Alabama QBs in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollsTide

Sep 10, 2023
"Dumbed down"? That's what you call it? A smarter mind than both of us will have Milroe starting at quarterback this September. And there won't be anything you can do about it! I look forward to seeing Milroe in DeBoer's offense.
I too would like to see Milroe do well but it's more about his leadership among the players. However, after the first few games, it wasn't a secret that our offense had been changed, or tweaked because Milroe had issues running the offense.
With that said, I was a big fan of Lamar Jackson after watching him in college but as good as he was at running, most teams didn't want to take a chance on him. The Raven's changed their offense to fit around him and he just won his second NFL MVP.
I think we all need to see how things look when the A game rolls around.

Bill from NYC

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2020
The trick with Jalen will be to be able to pass but to know when to run. Frankly, at times he got confused on which he thought he could/should do last year.

He struggles with both and will need to see improvement on both.
You are of course 100% correst but the thing is, last season was Milroe's 3rd year in the system. Now, let's compare his performance to that of Mac and Bryce after 3 seasons. We just can't. Hurts and Tua were great in their freshman seasons. In reality, if Milroe wasn't such a strong, fast runner, he might not be a very good quarterback.

It is said that it's hard for running quarterbacks to come from behind and win. Milroe did so against Auburn and I give him a ton of credit. That said, Auburn played the dumbest defense I ever saw in decades of watching football. He had more time to throw on the final play than any QB I have ever seen on any one play. He probably had another 10 seconds to wait if he had to. Other teams will not be as stupid as Auburn.

If Milroe is the starter this season so be it. The coaches know a hell of a lot more than I do. It is however my hope that he isn't handed the job because he needs to earn it imo. He seems like a good kid and I wish him the best. Do I have 100% confidence in him? Unlike Hurts, Mac, Tua, and Bryce, I am going to say no, I do not.

As always, JMO.

LittleLexi

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2022
"Dumbed down"? That's what you call it? A smarter mind than both of us will have Milroe starting at quarterback this September. And there won't be anything you can do about it! I look forward to seeing Milroe in DeBoer's offense.
This is a Pro Style Offense DeBoer is bringing in. Getting sacked 6 times a game does not fit into this style offense. Looking at 1 guy running down the fiend is not this style of offense. If you think for 1 second Milroe can process like Penix can, well I guess we are not watching the same guy.

LittleLexi

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2022
Sadly, I agree. For a running QB he really struggled to make defenders miss in the backfield. Hoping he improves.
A prime example is the last run of the season. Puts his head down and trips over his own player. If he keeps his head up and see the guy rushing past him, he runs to that part of the line and scores.

JM is a very scary player; I think that is very obvious, but he just can't see the entire field or process the offense that's going to be thrown at him.

LittleLexi

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2022
Would "simplified" be better???

Call it what you want to call it, but JM couldn't run what CNS called "the Bama offense" so it had to be "reduced, simplified, dumbed down" or whatever.

The synonym doesn't matter.
You are correct on simplified or reduced, but I am not a pc kind of guy. It all means the same thing in the end. But that was last year and this year is fixing to start and I seriously doubt this Mack transfer QB is just here to sit around.

Reactions: HighlandOak

Bill from NYC

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2020
A smarter mind than both of us will have Milroe starting at quarterback this September. And there won't be anything you can do about it!
Well, that is obvious. There are thousands of posters on this page and none of us are the head coach of The Crimson Tide. Should this stop us from posting our opinions? I mean, isn't that a good part of the reason we are here?

I think that Milroe is good. I also think that he is NOT as good as our previous 4 starting QBs, and perhaps more. Additionally, I think that Milroe takes far too many sacks for a player who can run like he can, and that he has trouble finding his second and third receivers.Will he be able to fix these issues? I don't know, this IS year four, right?

In any event, I am not as "smart" as Coach DeBoer, but I figured that I would chime in anyway.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Well, that is obvious. There are thousands of posters on this page and none of us are the head coach of The Crimson Tide. Should this stop us from posting our opinions? I mean, isn't that a good part of the reason we are here?

I think that Milroe is good. I also think that he is NOT as good as our previous 4 starting QBs, and perhaps more. Additionally, I think that Milroe takes far too many sacks for a player who can run like he can, and that he has trouble finding his second and third receivers.Will he be able to fix these issues? I don't know, this IS year four, right?

In any event, I am not as "smart" as Coach DeBoer, but I figured that I would chime in anyway.
Good post and thanks for bumping this thread back to the top. Milroe talk already starting to dominate the spring practice news thread.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bill from NYC

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Good post and thanks for bumping this thread back to the top. Milroe talk already starting to dominate the spring practice news thread.
My thought has been that DeBoer in his first game will conclude that his least risk is starting Milroe. I believe it is a given. It is reasonable to hope that he will work in other QB's in game situations which almost never happened under CNS. Ultimately he will work in his best performing QB from Spring and Fall. Otherwise why would he have 3 other QB's? We should know a bit more by the spring game. By the time the Wisconsin trip comes around he will need a QB prepared to run his offense. If not it could become a very long season for the coaches, players and fans.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
My thought has been that DeBoer in his first game will conclude that his least risk is starting Milroe. I believe it is a given. It is reasonable to hope that he will work in other QB's in game situations which almost never happened under CNS. Ultimately he will work in his best performing QB from Spring and Fall. Otherwise why would he have 3 other QB's? We should know a bit more by the spring game. By the time the Wisconsin trip comes around he will need a QB prepared to run his offense. If not it could become a very long season for the coaches, players and fans.
Milroe is the incumbent and should be getting the hard look to start because he deserves it. But I do not think Coach is going to name a starter until the Fall because we need all of these guys to stay and not transfer. But whoever he names I am absolutely sure will be able to run the offense well enough to score points early and often. RB is a strength of this team so i think we are going to see a lot schemed to get the ball in their hands early in the season.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Probably the most underrated aspect of being a successful QB is work ethic. It's why Jalen Hurts got to where he is. It's why Brady was so good.

Clearly Milroe has that. Because of that I'm not going to count him out. While I agree with a lot of the criticisms that he gets I often think people take it a step to far. Never count someone out with this kind of work ethic

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads