Bama’s helmet history (short video)

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
So glad that Saban resisted that fad of weird alternate jerseys and black everything that was all the rage for about 5 years not too long ago. I remember that houndstooth accent game, but then I recall him saying that he was putting his foot down on any more such nonsense, and we haven’t seen it since.

Meanwhile, other historical programs have disgraced themselves with random non-team color uniforms multiple times.

Reactions: Go Bama and ROCKEE

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
So glad that Saban resisted that fad of weird alternate jerseys and black everything that was all the rage for about 5 years not too long ago. I remember that houndstooth accent game, but then I recall him saying that he was putting his foot down on any more such nonsense, and we haven’t seen it since.

Meanwhile, other historical programs have disgraced themselves with random non-team color uniforms multiple times.
I like for other teams to do this. Tennessee's Halloween black is pretty cool, because less orange is always welcome.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was in school when the 1960-1961 transition occurred. I can add a bit. As all know, Arkansas's red is almost the same as ours. In 1960, Coach Bryant expressed pleasure with the look of the Hog's helmets, their having already adopted the red helmet. Prior to then, the only way to get a colored helmet was to paint them. By the end of a season, most of the paint was knocked off and the helmets looked like hell. Then, in the late 50s, they perfected a way to add the color dye to the plastic in the process of manufacture. Colored helmets then blossomed all over. The reason for our return to white for receivers and backs was because almost all TVs back then were black and white. Same reason for requiring white jerseys for the visiting team. Also, the white helmets stuck out among the other colored helmets. JMO, but when we play someone else with helmets close to ours (UGA), I'd be in favor of a return to white for receivers and backs...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads