers; knowing what the “people” being managed actually have to know and do has taken a back seat, and I’ve seen multiple instances (with very mixed results) where it was given no priority at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.