Bama vs Auburn Softball Series

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL
Need a sweep to avoid the first losing record ever in Sec play.Auburn is pretty bad this season at 7-14 in conference play so hopefully we can pull it off.RTR!

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Need a sweep to avoid the first losing record ever in Sec play.Auburn is pretty bad this season at 7-14 in conference play so hopefully we can pull it off.RTR!
Yep. We are currently in 9th place in the SEC. (can you believe that?) We hit the ball pretty well against Ole Miss, (last place), and I'm hoping we can do the same vs the Barn. We need the sweep just to be at .500 in the SEC. I think we are at 7pm tonight, ESPN U. We need to finish strong.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Bit of an ugly first inning. BAMA goes 1-2-3 in the top. Beaver walks the lead off in the bottom, gets a couple of outs, then gives up 2-run dinger. 2-0 Barn after one inning.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Top of second, we get two on, one out thanks to walk and infield single. We follow that with two K's. Still watching good pitches go by and swinging at bad pitches.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Auburn adds another run on a double, and a single. Thought we could have had the runner at the plate but the catcher came out to, I guess, try and catch it in the air. It would have one-hopped right to her and she would have had a good shot at an out. Then we get called for obstruction because we don't move out of the way and put a runner on third. Luckily, that didn't hurt us. So far, Auburn is making pretty goog contact vs Beaver.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Beaver's walk steals second, then scores on a two out single by Auburn. That makes it 4-0 Auburn. That's followed by a walk. Auburn then does a double steal and we don't even make a throw. Luckily we get out of it. Auburn is 3/5 with RISP so far. 4-0 Auburn after three complete.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Top of the 4th, BAMA gets back to back two out walks, but that's followed by a weak strike out on what would have been ball 4. Actually, Dowling should have been called out on the previous pitch. How that wasn't a strike, only the umpire knows. It was a great pitch to drive, but it she watched it go by. BAMA bats stay silent.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
BAMA gets two quick outs in the bottom of the 4th, then gives up a walk, single, and bunt single to load the bases. BAMA is saved when Auburn pops out to deep, deep short on a 3-2 pitch. Still 4-0 Barn.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Auburn strands two in the bottom of the 5th. Nice strike out by Johnson to end the inning. It would sure be nice to help our pitchers out once in a while.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
As I write this, it’s still 4-0 barn, just starting our half of the 6th. Through five innings, we have one hit. Update: First batter bunted on. Second batter grounded into a double-play. Final batter pops to SS.

So far, it’s a microcosm of the year. Pitching is on and off. Tonight off. Fielding is suspect with way too many mental errors. Hitting is consistently lacking against any except bad competition.

To my mind, while pitching and fielding could be better, it’s at heart a hitting issue.

Case in point: We went 1-2 against Tennessee last weekend. Staved off a sweep at home only by winning the last game 1-0. That single run was the sole score in three games. 21 innings / 63 outs and one run.

This has been coming for some time now. Bailey Hemphill and Montana Fouts masked the problem for 5 years. They’re graduated, and there’s no longer anyplace to hide.

The mass exodus after the 2021-22 season was badly telling. Two cases in point: KB Sides was better-than-average in Tuscaloosa, but no superstar. She won SEC POY the next year at Arky. Skylar Wallace, who spent her first two years in Tuscaloosa, was the SEC POY last year….for Florida.

This year is what it is….not anywhere close to standard. Murphy has a mountain of work to do to salvage the future.

Murphy is 58 and has 26 or 27 years in the state retirement system, currently making a salary over $500K (deal signed a year ago). The deal runs through 2028. Don't know the buyout.

IOW, he could walk away and have a really nice lifestyle the rest of his days. Whether the decision is his or Greg Byrne’s, I’ll be mildly surprised if he’s the coach next year. If Murphy stays, I think it'll be because of a buyout Byrne isn't willing to pay and he (Murphy) isn't willing to walk away from.

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
As I write this, it’s still 4-0 barn, just starting our half of the 6th. Through five innings, we have one hit.

So far, it’s a microcosm of the year. Pitching is on and off. Tonight off. Fielding is suspect with way too many mental errors. Hitting is consistently lacking against any except bad competition.

To my mind, while pitching and fielding could be better, it’s at heart a hitting issue.

Case in point: We went 1-2 against Tennessee last weekend. Staved off a sweep at home only by winning the last game 1-0. That single run was the sole score in three games. 21 innings / 63 outs and one run.

This has been coming for some time now. Bailey Hemphill and Montana Fouts masked the problem for 5 years. They’re graduated, and there’s no longer anyplace to hide.

The mass exodus after the 2021-22 season was badly telling. Two cases in point: KB Sides was better-than-average in Tuscaloosa, but no superstar. She won SEC POY the next year at Arky. Skylar Wallace, who spent her first two years in Tuscaloosa, was the SEC POY last year….for Florida.

This year is what it is….not anywhere close to standard. Murphy has a mountain of work to do to salvage the future.

Whether the decision is his or Greg Byrne’s, I’ll be mildly surprised if he’s the coach next year.
Don't forget, that one hit we have was an infield single. :oops:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Don't forget, that one hit we have was an infield single. :oops:
Correct. Through 6, two hits. One infield single. One beating out a bunt. We have not had a hit out of the infield. Against a team that’s 7-14 in the SEC.

Additionally, the barn has yakked up 6 walks, and we still have nothing to show for it.

Update: Nice rally starting in the 7th. But we never should have been in this position.

Last edited: