How long will UGA put up with Kirby if 2019 ends in a failure?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well I guess I stand corrected. If you just look at Richts record and accomplishments he looks pretty good, but I guess if you break it down further he is not that good.
One thing I will say that Smart gas going for him: his teams play tougher and more disciplined than Richts. He has the same w/l record through his first 3 years but my eyes tell me his teams are better. I feel the same way comparing Jimbos A&M team versus Sumlin.

I'm not arguing "for" or "against" Smart as I think it's too soon to conclude, nor is this any reflection towards you or anyone else. But a number of folks were saying stuff like his record is the same as Richt's at the same point. I didn't investigate with the purpose of proving either point X or point Y, I just wanted to take a closer look.

Richt inherited an 8-4 team that was actually (by record) the #3 team in the SEC behind the two division winners. Keep in mind that at that time two SEC East coaches - Spurrier and Fulmer - were basking in the glow of recent national titles. He lost his SEC opener narrowly to Lou Holtz and then went into Knoxville and beat Fulmer's last division winner. Georgia may have benefited from the unscheduled 9/11 break more than any other team in the SEC. He lost to Spurrier and Auburn just as Donnan had done the two previous years.

Kirby took over a 10-3 team and played eight one-score games, compiling a 5-3 record and finishing tenth overall in a 14-team SEC.

Richt won his first SEC title his second year - so did Kirby. It is indisputable that Richt would have made a four-team playoff in 2002. Three of the teams would without doubt have been Miami, Ohio St, and UGA. There would have been a massive disagreement over whether two-loss SEC or one-loss Iowa was the fourth team. But it is at least possible that Richt could have made a national title game if the rules were the same as now.

Richt won another division title his third year - so did Kirby. And he lost the conference championship to Nick Saban - so did Kirby.

Thus, I don't deny there have been some similarities and Kirby DID take over a better team. But so far, Smart has been better against the better teams, even though his 3-3 record could very easily be 1-5.......or it could also be 5-1.....with two SEC titles and a national championship.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
But UGA fans are getting bothered by him being 0-3 vs the SECW on the road ( all blowouts)
This is also a fair point.

It would be worse for him if had not won some big games. However, he HAS also done some Richt things coaching wise, the most obvious being the 4th and 11 fake punt.

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
That is what I keep hearing. Most UGA fans are saying "Saban has to retire sometime. When he does Kirby will own the SEC." I have my doubts.
I think those are pretty silly thoughts for a georgia fan to think their success down the road will be determined by how long Saban stays at Bama. Makes it sound as though georgia fans are twiddling their thumbs just waiting for Saban to leave. Which they probably are.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Hey everyone! I know, another UGA fan posting on your board. I do come waiving the white flag though and intend on being respectful. I feel that this thread is one of the few I may have business replying to as a fan and alumni of UGA. I enjoy reading your board along with many other teams boards just to see the thought processes as well as gather some news that may not be as main stream.

Anyways,

UGA fans would be absolutely insane to write Kirby off anytime in the near future. Georgia has always been a decent team, but has never been an elite team. Before Kirby came along the Dawgs had won 11 games in the regular season in 2012, 2002, and 1982. 11 win seasons just three times in the last 36 years and Kirby has done that twice now. Since the separation of the SEC into the east and west, UGA had NEVER went undefeated in the east until Kirby came along. UGA has now went undefeated in the east for two seasons in a row. I know the "weak east" comments may be coming, but the east did perform at a higher level this year than in years past. I believe the West was victorious just 5 times in matchups with the east this season while Alabama takes the glory for 3 of those 5 victories. Please feel free to correct me if that last statement is incorrect

Yes it hurts coming up close and falling short, but as a UGA fan I am pretty used to it by now and at least we are coming closer than we did in years past. Kirby also only has 3 years of head coaching experience. Saban had 9 years of head coaching experience before winning a national championship. Saban now has over 20 years of head coaching experience. Kirby will grow over time and learn from mistakes.

Long story short: UGA is being more successful right now than they have been in the last 30 years, and to write Kirby off because he has been unsuccessful in only his 2nd and 3rd years as a head coach against Alabama/Saban in two close games against two of Alabama's best teams under Saban would be insane. Kirby has at least 5 more years no matter how the next few years outcomes are

good luck in the national championship!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.