How are y’all getting Atlanta Braves after Xfinity cut Bally Sports?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Xfinity must think we are stupid. If Direct TV and Fubo are able to have an agreement with RSN (Bally Sports) then why can’t they do it? Thing that irks me to no end is dropping the channel after the season has started. Xfinity will not survive this fiasco.
No one has any love for Comcast but this is all on Bally, or their owner Diamond Sport Group LLC. It's happened to every streaming service except Fubo and DirecTV Stream. Even Dish Network dropped them years ago, like YouTube TV. Bally is asking for a ridiculously high fee for these channels because they way over paid for them when Fox Sports was broken up because of the Fox sale to Disney. They thought they would be able to strong arm all the content providers into accepting their high demands but most have fought back.

I know it sucks for Comcast users but I hope they stick to their guns. I want Diamond Sports Group to not be able to come out of bankruptcy and fold so that MLB has more option to launch a nationwide streaming service next year. This is what Copilot answered when I asked "what would MLB get if Diamond Sports group folds?":

If **Diamond Sports Group** were to fold, it could have significant implications for Major League Baseball (MLB). Here's what we know:

1. **Diamond Sports Group Bankruptcy**:
- On March 14, 2023, **Diamond Sports Group**, the largest owner of regional sports networks, filed for **Chapter 11 bankruptcy**. This move was prompted by a debt load of over $8 billion³.
- The bankruptcy case is still ongoing, and the fate of Diamond Sports Group remains uncertain.

2. **MLB Streaming Plans**:
- MLB Commissioner **Rob Manfred** had expressed hopes of launching a national, in-market streaming package in 2025, covering about half of the league's teams.
- However, if Diamond Sports Group and its Bally-branded regional sports networks successfully emerge from bankruptcy, it would be challenging for MLB to launch even a half-national package next season.
- Manfred had previously stated that he would need at least 14 clubs' rights to make the streaming package viable, but if Diamond remains operational, he might have access to only nine teams' rights¹.

3. **Potential Impact on MLB**:
- If Diamond Sports Group folds, MLB could potentially regain control over broadcasting rights for more teams.
- However, the bankruptcy proceedings and court decisions will determine whether MLB gains additional teams' rights or if Diamond continues to operate.

In summary, if Diamond Sports Group were to fold, MLB might have an opportunity to reconfigure its streaming plans and potentially expand its coverage. However, the outcome depends on the bankruptcy proceedings and court decisions²⁴.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 5/6/2024
(1) Diamond Sports, regional sports network owner, files for bankruptcy. https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/14/diamond-sports-files-for-bankruptcy.html.
(2) MLB's streaming plans await ruling on Diamond, Bally Sports bankruptcy case. https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/05/03/mlb-streaming-diamond-sports-group-case.
(3) Diamond Sports Group - Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Sports_Group.
(4) Diamond Sports Group ordered to fully pay MLB teams' contracts. https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/diamond-sports-group-ordered-fully-pay-mlb-teams/story?id=99777138.

Reactions: dtgreg

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
No one has any love for Comcast but this is all on Bally, or their owner Diamond Sport Group LLC. It's happened to every streaming service except Fubo and DirecTV Stream. Even Dish Network dropped them years ago, like YouTube TV. Bally is asking for a ridiculously high fee for these channels because they way over paid for them when Fox Sports was broken up because of the Fox sale to Disney. They thought they would be able to strong arm all the content providers into accepting their high demands but most have fought back.

I know it sucks for Comcast users but I hope they stick to their guns. I want Diamond Sports Group to not be able to come out of bankruptcy and fold so that MLB has more option to launch a nationwide streaming service next year. This is what Copilot answered when I asked "what would MLB get if Diamond Sports group folds?":
yeah, it would mean no more blackouts and I am here for it.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
those of you that cannot see the Braves are the lucky ones
Yeah my 54 year love affair with the Braves (and MLB) is done. Even when they are the national broadcast and I can watch on my normal streaming service (YouTube TV) I don’t watch.

I listened to every game on the radio as a kid. The rare times the Braves were on the tube was “destination tv”. When TBS broadcast ever game, I was glued. For the past 35 years, I made the drive to Atlanta and took the family to at least 5-6 games per year. No longer.

I’m not going out of my way (or spending extra dollars on a baseball package) to watch. I’ll check the scores the following day, look at the boxes and go about my day

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Yeah my 54 year love affair with the Braves (and MLB) is done. Even when they are the national broadcast and I can watch on my normal streaming service (YouTube TV) I don’t watch.

I listened to every game on the radio as a kid. The rare times the Braves were on the tube was “destination tv”. When TBS broadcast ever game, I was glued. For the past 35 years, I made the drive to Atlanta and took the family to at least 5-6 games per year. No longer.

