Question: 2 guys from London, UK are attending the Crimson Tide Football game. What's the best way to get to the game from Birmingham

UK_RollTide

Jun 20, 2022
Hi all. As the title says. My friend and I are from London, UK and attending the Crimson Tide Football game against Texas A&M. What's the best way to attend the game from Birmingham? We also want to experience tailgating and enjoy the day with fans.

Are there fan coaches that can take us there and back?

Any real chance of getting fans traveling to pick us Brits up?

Any helpful advice is welcome.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Hi all. As the title says. My friend and I are from London, UK and attending the Crimson Tide Football game against Texas A&M. What's the best way to attend the game from Birmingham? We also want to experience tailgating and enjoy the day with fans.

Are there fan coaches that can take us there and back?

Any real chance of getting fans traveling to pick us Brits up?

Any helpful advice is welcome.
We are we talking about Birmingham, Al and not Birmingham, UK?

From BHM it’s a 45 minute drive on light traffic days. But generally speaking plan 3-5 hours before kickoff. Personally I like Hoover better than BHM so I usually tell people to stay there over actual BHM.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 92tide and CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
We are we talking about Birmingham, Al and not Birmingham, UK?

From BHM it’s a 45-hour drive on light traffic days. But generally speaking plan 3-5 hours before kickoff. Personally I like Hoover better than BHM so I usually tell people to stay there over actual BHM.
I would agree. Plenty on nice hotels in the Hoover (south of downtown Birmingham) area. Hyatt Regency, Renaissance -Birmingham Ross Bridge, Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites, all the way to Hampton and Holiday Inn depending on your budget. You can take I-459 south to I-20/59 to Tuscaloosa. About 45 minutes or so drive. As 92 says, give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the pre-game atmosphere.

I would plan on hanging around a while after the game as well. Take in some places on the strip and let some of the traffic back to Hoover/Birmingham “thin out” if you’re driving.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
There is, or at least was, a guy in Birmingham that ran a charter bus shuttle business for Bama games (round trip). I haven't used this guy for home games, but I have for some Bama away games (last time was 2018 for NC game vs. UGA). At least his website is still up and running... If you stay in the Birmingham/Hoover area, this could be an option for you. One, or both, of these addresses should get you to his webpage.

Reactions: Crimson1967

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
What game are you guys going to? Don't forget to come back to this forum and tell us how it went. I'm assuming you are of the male species, so I have to warn you about something. Beautiful girls in sundresses wearing cowboy boots. Lord have mercy.

UK_RollTide

Jun 20, 2022
Hi All,
Thanks to all the replies, very helpful and much appreciated.

To give more context to our stay. We're flying in from London to Houston the week before, renting a car and driving through to Nashville, stopping in Alabama for the Roll Tide vs A&M game (We do have game tickets).

We're planning to stay in Birmingham for the game and ideally would like to get some sort of transportation there and back whether it's private or public. We do have the ability to drive but prefer not to as we would like to drink throughout the day and enjoy the day with the fans.

Would be great to get involved in a tailgate and meet all of you guys.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Hi All,

To give more context to our stay. We're flying in from London to Houston the week before, renting a car and driving through to Nashville, stopping in Alabama for the Roll Tide vs A&M game (We do have game tickets).

We're planning to stay in Birmingham for the game and ideally would like to get some sort of transportation there and back whether it's private or public. We do have the ability to drive but prefer not to as we would like to drink throughout the day and enjoy the day with the fans.

If y'all get to Brum by way of Ashby-de-la-Zouch or Tamworth, it'll be a more scenic trip. (Note the blue font on this board is for gentle saracasm - sort of like sporting a Birmingham City shirt. Or these days, the Baggies of West Brom.)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hi All,

My suggestion would be, once you book your accommodations, to check with the hotel. I would think they would be able to make recommendations about transportation/shuttles to Tuscaloosa for the game.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I've been trying to do some research for you guys about transportation and I'm not coming up with a ton of options. Birmingham to Tuscaloosa is about an hour one way on a good day. There is ZERO public transport between those two cities, so the best bet is finding a private business running a gameday shuttle. There's always Uber or Lyft, but that will probably be pretty expensive . You might look into some of these:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
… We do have the ability to drive but prefer not to as we would like to drink throughout the day and enjoy the day with the fans ..
Many of us prefer to drink throughout the day as well. :)Sober friends/Bama fans/drivers are highly valued; but keep reminding us and someone will take care of you.

UK_RollTide

Jun 20, 2022
Thanks again for all the replies. Really appreciated.

We'll keep looking and if needs to, we would drive ourselves.

Ideally, what i would like to happen is that closer to the game I could come across some lovely folks who are also going to the game willing to pick us up, experience the southern hospitality ;). Obviously, we'd chip in for gas and anything else.

Happy to get back to this forum throughout the months and see what happens

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Thanks again for all the replies. Really appreciated.

We'll keep looking and if needs to, we would drive ourselves.

Ideally, what i would like to happen is that closer to the game I could come across some lovely folks who are also going to the game willing to pick us up, experience the southern hospitality ;). Obviously, we'd chip in for gas and anything else.

Happy to get back to this forum throughout the months and see what happens
Travel from the UK is a long way to go for a football game, so I’m curious — what’s your connection to Alabama and/or the Crimson Tide?

If there is no real connection, and you’re still a fan, how did that come about?

UK_RollTide

Jun 20, 2022
Travel from the UK is a long way to go for a football game, so I’m curious — what’s your connection to Alabama and/or the Crimson Tide?

If there is no real connection, and you’re still a fan, how did that come about?
No personal connection, we're fans of football and we want to experience college football, and we know the best team and the best fans are the Crimson Tide so we decided to base a road trip around what looks the be the biggest game of the regular season.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
This is another Brit who fell in love with the Tide but I am now based in Orangeland aka Tennessee. Actually, I've lived here longer than I lived in the U.K. (see avatar) I've followed Alabama since 1980 and Man City since I was six (a few decades ago) I obviously like to follow winning teams and once chosen stay with them through thick and thin. I do hope you enjoy your visit to the U.S. Nashville is a fun city. I am sure you have a good reason to go to Houston but Austin would have been my choice.

BTW Check out the Gameday tab on this site for more info.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.