2 teaspoons of kosher salt

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon dried sage

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon "Better Than Boullion Chicken Base"

1 lb dried red, kidney, or Pinto Beans (I used light red kidney beans)

2 lbs Andouille Sausage or Smoked Sausage

1 SMOKED ham hock

2 Bay leafs

7-8 cups of water/ and Low Sodium Chicken Broth (in the box, not the can)

2-3 cups of minute rice

* Chop (or puree in food processor if your kids have texture issues) onion, celery, and bell pepper.

* Heat olive oil in a pot until hot. Add onion, celery and bell pepper and sauté onions until they are translucent

*Add garlic, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, thyme, parsley, Cajun Seasoning, sugar and chicken base to the saucepan and sauté for approximately 3-5 minutes.

*Add half part water and Low Sodium Chicken Broth to equal 7-8 cups, dried beans, smoked ham hock and the two bay leafs.

*Bring to a boil then turn the heat down to where it is just a low simmer, so it is just barely bubbling.

*Cover, and cook on a "low simmer" for 2 1/2 to 3 hours uncovering the pot for the last hour until beans are soft and beginning to "split" open.

*Remove the ham hock and bay leaf, remove any meat from the bone, chop and add to the pot.

*Add the rice and continue to cook until the texture of the dish has a "creamy" texture. If you need to add more chicken broth for moistness then do so. Add a little more salt and Cajun Season for taste, then serve.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Sausage biscuit with a little mustard on it is my favorite breakfast.I’ve learned from many southern cooks in my life it’s taboo to ask for a biscuit recipe.

Also can biscuits = fake biscuits. Only good for catfishing.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Get rid of the breakfast sausage and subbing in some Conecuh would make it perfect.
I love me some Conecuh sausage, but I'll have to tell you and I know in some places in Alabama this is pure blasphemy, but there are some sausages made in south Louisiana that will make you stop eating Conecuh sausage.

*ducking as bottles are being thrown at me*

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
About a year or so ago I learned how to make buttermilk biscuits from scratch and I'm glad I did! My kids won't touch one from a can anymore.

View attachment 30449
It took my probably 15 years to figure out how to make biscuits.. I would get them pretty good, but not great. Not to mention my grandfather always made the best biscuits, so I was always comparing mine to his. Eventually, I discovered that the flour matters a lot, and there was no good flour to be found anywhere in NY. Now I order Shawnee flour out of Oklahoma (that’s the brand my grandfather used) now, I would put my biscuits against anybody’s.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It took my probably 15 years to figure out how to make biscuits.. I would get them pretty good, but not great. Not to mention my grandfather always made the best biscuits, so I was always comparing mine to his. Eventually, I discovered that the flour matters a lot, and there was no good flour to be found anywhere in NY. Now I order Shawnee flour out of Oklahoma (that’s the brand my grandfather used) now, I would put my biscuits against anybody’s.
Another "key" to making good homemade biscuits is to not over knead the dough and DON'T FORGET THE "sawmill" gravy!!!

1675890492345.png

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Or some fried pork tenderloin

View attachment 32083
What do you use to form/cut your dough into biscuits? When I first started making homemade biscuits I used a soup can that I had cleaned and taken the label off. Then one morning I got up to make biscuits and couldn't find it (one of the kids had thrown it in the trash) so in a panic, the closest thing I could find to the same size was one of my whiskey glasses. It made a slightly different, better, shape that we all liked more. So now I call them "Whiskey" biscuits. :LOL:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.