Maywood Teacher Arrested After Punching Student In Class

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Teacher was out of line, zero question. Not everyone is wired to handle this sort of stuff - I know I'm not.

That said, if corporal punishment was still a tool the schools could resort to, a lot of these issues would disappear overnight. Couple smacks with the paddle kept even the toughest hombre in line when I was younger...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Teacher was out of line, zero question. Not everyone is wired to handle this sort of stuff - I know I'm not. That said, if corporal punishment was still a tool the schools could resort to, a lot of these issues would disappear overnight. Couple smacks with the paddle kept even the toughest hombre in line when I was younger...
So - this is a separate discussion & debate I guess......

I wonder what kind of discipline was enforced in that kid's household?

I'm not implying it would have made a difference as none of have enough information to jump to that conclusion.

But I'm in agreement with what you posted.....my personal observations growing up back in the stone age was corporal punishment kept a LOT of kids in line.

At home Mom kept a belt draped over the kitchen cart handle just for that purpose. She rarely had to use it though - all it takes is one time and you figure it out. Then Dad always wore those thin belts with his pants. There were a few times he whipped that belt off and our rear ends got a taste of parental discipline.

Sometimes he would take the belt off and we just straightened up without getting walloped.

Overall, I feel fortunate that my folks just set a good example for their kids in how they behaved and spoke about character, integrity, and morality.

It would be interesting to know more about this kid and his home life.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Teacher was out of line, zero question. Not everyone is wired to handle this sort of stuff - I know I'm not.

That said, if corporal punishment was still a tool the schools could resort to, a lot of these issues would disappear overnight. Couple smacks with the paddle kept even the toughest hombre in line when I was younger...
Yep. It needs to comeback with one caveat. There would need to be at least one witness in the room, preferably two. Just like this teacher here who overreacted, the same would happen with corporal punishment if it wasn't highly supervised. We had a shop teacher whose paddlings went way beyond the scope of corporal punishment. He didn't even notify the principal or the school office that he was paddling us. The old codger just pulled out this hand made wooden paddle and went to busting tail.

But overall I agree, it needs to make a comeback.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
So - this is a separate discussion & debate I guess......

I wonder what kind of discipline was enforced in that kid's household?

I'm not implying it would have made a difference as none of have enough information to jump to that conclusion.

But I'm in agreement with what you posted.....my personal observations growing up back in the stone age was corporal punishment kept a LOT of kids in line.

At home Mom kept a belt draped over the kitchen cart handle just for that purpose. She rarely had to use it though - all it takes is one time and you figure it out. Then Dad always wore those thin belts with his pants. There were a few times he whipped that belt off and our rear ends got a taste of parental discipline.

Sometimes he would take the belt off and we just straightened up without getting walloped.

Overall, I feel fortunate that my folks just set a good example for their kids in how they behaved and spoke about character, integrity, and morality.

It would be interesting to know more about this kid and his home life.

Too many times today, kids are the discipline in their homes, and they have no frame of reference for effective discipline. Not necessarily the "follow the rules or I'll beat you" discipline, but the discipline that is administered with love, with a goal of making them a better person. This is not necessarily relevant to the teacher beating the kid, but it was an awakening in my professional life...

My first teaching job was at Central High School in Tuscaloosa. I was fresh out of graduate school and knew everything and was ready to change the world. I was 21 years old and teaching a class of 18 year old, mainly inner city, Tuscaloosa kids. A few weeks into the job, I had this one student who would not do any work, and when I would reprimand him he would have a smart aleck comment and basically blow me off.

I finally had enough and did a discipline report on him. Next day the assistant principal called me into his office to talk about it. I was adamant that the kid had no discipline, was not responsible, was going to fail and end up selling drugs, etc. The administrator agreed with everything I said, and let me know that he supported me 100% if I wanted to go through with the write-up, but that it would likely lead to the kids expulsion, due to an accumulation effect.

Then he told me about the kid I was writing up. How he had been the man of the house since he was 11 years old, so no, he didn't do well with male authority figures. His mother was in and out of metro jail on prostitution and drug charges, and this kid had been raising his 4 younger siblings since he was 12. He asked me how many teenagers had the responsibility and discipline to do what this kid does day in and day out. Heck, it sounded like something out of a movie. But It changed my entire way of looking at the world and made me a much better teacher and coach.

From that day on I tried to make it a point to know my students on a personal level. Not necessarily trying to be their friend, but understanding where they are as a human.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
When I still lived in Jackson, I used to go the YMCA to lift weights after work. There was a guy in there who was doing some serious 'roids. I got to know him pretty well. He was an apprentice wrestler, the guys they throw in as raw meat for the stars to beat up every night.

One day, he came in the gym with a huge shiner on his eye. I asked him what happened to him. He said, "I got hit by a chair in Shreveport on Saturday night."
Sounds like the title for a great country song.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Another semi-amusing thing from the hardcore match was my friend getting sprayed with a fire extinguisher. Only someone got the wrong kind of fire extinguisher (a recurring theme it seems) and he took a face full of chemicals. He was in the bathroom after the match sick as a dog and trying to wash his eyes out. Tried to take him to the hospital but he refused before going in and was fine after a day or two.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you and your buds aren't overly successful breeders.

