Georgia's current run vs Alabama's from 2011 and 2012

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
If only Bama had not slipped up and gave UGA another chance to lose to us instead of facing a puny LSU team. Right now, as far as 2022 goes, Bama made it easy for them. It's not hard to knock to the king off the mountain when the king forgets to show up.

2023 is when we reclaim the throne and make UGA's rule a short one. (I hope.)

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
There's too much crybaby loser talk going on about why GA isn't really all that good/their schedule is weak/let's see how they do next year without this player or that coach.

GA has won 2 straight national championships coming out of the most dominant conference in the country.

They're the premier program in the country right now, and no amount of caterwauling is going to change that.

It's pathetic and beneath us as a program and fan base. Just stop it.

There's only one way to change the narrative, and that's for someone to knock them off the throne.

I hope it's Bama, it could be someone else, or it could be no one for a while.

GA is that talented and that well coached.

I hate saying it, but it is what it is.

Just stop it...some people here sound more like Auburn fans than Bama fans.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Alabama fans:
"Everyone cries about our schedule, but we've played more Top 25 teams in the last eight million light years than anyone and we play in the toughest conference there is!"

Also Alabama fans:
"Georgia had an easy route in conference!!"

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I can't help but compare Georgia's current run with the run we had in the 2009, 2011, and 2012 years. Back in 2008, Florida was the big dog in the SEC and we were the new big dog in town. We went into that SEC championship game undefeated, but came up short. The next year we got redemption and then we dominated the next 2 out of 3 years. Georgia's run is eerily similar. We are the big dog in town and Georgia had come up short multiple times against us. They got redemption last year and then dominated this year.

We've got one more year of this 4 team dance before we enter a new era of college football. I would say let's avoid going the way of Florida did after the 2009 season. I think Saban has a new fire lit within him after last night hearing how Georgia is the new standard. It's going to be "We want Georgia" instead of "We want Bama". We've got plenty of motivational material to go into next season and I am really looking forward to how we bounce back next year. The starting QB is going to be a huge factor along with who's going to be calling the plays.

Georgia plays in the SEC east (aka ACC west). Their schedule is weak and in no way compares to the teams Bama had to face when the dynastic journey began. SEC east should be improving--but how many SEC east teams have beaten Bama in the last 10 years.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Georgia plays in the SEC east (aka ACC west). Their schedule is weak and in no way compares to the teams Bama had to face when the dynastic journey began. SEC east should be improving--but how many SEC east teams have beaten Bama in the last 10 years.
the sec east was better than the west this year.

maybe not in years past, but saying Georgias road was easier this year due to the east vs west strength would at least this time be false with Tennessee beating lsu and Alabama and Georgia beating LSU

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Georgia plays in the SEC east (aka ACC west). Their schedule is weak and in no way compares to the teams Bama had to face when the dynastic journey began.
I'm sorry, but this level of "let's find something to discredit UGA's accomplishment" is, well, it's right there with "de Bama fateeg" thing.

Tennessee finished 11-2 and second in the SEC East this year.

No, UGA didn't face anything like the 2009 Gators. That's true.

2009 - every other SEC team except Alabama and Florida had FOUR OR MORE LOSSES. Except for LSU, every SEC team in the West was .500 or below.

2011 - you had 3 SEC West teams at 11-2 or better - but as a reminder, Alabama didn't even win the division that year.

2012 - this was a powerhouse SEC with five 11-plus win teams...but Alabama lost at home to a Heisman contender QB, which would basically be like UGA losing to Tennessee this past year. They didn't.

2015 - no SEC team other than Alabama had fewer than 3 losses.

2017 - no SEC team had fewer than four losses EXCEPT Alabama and UGA; Alabama lost to 10-4 Auburn on the road, which would be about like Georgia losing to 9-4 MSU on the road. UGA won.

2020 - Alabama was unbeaten, aTm lost one, UGA lost two...and every other team in the conference lost at least four games.

2022 UGA pancaked a 10-3 Pac-12 team by 46 points...just like 2016 Alabama did.

2022 UGA beat 8-5 SCAR by 41. 2009 Alabama beat 7-6 SCAR by 14.
2022 UGA beat 5-7 Auburn by 32. 2011 Alabama beat 8-5 Auburn by 35.
2022 UGA beat 11-2 Tennessee by 14. 2015 Alabama beat 9-4 Tennessee by 5.

Georgia beat the schedule the SEC office gave them along with their in-state rival game, two cupcakes scheduled, and a 10-3 Pac-12 team they absolutely mauled.

Has Alabama played some tougher schedules than 2022 UGA did? Yes.

But so what?

Even if we use the argument "Alabama would have beaten Georgia" - something I would not bet my house on to be sure this year - it's not Georgia's fault Alabama didn't make the SECCG.

SEC east should be improving--but how many SEC east teams have beaten Bama in the last 10 years.
I'm not sure what this argument is even supposed to be saying. 2022 Georgia didn't play the 2013 Vols team, they played the much better 2022 Vols team. And 2022 Vandy was better than the previous three seasons.

It's not Georgia's fault Auburn ain't no good.
It's not their fault Miss State was, well, 9-4 is pretty good in Starkvegas and it was on the road.
They absolutely murdered an LSU team Alabama couldn't beat.

And in the end, UGA beat the most talented team in the Big 10 and scored the biggest blowout in bowl game history against the #3 team in the country.

Much of the complaining here almost seems to be the same kind of complaining Alabama fans hear when Alabama is winning - and it's just as wrong.

Reactions: DawgAlum2054

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
To add one other thought (not that it gives me the warm fuzzies) but how many other times in the last several years did UGA have us on the ropes and we managed to comeback and win?

I know of 2 times that I thought we were done for against them only for us to come back and win:

Can't remember year but when they blocked a punt and ran it back for a TD to take a double digit lead (when CMR was still the coach).

The 2nd and 26 game.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
To add one other thought (not that it gives me the warm fuzzies) but how many other times in the last several years did UGA have us on the ropes and we managed to comeback and win?

I know of 2 times that I thought we were done for against them only for us to come back and win:

Can't remember year but when they blocked a punt and ran it back for a TD to take a double digit lead (when CMR was still the coach).

The 2nd and 26 game.
here is something crazy for you

Since Kirby and Saban have played each other, the team winning at half time lost each game expect one

national championship 2017 season: GA 13 to alabama 0

SEC championship 2018: GA 21 to alabama 14

2020 season: GA 24 to Alabama 20

SEC championship 2021: GA 17 to Alabama 24

national championship 2021 season: GA 6 to Alabama 9

I believe this also proves or shows that Saban is a superior coach to Kirby and is able to adjust a game plan. However, Kirby has far less experience, at least in 2017 and 2018

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I'm sorry, but this level of "let's find something to discredit UGA's accomplishment" is, well, it's right there with "de Bama fateeg" thing.

Tennessee finished 11-2 and second in the SEC East this year.

No, UGA didn't face anything like the 2009 Gators. That's true.

2009 - every other SEC team except Alabama and Florida had FOUR OR MORE LOSSES. Except for LSU, every SEC team in the West was .500 or below.

2011 - you had 3 SEC West teams at 11-2 or better - but as a reminder, Alabama didn't even win the division that year.

2012 - this was a powerhouse SEC with five 11-plus win teams...but Alabama lost at home to a Heisman contender QB, which would basically be like UGA losing to Tennessee this past year. They didn't.

2015 - no SEC team other than Alabama had fewer than 3 losses.

2017 - no SEC team had fewer than four losses EXCEPT Alabama and UGA; Alabama lost to 10-4 Auburn on the road, which would be about like Georgia losing to 9-4 MSU on the road. UGA won.

2020 - Alabama was unbeaten, aTm lost one, UGA lost two...and every other team in the conference lost at least four games.

2022 UGA pancaked a 10-3 Pac-12 team by 46 points...just like 2016 Alabama did.

2022 UGA beat 8-5 SCAR by 41. 2009 Alabama beat 7-6 SCAR by 14.
2022 UGA beat 5-7 Auburn by 32. 2011 Alabama beat 8-5 Auburn by 35.
2022 UGA beat 11-2 Tennessee by 14. 2015 Alabama beat 9-4 Tennessee by 5.

Georgia beat the schedule the SEC office gave them along with their in-state rival game, two cupcakes scheduled, and a 10-3 Pac-12 team they absolutely mauled.

Has Alabama played some tougher schedules than 2022 UGA did? Yes.

But so what?

Even if we use the argument "Alabama would have beaten Georgia" - something I would not bet my house on to be sure this year - it's not Georgia's fault Alabama didn't make the SECCG.

I'm not sure what this argument is even supposed to be saying. 2022 Georgia didn't play the 2013 Vols team, they played the much better 2022 Vols team. And 2022 Vandy was better than the previous three seasons.

It's not Georgia's fault Auburn ain't no good.
It's not their fault Miss State was, well, 9-4 is pretty good in Starkvegas and it was on the road.
They absolutely murdered an LSU team Alabama couldn't beat.

And in the end, UGA beat the most talented team in the Big 10 and scored the biggest blowout in bowl game history against the #3 team in the country.

