Infrastructure: Memphis I40 bridge over Mississippi river closed indefinitely after stress fracture discovered

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Yes it is possible. See dayhiker's post above. I don't remember the size but it was pretty darn big.
The smallest beam size made can fail under it's own weight.

If I check beams under their own weight and consider a stress ratio of 2.0 to be about where it might fail, and calculate the length needed to get to that stress level, then:

W6x9 - 23' - the beam would deflect 1.19" right before failure.....assuming that's about the stress level where it would collapse.
W14x22 - 60' - the beam would deflect 1.11"
W44x335 - 155' - deflection = 4.8"

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The smallest beam size made can fail under it's own weight.

If I check beams under their own weight and consider a stress ratio of 2.0 to be about where it might fail, and calculate the length needed to get to that stress level, then:

W6x9 - 23' - the beam would deflect 1.19" right before failure.....assuming that's about the stress level where it would collapse.
W14x22 - 60' - the beam would deflect 1.11"
W44x335 - 155' - deflection = 4.8"
What our attempt to do was create a beam that would fail no matter what you did. The length did not matter. We just wanted it to fail. We were really bored.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think that one is like dividing by 0, or something similar. If there isn't a span, there isn't a moment or a shear....or any mass for that matter.
The whole thing started from me making an off hand comment in class. All I asked was could you design a beam so heavy that it cannot support itself? The answer was yes, but why would you?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I saw that they are making emergency repairs. Since that beam was in tension, how do you re-tension it? The world's largest come-along?
You don't. If there was a huge gap, which then caused a huge sag in the bridge, they might try to figure out a way to lift the bridge before doing the repairs. None of that seems to be the case, so I imagine they'll just replace the tensile capacity that was lost.

It's odd to me that it fractured where it did and not through the connection. Think of all of the holes drilled in the piece that broke, yet it didn't break where the holes were. I bet there was some material issue going on there and the fatigue issue just made it show up there.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You don't. If there was a huge gap, which then caused a huge sag in the bridge, they might try to figure out a way to lift the bridge before doing the repairs. None of that seems to be the case, so I imagine they'll just replace the tensile capacity that was lost.

It's odd to me that it fractured where it did and not through the connection. Think of all of the holes drilled in the piece that broke, yet it didn't break where the holes were. I bet there was some material issue going on there and the fatigue issue just made it show up there.
It's weird that that had occurred to me also. Why didn't the bolts just start ripping out or tearing their holes?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Do you know the THP number off the top of your head? Everyone knows 911. They needed people off the bridge ASAP.
I don't know it off the top of my head but had it within 20 seconds of a Google search.

You make a valid point. Had I been the engineer, my first thought would have been "oh, crap! What do I do now?" 911 is the first thing you think of in and emergency.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Material could be internally reinforced there.
Possibly, but it depends on how deep that girder is. It's really hard to do that with a closed section like that. When you design the connection, you check tension on the net section (area with holes removed). That's basic stuff. Since that is probably a built up plate section that's much deeper that it appears in the photo, it could certainly have doubler plates on the connection. When you do that though, you get a stress riser where the doubler terminates.....maybe that fracture is where the doubler terminates.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Do you know the THP number off the top of your head? Everyone knows 911. They needed people off the bridge ASAP.
We were talking about this internally at our office. We were all saying that's a tough call to make, both as tough decision and physically making the call. They made the correct call calling 911. To almost anyone, seeing that fracture means it looks like imminent collapse. You don't call a bureaucracy like a highway department. You call the people with the authority to immediately put up barriers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.