I’m not going out of my way (or spending extra dollars on a baseball package) to watch. I’ll check the scores the following day, look at the boxes and go about my day
This is me...started following them hard when I moved back to Mobile in 1968....greatly diminished these last few years. Aging does have its benefits.

Reactions: CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This is me...started following them hard when I moved back to Mobile in 1968....greatly diminished these last few years. Aging does have its benefits.
Certainly our aging is a factor. But for you and I, baseball was a love driven by our previous generations. It was a bonding experience between my father, my uncles and I. It was almost like an “apprenticeship”- I learned the thinking part of the game, the nuisance, the strategy, etc.. The stars of the game were bigger than life not because of flash or flair but because of the skill of execution. It reminds me often of this scene from “Field of Dreams”. Everything changes but the “constant” through the generations was baseball.

We continue to kill the connection to the game with each passing generation. Baseball is no longer the “constant”.

Yeah, the Pollyanna syndrome concerning baseball has left me.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
As an aside and not wanting to stray too far from the original topic- many of you may know MLB is coming to Rickwood Field In Birmingham in July. The idea is to honor The Negro League and Birmingham’s Willie Mays with a game between the Cardinals and Giants.

I entered the randomized drawing for the opportunity to purchase tickets. Yesterday I received my “you’re a loser” email. NOT that I held out any hope being one of the lucky ones. I’m sure there were plenty of individuals and ticket brokers working the system so my chances were basically nonexistent.

For me, this game was something I wanted to share with my son and daughter. I sat through many a game at Rickwood with my father. I saw the Birmingham A’s and all the guys that eventually built the Oakland World Series teams of the early 1970’s. I watched numerous high school all star games there. I attended Braves/Orioles exhibition games there in the 1970’s prior to the start of the season (as they were breaking camp from Spring Training). And as a father, I watched my son pitch a complete game win from that mound as a high schooler.

Above all, it would be a connection to my late uncle. He pitched in the Birmingham Industrial Leagues in the late 1930’s through 1940’s. There was a young kid that hung around the park with them. That young kid was Willie Mays. It would have been special for my kids to see Willie honored.

Certainly , I can afford to pay “the king’s ransom“ for a ticket package. But isn’t that part of the problem? Those with the grass roots “love” of the game being “priced out” of the game by ticket packages and pay per view streaming? I get it. Supply and demand. Whatever the market mandates.

I just think it is shame that many fans in Birmingham won’t get a chance to attend a game honoring a hometown hero like Willie and give recognition to those of the Birmingham Black Barons and the Negro Leagues for their contributions to the game of baseball.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The bond is right on target. My father grew up in St. Louis and used to go to Cardinals games as a member of the "Knothole Gang." He later taught me the game...as I taught my sons. My younger brother (by 9 years) came along and I taught him. In 1970? I took him to Hartwell Field (?) to watch USA play the Cardinals. Bob Gibson played 3rd base...I stationed him outside the left field wall and he came back in 20 minutes with a home run by Richie Ashburn. His son was a D1 pitcher. My brother is the only one I talk baseball with...no one else seems to follow.

"Sic transit gloria mundi..."

• Thank You
Reactions: dtgreg and CB4

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I stopped watching Braves for the most part except for the post season when they went to Bally and I needed a separate subscription to watch as a YoutubeTV subscriber.

Reactions: CB4 and B1GTide

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It's not just the Braves, it's MLB baseball in general that is hard to find on tv. I've got YouTube TV and had MLB Network then they got into a dispute and pulled it. ESPN rarely broadcasts MLB games like they used to.
Yeah and I mean that's just crazy.

I vividly remember catching random special moments on ESPN when I was a kid like when Nolan Ryan threw his 6th No-Hitter vs the A's in 1990 or when Griffey Sr and Jr hit Back-to-Back Homers that same year.

Those weren't live cut ins either but like Full Games where you just caught something special happening in MLB.

ESPN is nothing like it use to be.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
ESPN is nothing like it use to be.
ESPN used to be totally focused on live sports, but they had no real competition. They have lost a lot of that live content to competitors. Those contracts are now insane, which spreads out the content like never before. Makes it hard for a sports fan. You have to sign up for too many services, each with its own separate costs.

So, this part really isn't about ESPN, though I am hesitant to support them in any way.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Since I’m the OP of this thread I thought I’d let you know what I wound up doing to get Braves baseball (after Xfinity dropped Bally Sports). I called Xfinity and canceled my TV package but kept Xfinity for my internet provider. I decided to go with FUBO so I could get Bally Sports (Braves baseball). In the end my cost was about the same overall. I do like that FUBO is pay-as-you-go and not under contract.

Latest threads