Much of the complaining here almost seems to be the same kind of complaining Alabama fans hear when Alabama is winning - and it's just as wrong.
Can’t argue with this. Personally I am just gonna focus on what Alabama is doing to try to get back to the Bama standard. To me downplaying Georgias accomplishments is lame. The question is whether Georgia can maintain it. Clemson had a powderpuff schedule for years and still look like they are losing their edge.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Can’t argue with this. Personally I am just gonna focus on what Alabama is doing to try to get back to the Bama standard. To me downplaying Georgias accomplishments is lame. The question is whether Georgia can maintain it. Clemson had a powderpuff schedule for years and still look like they are losing their edge.
My thing has always been this: if you WANT respect you have to SHOW respect.

Tide fans have spent much of the last 15 years doing two things:
a) gloating/buying national championship memorabilia
b) whining about who dissed our schedule or accomplishment

This one is gonna earn me some enemies.

How many of you ever looked - I mean REALLY looked - at Alabama's 2011 schedule? You know, the year where we fielded what many consider to be the greatest defense since castles had walls? I mean, you ever really LOOK closely at that schedule?

Drop LSU, who had one helluva team that year that they'll just plain forget.
And who did we play?

5-7 Kent State (who lost to us by 41 but also to K-State by 37 and N Illinois by 30; 4-8 Miami of Ohio gave up fewer points than Alabama's all-time D did that year, so how good were they?)

5-7 UNT (who lost to us by 41 but also to Hugh Freeze's Arky State by 23)

6-7 Vandy (good by their standards but....really.....)

7-6 Florida (who didn't beat a single team with a winning record)

2-10 Ole Miss (we beat them by 45 but Vandy beat them by 23 and MSU by 28...whoop de do)

5-7 Tennessee (who lost to Arkansas by 49 and got held to one score FOUR TOTAL TIMES...again, how good is OUR defense really when everyone can keep them from scoring?)

7-6 Miss State (a pretty good team by THEIR standards...but four of those wins were the OOC cupcakes and their other three wins were all against teams with losing records)

FCS Georgia Southern (11-3, but they don't even count being from the lower echelon...they lost to an App State team that Va Tech smashed, 66-13)

8-5 Auburn - I mean, really just a normal Auburn team. 3 of their 8 wins were the cupcakes, including one they needed a miracle at home to beat (Utah St); their sole bright moment was beating SCAR

In all honesty, nobody here is any great shakes. Auburn is the best team here (they beat UF and MSU), and even they aren't all that good. Average.

9-4 Penn State - now let's be fair; Penn State was MUCH BETTER when Alabama beat them on the road than their record shows as they collapsed when the Sandusky affair was revealed and Head Football Coach was fired. This AT THE TIME was a good win, and it was unfair to watch how media types said that wasn't a good win because PSU imploded later.

And that leaves two more opponents for the year:
1) Arkansas - who wound up losing to both us and LSU by 24 points then thumped K-State
2) LSU - whom we didn’t beat

So ask yourself....WHAT GOOD TEAMS PRIOR TO SELECTION DID ALABAMA BEAT IN 2011?
1) Penn State
2) Arkansas

Folks, that was a good Alabama team, but it was a three-game season - and we lost one of the three...at home. The other teams had a combined record (excluding the FCS team) of 45-55 - not even .500. Look, I understand we can't play the 2007 Patriots every week, but there are fans on this board who go bonkers over other teams's schedules.

2018 CLEMSON
Prior to the playoff, Clemson beat:
1) 9-4 aTm (on the road no less)
2) 10-3 Syracuse (with a 3rd string QB)
3) 9-4 NC State by 33 points
4) An FCS team by 41 points (that doesn't even register)
5) Teams (excluding the above) with an overall record of 43-46

So I'm not sure where this whole "Clemson has a one-game season" argument comes from other than denial. They beat a 9-win team on the road - just like 2011 Alabama did. Okay, so Syracuse was 10-win versus Arkansas' 11, but when you figure:
a) their QB was knocked out of the game in the first half WITH CLEMSON TRAILING
b) the rest of the opponents' record was comparable
c) Clemson went 3-0 in their big games, Alabama 2-1

I don't see how anyone consistent can slam Clemson's SCHEDULE and not say the same about 2011 Alabama. And for the clueless fan who is about to say, "Yeah, but they didn't have to play 2011 LSU" - so what? Alabama lost that game, anyone can LOSE a game.

2021 JAWJA - "oh they didn't play nobody!"
1) 9-4 Arkansas
2) 10-3 Kentucky
3) 10-3 Clemson
4) An FCS team by 49 points
5) The rest of their schedule opponents had a record of 41-54.

On top of which they DID face THEIR version of 2011 LSU, the Bryce Young Alabama team that (wait for it) beat them. So they played FOUR ranked opponents (THREE in the top 11 on game day) and beat three of them, two by blowout.

Again - I'm sorry, but I don't see how anyone can say, "2011 is a Legit Champ who had a monster schedule but UGA and Clemson didn't play nobody!"

Come on - we're better than that.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.