Biden formally designates new Grand Canyon national monument

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
President Biden on Tuesday formally designated a new national monument, the fifth of his presidency, at the Grand Canyon and used his remarks in Arizona to tout the administration’s climate and environmental record.

Biden, speaking at Arizona’s Red Butte Airfield, formally designated the Baaj Nwaavjo I’tah Kukveni Grand Canyon National Monument.

The new monument protects just under 1 million acres, slightly under the 1.1 million acres called for by tribal leaders, who hold the area sacred. The area will be protected from all new uranium mining, extending a 20-year prohibition established in 2012 under the Obama administration.

The Hill

Reactions: dtgreg

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. (AP) — Declaring it good “not only for Arizona but for the planet,” President Joe Biden on Tuesday signed a national monument designation for the greater Grand Canyon, turning the decades-long visions of Native American tribes and environmentalists into reality.

Coming as Biden is on a three-state Western trip, the move will help preserve about 1,562 square miles (4,046 square kilometers) just to the north and south of Grand Canyon National Park. It encompasses canyons, plateaus and tributaries that feed a range of plants and wildlife, including bison, elk, desert bighorn sheep and rare species of cactus, and it is Biden’s fifth monument designation.

Tribes in Arizona have been pushing the president to use his authority under the Antiquities Act of 1906 to create a new national monument called Baaj Nwaavjo I’tah Kukveni. “Baaj Nwaavjo” means “where tribes roam,” for the Havasupai people, while “I’tah Kukveni” translates to “our footprints,” for the Hopi tribe.

AP

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I'm glad he designated the monument. In a time where commercial interests are ripping up entire ecosystems for short term profits (Amazon, Canadian Oil Sands), it's good to see some land permanently preserved and allowed to just be.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I'm glad he designated the monument. In a time where commercial interests are ripping up entire ecosystems for short term profits (Amazon, Canadian Oil Sands), it's good to see some land permanently preserved and allowed to just be.
Continuing the legacy of a great Republican, Teddy Roosevelt. He wanted to keep the lumber and mining interests from destroying our wilderness lands for their cheap profit. Why we have so much public lands today. Something Republicans want to open up to industry.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Continuing the legacy of a great Republican, Teddy Roosevelt. He wanted to keep the lumber and mining interests from destroying our wilderness lands for their cheap profit. Why we have so much public lands today. Something Republicans want to open up to industry.
The current Republicans have little in common politically with the Teddy Roosevelt Republicans.

My favorite subversive quote: "Many good civil servants work for the IRS, but the agency itself is toxic".

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Roosevelt was never supposed to be President.
William McKinley’s first Vice President, Garret Hobart, died in office. McKinley had a good relationship with Hobart and he likely would have been re-nominated in 1900.

Roosevelt had risen to national prominence in the Spanish-American War in 1898. That got him elected governor of New York that year. The GOP wanted him out of the way so they put him up for VP in 1900. Then McKinley was killed six months into his second term and the rest is history.

Roosevelt would have been labeled a tree hugger today although the MAGA crowd would have been excited that he went to Africa and shot everything that moved.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.