Question: How much of a role does Saban play in the weekly defensive game plan?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm sure somewhere buried in the pages of Tidefans someone has answered this. I know he coaches the secondary hands on during practice. But I wonder how much input does he have in overall defensive game plans from week to week? For me personally, the jury is still out on our new DC. Granted, he's working with a lot of young players and I'm taking that into consideration. With as many youngsters as we've got playing this season on defense. I wonder if Saban has gotten more involved than he normally does with the defense to help with this aspect?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Before anyone comments on this, I want everyone to read this:
https://247sports.com/college/alaba...ads-Alabama-Football-young-defense-137072436/

“I think it says a whole lot about Pete Golding and the job that he’s done,” Pruitt said. “That’s not easy to do, to take freshmen and to go run that defense and run it effectively and efficiently as they’ve been able to. It says a lot about those two young men that they have the maturity to be the signal-callers. They obviously were good playmakers when they come out of high school. But there’s more to it than just being a playmaker. You’ve got to have command and be able to communicate, and they’ve obviously done a really nice job doing that.
“Pete’s a very bright guy,” Saban said. “I think he has really good relationships with his players. I think he’s been put in a really, really difficult situation because what players that develop and what has happened here in the past, on both sides of the ball, is the older players always help the younger players tremendously.
“And Dylan Moses was really, really good at that. And he was really good for the young players. What Pete’s been, sort of once Dylan got hurt, we don’t really have an experienced player at that position -- an older guy or young guy. So, we don’t have that guy that sort of can be a little bit of a mentor to the young guys to help them develop, and Pete has had to do that from scratch kind of on his own. And I think he’s done a really, really good job with those guys, has much more patience than maybe I do relative to how he teaches. So, I think he’s done a really good job.”
I feel like People need to understand that Golding and Saban had to simplify the defense plays because we had so much youth on the team. I feel like Golding has improved so much in recent weeks because of adjustments made on the depth chart. We started to see Baramore, Lewis and Jenning on field at same time. Saban will always have inputs, but at the end of the day, he let them do their job. LSU game will tell us a lot about where we are as a team. This year isn't the time to question Golding. Next year will be the time.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I've wondered the same thing. I'd think with the off week and a game of this magnitude that Saban has been more involved but that's purely a guess on my part. I also wonder Charles Kelly, who has previous DC experience, is used as a back-stop of sorts for Pete...I really hope that we were able to use the off week to get to the point of opening up the playbook a bit on that side of the ball.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Contrast this with Smart at Georgia. I saw a game where I believe he was actually calling/sending in the plays. He doesn't seem to trust his DC. Saban consults but appears to allow his coaches to coach.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To answer the OP's question - every group's game plan is developed by the coordinators and coaches, working with the group of consultants who do situational analysis. They then sit down with Saban and go over every aspect of that game plan. My understanding is that Saban makes comments and asks a lot of questions, but he lets his coaches and coordinators do their jobs in developing and implementing the game plans.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I've often wondered the same thing, but not just in relation to Golding, but in relation to a head coach like Saban. Do coaches who seem to be more controlling, i.e. not a CEO type coach, get more involved on their side of the ball during game planning.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've often wondered the same thing, but not just in relation to Golding, but in relation to a head coach like Saban. Do coaches who seem to be more controlling, i.e. not a CEO type coach, get more involved on their side of the ball during game planning.
No doubt they do and Saban has said as much. OTOH, I think that Saban has major, hands-on input into DB tactics. He'll never give that up. The team will always reflect his philosophies. However, in the strategic aspects - when to go to dime, etc., I think he approves the coordinators' and staff planning...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.