The other main story from back then (2000-2001) is trying to create our own wrestling company. We had spent a while plotting out storylines for 5-6 shows, were going an extra step on trying to make it a nicer environment for the wrestlers such as providing free food/drinks backstage which is rare; as well as better pay - for example on the shows we wrestled the three of us got $20. Not each.

We had rented a place in Selma, passed out flyers, promoted it, had all the wrestlers there, had fans starting to arrive and buying tickets. Only one thing missing- the ring. lol. The guy we were renting the ring from supposedly had flat tires and kept saying he was going to be there but never showed up the night before the show. We were told he would get them fixed and show up the day of the show and we'd put the ring up as quickly as possible. Never showed up the day of the show and stopped returning calls. All of the wrestlers were saying "screw it, we'll just do this on the concrete floor" and we were going to try to put on a show for the fans anyway. However without our knowledge the VFW guy we were renting from was going around arena and standing outside the venue telling everyone the show was cancelled before we had even decided that. At that point it all fell apart. Steve Armstrong did offer me a chance to come help out his own promotion down in South Alabama/Florida but I was so bummed out about the event failing that I didn't follow through on it at the time.

I still have my suspicions that one of the other local promoters setup the ring not to arrive as that business can be pretty cutthroat.
LOL! You should make a movie script from these experiences.

Considering the context ... I'll mention again a story about this guy I met in Virginia Beach about a dozen years ago. Total dumbarse, but I hung out with him a bit just to watch the train wreck. He broke his back falling two stories off a flat roof, which IMO takes an amazing amount of cluelessness. He was in a back brace for months while his vertebrae healed. When he was finally well enough to leave the house (but still in a back brace) he wanted to go to his favorite spot: the bar at the local Outback. He liked eating at the bar because the bartender had to pay attention to him. A captive audience was usually his only audience. Not that she asked about his injury, but he was telling this poor girl that he was a professional wrestler and sustained his back injury wrestling Goldberg. He was disappointed his story didn't get him laid that night. I told him to keep his spirits up; his story was awesome, totally believable, and Outback surely had other bartenders.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I remember when I was 10+/- years old reading my Mom's collection of the Little House on the Prairie books. I don't remember which book, but there was an incident where a big farm boy thug threatened and tried to bully the male teacher. The teacher got out a bullwhip and proceed to lash some manners into the youngin'. No more trouble after that. That's old, old school. :cool:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

At Sevier Middle School in up-state South Carolina the coaches had a paddle, really two paddles connected by hinges so one swing of the paddle got you two hits. And the first paddle has holes drilled in it so the air could pass through, giving more velocity to the paddle in the last 1/4 inch before impact with the student's rear end. (Objectively, I have no idea if either of these gimmicks actually made the paddle more punishing, but the psychological effect was real.)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Too many times today, kids are the discipline in their homes, and they have no frame of reference for effective discipline. Not necessarily the "follow the rules or I'll beat you" discipline, but the discipline that is administered with love, with a goal of making them a better person. This is not necessarily relevant to the teacher beating the kid, but it was an awakening in my professional life...

My first teaching job was at Central High School in Tuscaloosa. I was fresh out of graduate school and knew everything and was ready to change the world. I was 21 years old and teaching a class of 18 year old, mainly inner city, Tuscaloosa kids. A few weeks into the job, I had this one student who would not do any work, and when I would reprimand him he would have a smart aleck comment and basically blow me off.

I finally had enough and did a discipline report on him. Next day the assistant principal called me into his office to talk about it. I was adamant that the kid had no discipline, was not responsible, was going to fail and end up selling drugs, etc. The administrator agreed with everything I said, and let me know that he supported me 100% if I wanted to go through with the write-up, but that it would likely lead to the kids expulsion, due to an accumulation effect.

Then he told me about the kid I was writing up. How he had been the man of the house since he was 11 years old, so no, he didn't do well with male authority figures. His mother was in and out of metro jail on prostitution and drug charges, and this kid had been raising his 4 younger siblings since he was 12. He asked me how many teenagers had the responsibility and discipline to do what this kid does day in and day out. Heck, it sounded like something out of a movie. But It changed my entire way of looking at the world and made me a much better teacher and coach.

From that day on I tried to make it a point to know my students on a personal level. Not necessarily trying to be their friend, but understanding where they are as a human.
Thank you for sharing. Can't express how important understanding where the kid is coming from is to understanding how to actually help them become a better person. There is no cookie cutter that is going to do the job. It's a very individualized process. And often the ones you want to smack around to most need the most love instead.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
There come a point that regardless how young a person may be, if their actions either physical or verbal, cross over into realm of adulthood, they become an adult and deserve to be treated as such. Their are many great young people today, but there are also many who have no respect for authority.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
There come a point that regardless how young a person may be, if their actions either physical or verbal, cross over into realm of adulthood, they become an adult and deserve to be treated as such. Their are many great young people today, but there are also many who have no respect for authority.
Too many in authority neither respect their authority or office nor those in their charge.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.