Bama defense not getting enough credit

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
It's too early to tell. We have the benefit of seeing the entire seasons of past defenses and only the first 4 games of this season. They still struggle watching the QB taking off, and covering the TE, which a lot of teams do. And they didn't get off the field on a couple 3rd or 4th and forevers yesterday. But they do look to be getting a little better each week. Yesterday they were pretty salty in the second half. Really got after the QB. Very promising!

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The point wasn’t to compare the 2023 D to the 2022 D other than to suggest we tap the brakes on suggesting Bama’s D is back. When they’re top10 in the primary defensive statistical rankings we can talk - that’s where the legit Saban defenses have been ranked.

Is Bama‘s D better in 2023? I believe so, but they have lots of room to improve.
Those rankings don’t mean much at this time since many teams haven’t played anyone with a pulse yet, much less a top 5 and top 20. At this point in the season this looks like at least a top 10 D despite stats with no context - maybe the best Bama D since 2017.

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I think the ILB play after Lawson left was very good. Promising.

Jackson Dart didn’t appear to be very good.
It looked to me as though he was affected by the pressures. Noticeably more than Ewers experienced. Texas has a better OL I am sure. I didn't look at the Baylor vs UTx game at all, so I am not sure about that.

Scobaman

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2010
The improvement in the defense from last year to this year has been remarkable. I love seeing our linebackers stop running backs in their tracks when they try to turn the corner. And who would have thought a backer could run Dart down like happened when he tried to escape and Turner took him down from behind. We also have three DB's that can run step for step with receivers. With these units playing like they are, it will be especially tough on the opposing offense if the defensive line continues to get better.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To follow up on Alabama's schedule thus far, Sagarin actually has Alabama ranked #1 and has them with an SoS of 10. Of course you have to take computers with a grain of salt, especially early, but it's obviously indicative of a tough schedule.

The Miss. State game should be a really good indicator of where this Alabama team is. Miss. State is a competitive but ultimately mediocre team, so we should learn some things.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The point wasn’t to compare the 2023 D to the 2022 D other than to suggest we tap the brakes on suggesting Bama’s D is back. When they’re top10 in the primary defensive statistical rankings we can talk - that’s where the legit Saban defenses have been ranked.

Is Bama‘s D better in 2023? I believe so, but they have lots of room to improve.
I agree with Brad on the 2023 defense, it is too soon to tell. Our defense is better, but Ole Miss doesn't look as good as they did last year at this point. They play LSU in Oxford on Saturday which should say something about their 2023 team.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To follow up on Alabama's schedule thus far, Sagarin actually has Alabama ranked #1 and has them with an SoS of 10. Of course you have to take computers with a grain of salt, especially early, but it's obviously indicative of a tough schedule.

The Miss. State game should be a really good indicator of where this Alabama team is. Miss. State is a competitive but ultimately mediocre team, so we should learn some things.
I'm concerned with the start time and location.

This will be Milroe's first road start...

If the team comes out and plays with the same discipline and intensity they displayed in the 2nd half last week, that will say a lot about their maturity.

Reactions: KrAzY3

spidermayin

1st Team
Dec 4, 2018
There's too many instances of me saying "There was nobody covering that guy" during the game, but they do look much improved so far.

Reactions: Superdad

TS1926

Sep 12, 2023
Lost in the shuffle, this is one of the best Bama defenses in years. They have had only one bad quarter out of 16 quarters, which is incredible. And that one bad quarter, the defense was tired in that fourth quarter of the game, because our offense couldn’t sustain drives.

Thank you Mr. Steele and Mr. Saban.
I agree to an extent. I think they can be very good to almost elite based on what I've seen so far. The primary issues keeping them from elite are they do not have a Day 1 draft pick at the tackle position and they don't have the talented depth up front that they used to enjoy. I also think the LBs are good but not elite.

STONECOLDSABAN

Hall of Fame
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I agree with Brad on the 2023 defense, it is too soon to tell. Our defense is better, but Ole Miss doesn't look as good as they did last year at this point. They play LSU in Oxford on Saturday which should say something about their 2023 team.
I agree to an extent. I think they can be very good to almost elite based on what I've seen so far. The primary issues keeping them from elite are they do not have a Day 1 draft pick at the tackle position and they don't have the talented depth up front that they used to enjoy. I also think the LBs are good but not elite.
I am not going to argue either of these points because yall could both be very right. I want to see Bama play more games. I will argue I can see a difference already. There is more intensity, guys seem to be out of place less and less, and we are getting more turnovers. I know some fans are harping on qb's getting away when the play breaks down, but I don't know how you prepare for that. Overall, I would say this is a step in the right direction.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I just don't understand why, no matter who our DC has been recently, we refuse to cover the middle of the field. Whether it is a running QB, a TE or a slant to a WR, the middle of the field was open the whole game.
Nick Saban defense 101. Cornerbacks on an island. And get enough pressure early so routes don’t have enough time to develop. And have linebackers and ball-hawking safeties who play out of their mind to defend the middle. It works 98% of the time.

TS1926

Sep 12, 2023
I am not going to argue either of these points because yall could both be very right. I want to see Bama play more games. I will argue I can see a difference already. There is more intensity, guys seem to be out of place less and less, and we are getting more turnovers. I know some fans are harping on qb's getting away when the play breaks down, but I don't know how you prepare for that. Overall, I would say this is a step in the right direction.
I can’t argue with that.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads