Eli Ricks Arrested-Charge Dismissed by Court

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Probably because it was a) speeding b) lack of proof insurance and c) possession of weed (assuming it is less than 30 grams meaning it would be misdemeanor possession).

The fact he had three possible violations probably got him the ride to the klink.
In many Southern states, simple possession of Marijuana gets a trip to jail.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Seems a matter of degree. If he was going 15 mph over with a joint or 2 and has insurance but not a card in his glovebox, it's a bit different than going 100 with a big stash and an uninsured vehicle. How much of this info do we have at the moment?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My biggest question is why Laurel Mississippi? Does he like Hometown that much?
My thought is they should make Ricks work with Ben and Erin for a couple of weeks as “community service”. That should be punishment enough.

But it may fall into the realm of “cruel and unusual” if Erin makes him spend 6 hours one day deciding on a wallpaper selection.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Speeding in one of the top 2 or 3 reasons for accidents, and it's a big deal, especially in traffic or around people/pets/property. We in the USA just don't REALLY seem to take driving seriously starting with the DOTs, to the car companies, to the drivers etc. We're running about 35th in the world per automobile or around 73rd per capita for deaths from autos. Just not impressive.

I'm sorry Eli Ricks has been arrested, but there's just no reason he should have been speeding in the first place.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
If I had weed in the car, I definitely wouldn’t be speeding.
Yeah - never speed while puffing.

Reminds me of a joke I used to play on my crew.

We'd be taking some tokes while driving down the beach to go surfing at the main surf break . I'd look in the rear view mirror and in my best alarmed-sounding voice say "Cops!"

So funny.......

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I asked an intern to run an errand the other day...made a joke about speeding.
He said, "Dont worry, my rule is you can only break one law at a time..."
Funny...then I was like hey!

• Haha
Reactions: Bama75&80 and Bazza

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Was watching Rally Cap/SEC Now this morning and they showed Drew Brees giving the LSU baseball team a pep talk. He made reference to his 3 young sons watching them play at the park and studying their every move.

What I liked about that comment was the emphasis that when you are in the limelight - you are expected to be a role model for our young people.

They are watching your every move.

In most cases it's not an issue because Mom and Dad raised you the right way. They educated you in the difference between right and wrong.

Doesn't guarantee you won't make a wrong step here and there, of course.

But decision making in life, especially for those in the limelight, should be based on what type of legacy you want to leave to those around you.

This is why leadership on a sports team is so important.

I'm not trying to pass judgement on anyone here - just sharing a thought.
Ab...so...lute...ly Bazza. Your fourth statement down is the key IMHO. If you don`t learn it at home, or at the latest from someone else ( your high school coach, a teacher maybe? ), you are often SOL by the time you reach early adulthood. Far too often the CNSs of the world can`t make up for sorry upbringing. Cases in point, the arrests and other transgressions of players after they leave the program. At least most don`t result in the horrendous and tragic example of Henry Ruggs, thank the Lord.

Reactions: Bazza

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
A couple things really strike me about this. Assuming Ricks was on I-59, because of the twists and turns through there, I believe the speed limit drops to the 50-55 mph range. He could have got stopped north or south of Laurel where the speed limit is the 65-70 range, but if you travel through there with any frequency, you know to get your foot out of the carburetor or speeding can be the least of your worries. I’ve seen some pretty bad accidents in that area over the years heading to and from New Orleans.

Additionally, it was reported this spring that Eli was struggling picking up some of the defensive schemes/packages. I know at least one comment was made about on the broadcast itself. Even some of the brightest among us make the “youthful indiscretion” . But flying through Laurel, without insurance (or proof of it) with a bag of weed in your car makes me wonder if the kid is using his head for something more than a hat rack. Youthful mistake? Yeah. But just plain dumb, IMO absolutely.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.