6A Baseball championship

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Has anyone seen what happened to Hartselle in the baseball championship game? Ump inserted himself where he shouldn’t have. Cost Hartselle a championship....literally.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Whatchu talking about Wills? 🤣
Need a little more than that please...
Hartselle hits a sac fly in the bottom of the 7th. Kid on 3rd was tagging up and scored to win the game. Dog pile ensues, Hartselle celebrates. Faith Academy tags 3rd and the ump calls the runner out. They play another inning and Faith Academy scores 7 runs in the top of the inning and is awarded the championship.
Clear video evidence shows the ump blew the call. AHSAA won’t let it be reviewed.

• Wow
Reactions: The Ols

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Where is this "clear video evidence" because the video in the article is all pixelated until right after the point of the catch and tag up, then the video then clears up like they are trying to obscure what really happened? Is there more video out there?

The only other image I have seen, a split screen image showing the outfielder with ball in glove and the run just barely on third (possibly, I could see a case made that is toes are in the dirt but not touching the base). How were these images synced up? Was this game broadcast on TV were the cameras would all have synced time-code? If that image was made from 2 different sources, like people's phones or photos from the media, there is no way to know if they re truly synced to the same moment in time.

I can see a case for both sides. Maybe he left a split second too early, maybe he didn't. It was very close and bang bang. It's not as clear as some on social media are making it out to be, at least I haven't seen this 100% clear evidence yet.

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Where is this "clear video evidence" because the video in the article is all pixelated until right after the point of the catch and tag up, then the video then clears up like they are trying to obscure what really happened? Is there more video out there?

The only other image I have seen, a split screen image showing the outfielder with ball in glove and the run just barely on third (possibly, I could see a case made that is toes are in the dirt but not touching the base). How were these images synced up? Was this game broadcast on TV were the cameras would all have synced time-code? If that image was made from 2 different sources, like people's phones or photos from the media, there is no way to know if they re truly synced to the same moment in time.

I can see a case for both sides. Maybe he left a split second too early, maybe he didn't. It was very close and bang bang. It's not as clear as some on social media are making it out to be, at least I haven't seen this 100% clear evidence yet.
The video I saw was from a YouTube video of a news type broadcast. It had the 2 videos side by side and I have read that it was done on site at the event.
The kid on 3rd was moving when the ball was caught in the video. I won’t dispute that, but he’s clearly on the bag. I did a screen recording of the YouTube video so I can slo mo it and back up and go forward as I please.
The umpire should not have inserted himself into that situation. It’s a “swallow the whistle“ moment. Unless it’s something overly blatant, you have to let it go. Now it’s proven the ump was wrong and has screwed a team of kids out of a championship.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
It's not "inserting himself into the situation" if the ref thinks a guy is out. It's just a terrible call. You don't swallow your whistle if you think a team didn't really score the winning run because the guy was out. You call it as you see it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You call it as you see it.
Wrong. As someone who actually has officiated for the AHSAA in both football and baseball the first thing you are taught is to call WHAT YOU ACTUALLY SEE, and don’t call something you think you might see.There is absolutely NO WAY you could say either happened in a 3 man crew on the field. Tie goes to the runner and the more likely play when in doubt in most umpire's thought process. But what we have here is an umpire that wants to have his name in the papers and said on TV. The guy should have never made that call, and should be suspended indefinitely.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

There is NO WAY he could have made that call is the point. If AHSAA allowed video review in baseball like they do in football then sure... Better safe than sorry. This umpire was just being a donkey. You dont make that call unless it is clear and you actually saw him leave early. This umpire should be suspended for next year and not be allowed to officiate a playoff game ever again.

• Thank You
Reactions: AlistarWills

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.