After a few days to review the UA-UGA game (and our future in general)...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I know Saban still seems youthful for a 72 year old, but I would imagine that at some point Miss Terry is going to say she wants some time with him while he's still able to do some things, and at 72 it doesn't take too much to go from perfectly healthy to not well. I want Coach Saban to coach as long as he possibly can, but that's also very selfish of me.
I know some people that think Saban will retire if when he wins it all this year.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Perhaps he could stick around as the special AD to transition the program.

And maybe I'm dating myself, but I never thought Sears would disappear...and yet it did.

Change is strange...and hard sometimes.
I would love that as well. I just don’t get the feeling Coach Saban would be the type to “hang around”. I think he’s more the type that “done is done”. Plus I think Coach Saban is the type that knows he will be a tough act to follow and remaining around could cast a “long shadow”.

Reactions: GboyBama

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Will they rename the stadium after Saban retires? Saban-Bryant-Denny? wait. That doesn't have quite the same ring. Saban-Bryant Stadium? Bryant-Saban Stadium?

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
No one knows when Coach Saban will hang it up, but I do believe he stays around until we play West Virginia because that would mean a lot to him

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Regarding Saban:
I have no information other than what I’ve read on TideFans. But if we do win it all this year, I could see Saban retiring.

The lure of time with grandchildren balanced with lucrative and low-stress gigs in broadcasting and consulting would have to be strong. Just because he doesn’t want to sit at home doesn’t necessarily mean he’s still coaching.

Due to the threat of the transfer portal already mentioned, I could also see a simultaneous announcement of Saban’s retirement and the successor, including the successor’s coaching staff.

And yes, I could see Rees being elevated. As my off-board friend Isaiah 63:1 says, continued success after a legend retires is never guaranteed. But the best chance for that is elevating an accomplished lieutenant.

Further, I could see Saban agreeing to stay on in some capacity to smooth the transition. I’ve always thought the worst thing that ever happened to Ray Perkins was Bryant dying so soon. If Bryant had been around to round out some of Perkins’ rough edges, I think we’d all have been better off.

Regarding Division 0, or whatever it may be called:
I’m for it. I’d prefer the old pre-O’Bannon setup. But that’s as dead as dinosaurs, and I’m not going to be the old man yelling at clouds or Caligula commanding the tide not to come in.

Given the legal world we face today, I’m also for a collegiate analogue to the NFL Players Association. It would provide for a uniform approach to NIL across D-0. And being a labor union would come under the supervision of the NLRB.

Yeah, it’s government and I would prefer something else. But they have subpoena power and don’t play around with compliance with the contract. IOW, boosters beware….the Feds <> the NCAA.

Ask the aTm collective that the IRS nuked how that works.

It has drawbacks, but beats the current situation by light years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rush and NoNC4Tubs

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Wow Jess. you bring it every time but I was caught off guard with this brilliant piece. But I will say this. Saban is not retiring anytime soon. Thank God for that!

Reactions: dathbama

2003TIDE

Suspended
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Watched the reply a couple of times after attending in person. Helps really appreciate how well the team played after the first quarter adjustments. Really the only bad play that still stands out is the punt return we allowed in the 4th qtr that set up a quick UGA TD. It was super obvious when they stacked both return guys they had a return play on. Both of them split out and our punt coverage team has no idea which side of the field the kick went to. Everyone bit when the guy in the far side faked the catch. They didn’t spend any time discussing it on TV, but was super obvious in person.

On the Saban thing, I told some UGA guys that asked before our last NC trophy it wouldn’t surprise me if he retired then. At some point, I’d think that spending time with the grandkids fishing on the boat at lake Burton will sound a lot better than the schedule he keeps now. I won’t even be mad.

Reactions: dathbama

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Watched the reply a couple of times after attending in person. Helps really appreciate how well the team played after the first quarter adjustments. Really the only bad play that still stands out is the punt return we allowed in the 4th qtr that set up a quick UGA TD. It was super obvious when they stacked both return guys they had a return play on. Both of them split out and our punt coverage team has no idea which side of the field the kick went to. They didn’t spend any time discussing it on TV, but was super obvious in person.

On the Saban thing, I told some UGA guys that asked before our last NC trophy it wouldn’t surprise me if he retired then. At some point, I’d think that spending time with the grandkids fishing on the boat at lake Burton will sound a lot better than the schedule he keeps now. I won’t even be mad.
it seemed like that was an unusually low and short punt by burnip too. the uga dude caught it running almost full speed

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I wouldn’t be shocked if his “fun” begins to decrease when players actually start to get paid.

Reactions: GboyBama

2003TIDE

Suspended
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
it seemed like that was an unusually low and short punt by burnip too. the uga dude caught it running almost full speed
it really didn’t look like it at game. I think it was a good punt, most of the return guys just went with the decoy guy.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

2003TIDE

Suspended
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
He needs to tone down some things for sure.

And he’s good enough to let his play speak for him.
As long as he isn’t getting dumb 15yd flags, I’m fine with it. Different people get themselves amped up/ready different ways. Apparently his is trash talking before the game, during the game, and after the game in the parking lot as they board the bus.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Whenever CNS retires whoever gets the job- see Les Miles, Ed Coker , Dennis Erickson. The residuals will last a while. It won’t end as quick as Bear Bryant’s era.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads