2016 Election - Trump: How Did Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I never bought into the narrative that Trump is a raciest. Most racists probably supported him (and he did little to dissuade them) but that doesn't make him or most of his supporters racist. Just like he isn't anti Hispanic. He's just opposed to them or any others coming here illegally.
the whole birther crap was pretty blatantly racist, and he has plenty of instances going back decades which shows that he does racist things. now does that make him a racist? i don't know

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Theory of General Relativity is just a theory but it is one of the informing thought technologies that led to the very real nuclear bomb...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Coal is dying

"clean coal" is mostly a joke, though the energy potential there is strong enough where I do believe the private sector should keep working on it, it doesn't need government welfare to keep it up.

at one point Buggy Whip manufacturing was a huge industry, it no longer is. I'm sure that in elections in the 20's and 30's what do with the buggy whip manufacturing employees concerned a lot of people. Am I concerned for the miners? Of course, they are people and losing their jobs is sad but it is what it is. Are Republicans really suggesting that we prop up this failing industry with welfare? When does it end?

the coal miners will be out of work in the next 10-20 years no matter what the Government does, to think anything else is whistling past the graveyard. The cost to produce energy through cleaner and newer technologies has been hockey sticking down and even without the current subsidies will continue to do so. In a few years the cost per KWH for Solar will make render this entire discussion moot, She should have come right out and said it. This country needs a bit of pragmatic reality and the people of West Virginia (where my Dad's side of the family left in the 1920's to get out of the mines) need to wake up and realize they are clinging to a dead technology
The people in Appalachia don't leave coal country because they don't have enough education or money to leave. Besides, it's their home and that's where they want to live. If the coal industry dies, they aren't leaving. Most coal miners in the area of Kentucky I went to last month are already out of work.

Coal has been a much larger industry than buggy whips have ever been. A great read that you would enjoy is Night Comes to the Cumberlands by Harry Caudill. It was written in the 60's but since it's a historical book, it's still relevant.

Yeah, I agree coal is dying, but 10-20 years is a guess.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The Theory of General Relativity is just a theory but it is one of the informing thought technologies that led to the very real nuclear bomb...
The anti-intellectualism coming from the Trump camp is one of the most concerning reservations I have about the next four years.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The people in Appalachia don't leave coal country because they don't have enough education or money to leave. Besides, it's their home and that's where they want to live. If the coal industry dies, they aren't leaving. Most coal miners in the area of Kentucky I went to last month are already out of work.

Coal has been a much larger industry than buggy whips have ever been. A great read that you would enjoy is Night Comes to the Cumberlands by Harry Caudill. It was written in the 60's but since it's a historical book, it's still relevant.

Yeah, I agree coal is dying, but 10-20 years is a guess.
and?

you know that the ice trade used to be a huge industry too but when we invented refrigeration those people lost their jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_trade

At its peak at the end of the 19th century, the U.S. ice trade employed an estimated 90,000 people in an industry capitalized at $28 million ($660 million in 2010 terms),[a] using ice houses capable of storing up to 250,000 tons (220 million kg) each; Norway exported a million tons (910 million kg) of ice a year, drawing on a network of artificial lakes. Competition had slowly been growing, however, in the form of artificially produced plant ice and mechanically chilled facilities. Unreliable and expensive at first, plant ice began to successfully compete with natural ice in Australia and India during the 1850s and 1870s respectively, until, by the outbreak of World War I in 1914, more plant ice was being produced in the U.S. each year than naturally harvested ice. Despite a temporary increase in production in the U.S. during the war, the inter-war years saw the total collapse of the ice trade around the world. Today, ice is occasionally harvested for ice carving and ice festivals, but little remains of the 19th-century industrial network of ice houses and transport facilities.
I'm sure the Ice Cutters wanted to remain in the finger lakes area of New York State too, but that doesn't mean I should have to pay for them to do it (and I'm the one accused of being a Statist, LOL)

Personally I think 10-20 years is way overly pessimistic and that we will see advances in clean energy in the next 5 years that will make this entire discussion laughable

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The anti-intellectualism coming from the Trump camp is one of the most concerning reservations I have about the next four years.
Lot's of "smart" unemployed out there -- living with their parents.....

Sometimes -- your side "over" thinks -- and "under" works.....

Perhaps -- once we get back to work -- and the economy returns......we can find time to be intellectually superior, once again.....because so far, the last 8 years of intellectual superiority -- didn't get us anywhere....

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
the whole birther crap was pretty blatantly racist, and he has plenty of instances going back decades which shows that he does racist things. now does that make him a racist? i don't know
I never looked at that as being based mainly in racism. It was mostly attention grabbing and a little xenophobic. Does he have prejudices and biases? Sure. Everyone does to some extent. I just feel the term racist is too strong.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
and?

you know that the ice trade used to be a huge industry too but when we invented refrigeration those people lost their jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_trade

I'm sure the Ice Cutters wanted to remain in the finger lakes area of New York State too, but that doesn't mean I should have to pay for them to do it (and I'm the one accused of being a Statist, LOL)

Personally I think 10-20 years is way overly pessimistic and that we will see advances in clean energy in the next 5 years that will make this entire discussion laughable
Well, since our entire energy grid is based on petroleum and coal -- to provide electricity -- to run your electric car......the "ice" and "buggy whip" analogy is a bit weak.....

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
That's been coming from the GOP for decades it was one of the things that first really put me off. I remember listening to Rush Limbaugh talking about Ivory Tower eggheads as I was sitting in my car in the parking lot of Ten Hoor about to walk into a 400 level Political Science class and thinking "Wait, what?"

It's hardly a Trump thing though he has embraced it harder than most

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Coal is dying

"clean coal" is mostly a joke, though the energy potential there is strong enough where I do believe the private sector should keep working on it, it doesn't need government welfare to keep it up.

at one point Buggy Whip manufacturing was a huge industry, it no longer is. I'm sure that in elections in the 20's and 30's what do with the buggy whip manufacturing employees concerned a lot of people. Am I concerned for the miners? Of course, they are people and losing their jobs is sad but it is what it is. Are Republicans really suggesting that we prop up this failing industry with welfare? When does it end?

the coal miners will be out of work in the next 10-20 years no matter what the Government does, to think anything else is whistling past the graveyard. The cost to produce energy through cleaner and newer technologies has been hockey sticking down and even without the current subsidies will continue to do so. In a few years the cost per KWH for Solar will make render this entire discussion moot, She should have come right out and said it. This country needs a bit of pragmatic reality and the people of West Virginia (where my Dad's side of the family left in the 1920's to get out of the mines) need to wake up and realize they are clinging to a dead technology
Okay. My point was commenting on (rgw's point that) the Democrats not speaking to the issue. It was a comment on Hillary's lousy campaign, not the issue of coal per se. The point is she did come out and say it. She said they'd be out if business. Problem was how she said it and the enduring effect that had on the election.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Okay. My point was commenting on (rgw's point that) the Democrats not speaking to the issue. It was a comment on Hillary's lousy campaign, not the issue of coal per se. The point is she did come out and say it. She said they'd be out if business. Problem was how she said it and the enduring effect that had on the election.
I agree with you completely there, she screwed this up as did her party. And RGW is nailing the reasons

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Resorting to calling everyone who supported Trump a racist is the easy way out. It is usually a conversation killer. It sure doesn't make an argument for your side. It also indicates that you are unwilling to listen to the opposing argument. I said before that charges of racism was fuel to Trump's fire and I still believe that. The more you say it the stronger he gets. Stop the lazy name calling and make a persuasive argument.
I doubt Trump is a racist...at least no more so than Obama himself.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
That's been coming from the GOP for decades it was one of the things that first really put me off. I remember listening to Rush Limbaugh talking about Ivory Tower eggheads as I was sitting in my car in the parking lot of Ten Hoor about to walk into a 400 level Political Science class and thinking "Wait, what?"

It's hardly a Trump thing though he has embraced it harder than most
That is true. But as you said, Trump has embraced in on a wholly different level. He embraces anti-vaccine anecdotes. His denial of climate change and plans gut alternative energy research will set us back tremendously, and he looks to be appointing a prominent climate change denier to head of the EPA.

His VP might be even worse, though. In addition to mirroring the above stances, Pence has disagreed that smoking causes cancer as recently as 2000. And he thinks the "controversy" around evolution should be taught in schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.