At Least 47 Indicted in Nationwide College Admissions Cheating and Recruiting Scheme

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
This is all politics and has nothing to do with football.
Seems you spoke too soon.....................

https://www.recode.net/2019/3/12/18...lege-admissions-scandal-tpg-stanford-usc-yale

McGlashan also allegedly made a $250,000 donation to USC in order for his son to enter through the school’s “side door,” according to the charges, by creating the impression that he was a potential recruited kicker or punter for the school’s football team — all thanks to Photoshop. This was all accomplished through mail fraud, prosecutors say.

“I’m gonna make him a kicker/punter and they’re gonna walk him through with football, and I’ll get a picture and figure out how to Photoshop,” William Rick Singer, the college prep adviser at the heart of the scandal, allegedly told McGlashan in August 2018.

“He does have really strong legs,” McGlashan told Singer. “Maybe he’ll become a kicker. You never know.”

“Pretty funny,” McGlashan would later add. “The way the world works these days is unbelievable.”
McGlashan is a Silicon Valley investor, who is a leading proponent of "ethical investing". He is now on “indefinite administrative leave effective immediately”.

Yes, unbelievable how the world really works. </sarcasm>

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'll just offer my perspective, as you guys have. The mindless masses on social media are upset about this. JMO, but any time that you find yourself in agreement with the masses, it is time to stop and reconsider your position.

Why is this such a HUGE story? A few dozen people got into college because they got caught rigging the system. Actually, the guy who scammed them got caught and he used their celebrity against them by helping the Feds set them up in some sort of plea agreement. Now - a huge investigation that will likely cost more than all of the money involved in the scheme. Add the court costs and this is clearly upside down from the outset. So why pursue it? Because it is about catching celebrities and headlines, not about catching criminals.

I understand that people are upset, but this is bread and circuses.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'll just offer my perspective, as you guys have. The mindless masses on social media are upset about this. JMO, but any time that you find yourself in agreement with the masses, it is time to stop and reconsider your position.

Why is this such a HUGE story? A few dozen people got into college because they got caught rigging the system. Actually, the guy who scammed them got caught and he used their celebrity against them by helping the Feds set them up in some sort of plea agreement. Now - a huge investigation that will likely cost more than all of the money involved in the scheme. Add the court costs and this is clearly upside down from the outset. So why pursue it? Because it is about catching celebrities and headlines, not about catching criminals.

I understand that people are upset, but this is bread and circuses.
Tax evasion. Wire fraud. Bribery. Academic fraud.

Yep... No reason to spend the money for an investigation on that.

Come on, B1G. That's beyond silly. And this is more than just the "masses" being upset on social media. Posting that comment on a message board is more than ironic, too.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tax evasion. Wire fraud. Bribery. Academic fraud.
Sorry, let's talk about this because it is silly. These folks did not set out to do any of these things (other than academic fraud) and you know it. Think about it. Let's talk about each, one at a time:

* Tax evasion - do you really think that they went into this to avoid paying taxes? This is only a charge because the guy running the scam only allowed them to pay him this way.
* Wire fraud - they have no idea what wire fraud is. Most people talking about this have no idea what wire fraud is. They certainly were not trying to break this law.
* Bribery - of who? This is not some government agency being bribed for business - this is someone at a college being bribed to help a kid get into the school. Are you seriously going to tell me that you are worried about the fact that someone got paid here? We are college football fans, right? Pot meet kettle
* Academic fraud - This is the only legitimate charge. But I don't know of anyone who has gone to jail for this - ever. Look at what was happening at UNC. Did anyone go to jail there? The level of fraud committed at UNC makes this look like some 1st grader copying the art work of his neighbor.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Sorry, let's talk about this because it is silly. These folks did not set out to do any of these things (other than academic fraud) and you know it. Think about it. Let's talk about each, one at a time:

* Tax evasion - do you really think that they went into this to avoid paying taxes? This is only a charge because the guy running the scam only allowed them to pay him this way.
* Wire fraud - they have no idea what wire fraud is. Most people talking about this have no idea what wire fraud is. They certainly were not trying to break this law.
* Bribery - of who? This is not some government agency being bribed for business - this is someone at a college being bribed to help a kid get into the school. Are you seriously going to tell me that you are worried about the fact that someone got paid here? We are college football fans, right? Pot meet kettle
* Academic fraud - This is the only legitimate charge. But I don't know of anyone who has gone to jail for this - ever. Look at what was happening at UNC. Did anyone go to jail there? The level of fraud committed at UNC makes this look like some 1st grader copying the art work of his neighbor.
Ignorance of a law does not make you innocent of breaking that law.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah, go with that. Because intent doesn't matter at all. :rolleyes:
Well, it really doesn't wrt to the law.

Then again, I don't see any of these 'crimes' affecting anyone else, unless some students weren't allowed to attend the school that would have otherwise due to these students being there.

Seems like much ado about nothing to me. I'm more surprised that people seems surprised by all this.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well, it really doesn't wrt to the law.

Then again, I don't see any of these 'crimes' affecting anyone else, unless some students weren't allowed to attend the school that would have otherwise due to these students being there.

Seems like much ado about nothing to me. I'm more surprised that people seems surprised by all this.
Yeah, same here. I just assumed the majority of society figured this has always been going on.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It is a big deal because there was some worthy student who did not get a place due to that place being sold...I know students who bust their butts to make the grades and scores to get admitted and just miss out. And these get a pass because their parents are wealthy???

The Wall Street Journal has had a story every day since this broke -- as well as an editorial -- and they are excoriating those involved. Given their political leanings I would not have supposed that at all....

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah, go with that. Because intent doesn't matter at all. :rolleyes:
The amount of leniency granted because of intent would be handled by prosecutors, juries, and judges. It still does not make them innocent because they didn't know about it. People are jailed every single day for breaking laws they didn't know they were breaking.

Some of the articles mentioned that William H Macy & his wife had a meeting to go over how the scam works so it sounds like the guy was pretty up front with these people about just how they would be gaming the system. And even if he told them "oh yeah this is all above board" they still should be checking with their own lawyers and doing their own due diligence if something sounded too good to be true.

What's weird to me is how up in arms you seem to be about people being arrested for breaking the law. Is it the biggest crime scandal in history? Of course not but these people shouldn't be above the law anymore than someone else.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't think that many people are really surprised by this.

I just think people are newly awakened to the idea that this kind of stuff has to end if we want more equality.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It is a big deal because there was some worthy student who did not get a place due to that place being sold..
If that happened, they yes, I agree. But most schools don't have hard limits on the numbers of students they admit - generally speaking if you qualify, you're admitted.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think that many people are really surprised by this.

I just think people are newly awakened to the idea that this kind of stuff has to end if we want more equality.
I don't want equality, but I do want fairness. And nothing about this was fair. Yes, some worthy students who did things the right way and who were likely brilliant, were not afforded the opportunity because of these cheaters. I'm not sure what punishment fits these crimes, but they were crimes.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't want equality, but I do want fairness. And nothing about this was fair. Yes, some worthy students who did things the right way and who were likely brilliant, were not afforded the opportunity because of these cheaters. I'm not sure what punishment fits these crimes, but they were crimes.
Not to make this political but most people (or at least me in this context) mean "equal opportunity" or fairness when they refer to equality.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Brings to mind when my daughter was applying for admission to college. Because of a favorite aunt who was head of nursing at a B'ham hospital, nursing was her chosen field. She experienced the extreme from both ends. She was turned down by UGA :rolleyes: on one end and on the other end Ole Miss wanted her so badly, I thought they were going to come to Georgia and just take her away. She received her BSN from the University of Alabama.

To this day I have never understood the UGA thingy, but perhaps someone bought her spot. But all's well that ends well. Because of it she hates UGA with a passion:biggrin:, and has done extremely well in the thirty years she has been in that profession. She has RN, BSN, and MSN after her name on her business card. She has just accepted a new position at a 75% increase in pay which was already at six figures.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.