I am finally thinking of buying a house

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Never, ever buy a home with flooding problems. Ever.
Ok I may have been exaggerating the "flooding". The driveway slopes down and there was some puddling at the front of the garage (inside).

and the leaky roof was happening at some roof penetrations. This is an easy fix. They just need to be sealed. I think when they put the shingles on they just did not seal the penetrations. That actually happens more than you would think.

Reactions: B1GTide

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Ok I may have been exaggerating the "flooding". The driveway slopes down and there was some puddling at the front of the garage (inside).

and the leaky roof was happening at some roof penetrations. This is an easy fix. They just need to be sealed. I think when they put the shingles on they just did not seal the penetrations. That actually happens more than you would think.
Sounds like the rain came at a perfect time. Better to find this out before closing. I have always been the type of person that believes there is always room for negotiation. If not then you walk. Don't settle.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'd definitely have the roof and garage flooding fixed before closing. Even that 'minor puddling' is unwanted and fixable, if they're willing to spend the money. Water inside your home - even 'minor puddling' can develop mold growth, etc - lots of headaches.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I would advise you have them fix the house, then get a good hose, get on the roof and literally flood it with water. Then you will see if the leak has been fixed. Sounds to me like you are trying to convince yourself the house is sound...but you know that sound houses do not flood.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I'd definitely have the roof and garage flooding fixed before closing. Even that 'minor puddling' is unwanted and fixable, if they're willing to spend the money. Water inside your home - even 'minor puddling' can develop mold growth, etc - lots of headaches.
If the garage is puddling or flooding...walk away as fast as you can. No competent builder has a house where water flows TOWARD it.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
If the garage is puddling or flooding...walk away as fast as you can. No competent builder has a house where water flows TOWARD it.
You see the pics? It is an old house. Probably been like that forever. I think in a house that was built in the 50's (guessing by the pic) water issues are going to be pretty common. We had to deal with it in our last house which was built in 55, and just about every house in the neighborhood had some sort of sump in the crawl space.

The electrical and roof would be my concern. The electrical will definitely come back up when he sales and the market might not be as forgiving on issues that time around.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Do you have an outlet tester? Comes in handy when looking at houses. You can pick one up for like $10 at Lowe’s or HD.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Those seem like minor problems to me. Fix the non grounded electrical by replacing the 110 breakers with GFCI/arc fault. Very common. The roof looks brand new. Are the leaks happening now or is the visual evidence from old leaks? How much has it rained there lately?
The water in the garage would be the most concerning. If the water is just by the door it can be dealt with easily. A French drain in front of the house would be costly.

Is there a basement?

Reactions: Bazza

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Those seem like minor problems to me. Fix the non grounded electrical by replacing the 110 breakers with GFCI/arc fault. Very common. The roof looks brand new. Are the leaks happening now or is the visual evidence from old leaks? How much has it rained there lately?
The water in the garage would be the most concerning. If the water is just by the door it can be dealt with easily. A French drain in front of the house would be costly.

Is there a basement?
The leaks are coming in where they did not seal the penetrations. Just sloppy worksmanship. It poured on the day of inspection which was a good thing, otherwise this probably would not have been discovered until after I closed. The same with the puddling at the garage. They will do the french drain at their own cost or they will give me a credit and I will have it done myself. They apparently did not have a really smart architect go behind them to make sure they did their damn job.

Yes there is a basement.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza and seebell

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
You see the pics? It is an old house. Probably been like that forever. I think in a house that was built in the 50's (guessing by the pic) water issues are going to be pretty common. We had to deal with it in our last house which was built in 55, and just about every house in the neighborhood had some sort of sump in the crawl space.

The electrical and roof would be my concern. The electrical will definitely come back up when he sales and the market might not be as forgiving on issues that time around.
I confess...I did not look at the pictures. I had a 50 year old home with electrical and water issues. Best day of my life when I sold it. It was nothing but a drain...literally.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yep. I am month to month. Which was the whole damn point of not breaking a lease and getting charged for it. Now they are charging me anyway.
No idea if what they are doing is legal. I would seek legal advice

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
No idea if what they are doing is legal. I would seek legal advice
My last lease says that the lease will automatically renew month to month and I have to give 30 days notice prior to leaving. It only says if I "break" the lease can it charge me an additional months rent. definitely not 2 months rent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.