Gene Chizik to coach Birmingham USFL team.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think attendance will mainly go with the weather, this is a Birmingham stadium and the average Birmingham resident isn't a big Nascar fan. Plus the Stallions brand name is still big in Birmingham. The stallions were beloved back in the 80's. I mean I still saw Stallions T-Shirts from time to time. that was almost 40 years ago. That league was a higher talent level than this, but that talent also sunk them financially.

I myself am not a Birmingham resident, but I'm a football guy, I don't watch baseball, basketball, golf, nascar, tennis, bowling, nothing, just football. I might watch MMA just because it's violent. and I guess I like to watch violence. thus my interest in football. But for the USFL I think the other spring leagues, though they did not survive did give a lot of sub NFL players playing experience and it shows in this league. It's still rough around the edges, but the games this weekend were pretty darn good considering they were put together from nothing in less than a month.

I think back to a guy like Jacob Coker, what could a spring league have meant to this guy, he was just coming into his own as a senior at Alabama, but he was never going to make it in the NFL. Perhaps he could have had a few more seasons under the lights, and the fans would have loved to see them.

Reactions: CullmanTide and Con

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
It is a made for TV league so good attendance, while desirable isn't necessary the first season. When franchises are sold and teams begin playing in their own markets, it will matter. Unlike others, FOX has done the math.

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
I enjoyed the inaugural weekend of the USFL a lot more than I thought I would. Quite a few entertaining games, and the Stallions won! I hope the league can survive.

Reactions: Con

TopBamaBloke

Scout Team
Jun 7, 2021
I’m enjoying this league. Apart from winless Pittsburgh, the teams are evenly matched and there have been plenty of close, exciting finishes. If Bo can be the Stallions’ workhorse at tailback, it will be even more fun to watch!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The league has done a better job than any other startup I can remember at spreading out the available talent so that the games are evenly matched. My beloved stallions are 4-0 but I believe they have trailed at the half in possibly all four games, 3 for sure. So for the TV audience it's good. The league is struggling with QB talent overall, with Birmingham again coming out on the up side with two serviceable QB's. The QB problem will solve itself if the league just survives, as these guys play they will get better. Some may go to the NFL but most will not. You don't get many times like this so if they put in 3 or 4 years at this level and have some fun before they have to go into some soul crushing 9 to 5 Hell like the rest of us, it will definitely be worth it.

I don't have access to Fox Sports so I don't know about the TV experience. I wish they would move the NBC game to Monday night cause life without Monday Night Football kind of sux. As for Bo. Birmingham has two scat backs but they tried for and failed on several short yardage plays against the Bandits and I think that is why Bo is being brought in.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The league has done a better job than any other startup I can remember at spreading out the available talent so that the games are evenly matched. My beloved stallions are 4-0 but I believe they have trailed at the half in possibly all four games, 3 for sure. So for the TV audience it's good. The league is struggling with QB talent overall, with Birmingham again coming out on the up side with two serviceable QB's. The QB problem will solve itself if the league just survives, as these guys play they will get better. Some may go to the NFL but most will not. You don't get many times like this so if they put in 3 or 4 years at this level and have some fun before they have to go into some soul crushing 9 to 5 Hell like the rest of us, it will definitely be worth it.

I don't have access to Fox Sports so I don't know about the TV experience. I wish they would move the NBC game to Monday night cause life without Monday Night Football kind of sux. As for Bo. Birmingham has two scat backs but they tried for and failed on several short yardage plays against the Bandits and I think that is why Bo is being brought in.
I have noticed the QB play as well. If that gets better, it will be fun to watch.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Skip Holtz has done an exceptional job so far. better than the career NFL guys that were brought in.
This has been a shock to me. I figured the ham was screwed when the coaches were announced, According to most analysis even at present the Birmingham roster is bottom half of the league, but he's got his guys playing their hearts out, especially in the 2nd half. He may be creating value for himself in the future if he keeps on winning.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
If he creates much more value for himself in the future, his cred enables him to bring in Granny as analyst and geriatric standup comedy intern on a $15 per diem plus a cot in the filmr--, er broom closet.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So the best team in the league is the one with an actual local fan base that will buy tickets.

Hmm….

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
This has been a shock to me. I figured the ham was screwed when the coaches were announced, According to most analysis even at present the Birmingham roster is bottom half of the league, but he's got his guys playing their hearts out, especially in the 2nd half. He may be creating value for himself in the future if he keeps on winning.
I thought the exact same thing.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Having their fans present has obviously helped inspire the team. I wouldn't insinuate any funny business going on.
I'm sure having the home fans is a help for sure. but I've watched other games as well and these guys are all pretty motivated, I think they are making around 75K for the season, but if they get noticed, get to a camp and make the show even as a backup the minimum salary in the NFL is 660K. These guys are all playing hard. I've actually seen some WR's that I think are better than current NFL backups, perhaps they just needed a chance to put work on film.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'm sure having the home fans is a help for sure. but I've watched other games as well and these guys are all pretty motivated, I think they are making around 75K for the season, but if they get noticed, get to a camp and make the show even as a backup the minimum salary in the NFL is 660K. These guys are all playing hard. I've actually seen some WR's that I think are better than current NFL backups, perhaps they just needed a chance to put work on film.
If they have a great season, they can enter the Transfer Portal to an NFL team... :cool:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
If they have a great season, they can enter the Transfer Portal to an NFL team... :cool:
With respect to the 'Ham's illustrious pro football legacy, namely the "Ooooh, Barracudas" -
If they have a great season, they can enter the Transfer Portal to a CFL team... :cool:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.