Five players to watch this spring

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is off-season, but here is something to look for.
Five second-year players Alabama fans should watch this spring
Here is the list.
Ty Simpson
Elijah Pritchett
Jam Miller
Jeremiah Alexander
Earl Little Jr.
Honorable mentions: Jihaad Campbell | Shawn Murphy

Of that list, the one guy who will touch the ball every down will be the QB, so I am most curious about Simpson. They (Simpson and Milroe) have a lot to master, and I expect stiff competition. Milroe strikes me as screaming fast and dangerous with the ball in his hands. I do expect Coach Saban to start the player who gives the team the best chance to win, however.

Another other second year players you will be looking out for come A-Day?

Last edited:

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
By position, there are a number of TE's, WR's, and DB's who did not see much playing time. I expect a couple of those to take a big step forward. Henderson at WR is intriguing. TE and safety are wide open.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Here is the list.
Ty Simpson
Elijah Pritchett
Jam Miller
Jeremiah Alexander
Earl Little Jr.

Of that list, the one guy who will touch the ball every down will be the QB, so I am most curious about Simpson. They (Simpson and Milroe) have a lot to master, and I expect stiff competition. Milroe strikes me as screaming fast and dangerous with the ball in his hands. I do expect Coach Saban to start the player who gives the team the best chance to win, however.

I'm curious to see where Alexander will end up. He doesn't really fit the mold we look for in OLBs now and all the other guys close to his physical makeup are playing DL (even Renaud at just 245 is a DL and JA is close to 260 and does not have the length), so I kinda think he could be asked to add a little more mass and slide over a spot, especially with Keeley and Pierre coming in.

There's a TON of 2nd year WRs, in addition to Earl, who all got some oppty last season so I'm also ready to see who will really step up and take charge of a starting role to get a little more consistency.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think Haynes and Young are physically ready.

The age old question is: How fast can they learn blocking assignments?
Indeed. It is probably not a popular topic with running backs (every running back wants to run the ball), but even Derrick Henry saw limited playing time early on until he mastered that skill.
If player X has great running skills, but poor blocking skills, opposing defenses will know that, when he is in the game, Bama will be less likely to be passing so they can load the box.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Have you really considered just how loaded our roster is? We are talking about some of these players being break out players when they would have started as true Fr. at so many other big time schools.

Last edited:

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
I think Haynes and Young are physically ready.

The age old question is: How fast can they learn blocking assignments?
I really liked what I saw from Young, goid burst , blended with power and balance. Will be interesting to see if one of them can give us an explosive and consistent running game again.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Here is the list.
Ty Simpson
Elijah Pritchett
Jam Miller
Jeremiah Alexander
Earl Little Jr.

If you scroll down below the first article on breakout players, Chase Goodbread has a nice column on Tommy Rees and his physical nature.

I’m guessing he‘ll coach from the sideline to better transfer his personality into the team’s mindset, particularly the OL and TEs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yes, I think the freshman running back tandem will make some serious noise. That doesn't mean Jam Miller won't still be ahead of them, but I believe those two will represent a turning point in team intensity/toughness!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yes, I think the freshman running back tandem will make some serious noise. That doesn't mean Jam Miller won't still be ahead of them, but I believe those two will represent a turning point in team intensity/toughness!
Gosh, I hope so. Early Saban said "I want our opponents to say, 'I hate playing those guys.' and 'Make their [backsides] quit!'"
I'd like to get back to that style of football.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.