News Article: Good luck dealing with a pandemic, depending on this administration...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
While there are about three dozen confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United States, almost two-thirds are citizens who were flown home after contracting the virus abroad, including 18 who were evacuated from a cruise ship last week.
Who shut the barn door after the cow got out? :unsure:

White House to ask Congress for emergency coronavirus funding

However, the amount could be significantly lower than some public health officials have argued is necessary.

The White House will soon ask Congress for emergency funds to fight the coronavirus outbreak, after weeks of hesitation by the administration to press for additional funding, said four individuals with knowledge of the pending request.

However, the amount could be significantly lower than some public health officials have argued is necessary — potentially as little as $1 billion, said two individuals, which could be rapidly exhausted by development of potential vaccines, widespread lab tests and numerous other investments.

A White House official told POLITICO that the pending request is still preliminary and the sum could change. A congressional aide said that lawmakers have been told to expect the request in the coming days.

The outbreak, which began about three months ago and has spread to 28 countries, has sickened more than 75,000 people in China and killed more than 2,200 there.

Fear mongering article and speculation if you ask me.

I understand it's the job of certain media members to create controversy but c'mon......this virus is not the fault of the president and there's absolutely no evidence he has failed in his role to help with it's management.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Who shut the barn door after the cow got out? :unsure:

Fear mongering article and speculation if you ask me.

I understand it's the job of certain media members to create controversy but c'mon......this virus is not the fault of the president and there's absolutely no evidence he has failed in his role to help with it's management.
You are mistaken. He has gutted the infrastructure that was in place to deal with these events. That is directly on him.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Did you read the article before declaring it media fear mongering?

Even if Congress provides additional funding, there remain fears that the Trump administration has already hamstrung it’s ability to address this emergency. As Foreign Policy’s Laurie Garrett wrote last month, the administration has “intentionally rendered itself incapable” of dealing with a problem of this scale. It wiped out its “entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure,” Garrett wrote, and shut down the National Security Council’s global health security team, as well as its counterpart in the Department of Homeland Security. In addition to proposing funding cuts for national and global health programs, the administration has also kneecapped its public health teams by declining to replace officials who have left. While the president established a Coronavirus Task Force led by Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar last month, “it’s not clear how it will function,” Garrett noted—essentially forcing the administration to “[resort] to improvisation” in its approach to the crisis.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Did you read the article before declaring it media fear mongering?
Yes and it's speculation as evidenced by this part:

there remain fears
And this:

it’s not clear how it will function
Guesswork and speculation and yes fear mongering for those who buy into this sorta thing.

-----------------------------------

You did see that the amount of money requested from congress by Trump ($2.5 Billion) ultimately exceeded what these "two individuals" speculated he'd ask for in the article Earle's article was based on.:

However, the amount could be significantly lower than some public health officials have argued is necessary — potentially as little as $1 billion, said two individuals, which could be rapidly exhausted by development of potential vaccines, widespread lab tests and numerous other investments.
:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

And this:

Guesswork and speculation and yes fear mongering for those who buy into this sorta thing.

You did see that the amount of money requested from congress by Trump ($2.5 Billion) ultimately exceeded what these "two individuals" speculated he'd ask for in the article Earle's article was based on.:

Money doesn't help without the now-missing personnel to carry out the measures. That's the point of the article. You seem to be scoffing without anything substantive to say about the hollowing out which has happened in this and many other areas under this incompetent White House...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Money doesn't help without the now-missing personnel to carry out the measures. That's the point of the article. You seem to be scoffing without anything substantive to say about the hollowing out which has happened in this and many other areas under this incompetent White House...
all we have to do is treat public health like a business.

Reactions: UAH

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

And this:

Now you're just being obtuse. If we could throw money at it and stop it why have any staff? Hell, fire them all and stack money at the border. That ought to do it.

The president removed our ability to respond to these events when he removed the people and structures that were in place to do the job. What is so difficult to understand? Despite what you seem to believe Trump is not perfect. Not even close to acceptable, but whatever. Continue in willful ignorance.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
These two proposals would make $1.8 billion in new resources available for the current response.

While Trump is asking for money now he could be having the CDC ramp up and into action. Actually, they would have already accomplished a lot more by now if they were already on the ground and running as they should have been.

And it's 1.8 billion they are asking for, not 2.5. Such an inflated number. It's like fake news or something.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
To be honest - I don't know yet if the "hollowing out" is going to hurt us wrt this virus. I don't think anyone does at this point.

The article was being speculative in the negative sense.

Then you have the titles of each article:

*Vanity Fair:

Trump Has Already Hamstrung The U.S.’s Coronavirus Response

**Politico:

*The one you linked is an editorial - and as such I offered a counterpoint.

**The one I linked was more in line with reporting the news.

I understand there are those in the media whose job it is to fan the flames.

Perhaps fearmongering is too strong of a term to use - but when you're dealing with a deadly virus like this - perhaps not.

=====================

We'll have to see what happens.......

Reactions: prattalumni

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
-snip-

And it's 1.8 billion they are asking for, not 2.5. Such an inflated number. It's like fake news or something.
The 1.8 billion is still more than what was quoted in the Vanity Fair article.

The 2.5 figure is what is being mentioned in almost every news outlet I have heard since yesterday so I don't know what to tell you.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Now you're just being obtuse. If we could throw money at it and stop it why have any staff? Hell, fire them all and stack money at the border. That ought to do it.

The president removed our ability to respond to these events when he removed the people and structures that were in place to do the job. What is so difficult to understand? Despite what you seem to believe Trump is not perfect. Not even close to acceptable, but whatever. Continue in willful ignorance.
You may think I'm being obtuse but I was merely pointing out the speculative nature of that article you quoted.

And I never said we could "throw money at it and stop it". I only mentioned the money because that's what the article stated was a fear and it was ultimately not realized. The president asked for more money than 'they' speculated he would.

And lastly - I never said the president was perfect. No president has ever been perfect.

We'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.