Iowa State notifies NCAA of sports betting allegations involving football players

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I mentioned to someone at the gas station once that buying multiple tickets doesn’t really increase your odds of winning and thought I was going to have to fight.
I’m always so surprised at the number of Rolls Royces, Mercedes, and chauffeur driven limos I see outside the 7/Eleven when the Power Ball jackpots reach ridiculously high totals.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I remember years ago (like 15 years ago) someone mentioning in a GA meeting that their bookie would set points spreads and take “action” on local high school football and basketball games. I was like “What? You’re joking right?” Now nothing surprises me.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
In Gambling, Drinking, etc. we seemed to be doomed to keep repeating the mistakes of our forefathers in the expansion of so many vices from the past, retooled and repackaged, but are the same problems we use to have, and sometimes worked amazingly hard to reduce.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I was in a restaurant and the couple beside me was talking about the beach house, etc etc. they left in the Merc convertible with the license plate, “sec ref”.

No real evidence of anything, but I’ve been around long enough to have my assumptions.
Plenty of SEC refs have lucrative jobs outside of officiating. I served as a witness to Steve Shaw's will years ago (my brother in law drew it up). He lived in Shoal Creek at the time and was on his way to call the Orange Bowl. He was making a solid six figures in his "real" job while officiating as a side job.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
People play the lottery because they are terrible at math and love to dream.
Mrs. Basket Case usually has a ticket (as in, one) when the PowerBall gets over $100M. We both know it’s wasted money, but it’s fun to dream. So yeah, in our case, they’re selling a daydream for $1 a drawing — one that has almost, but not quite, zero chance.

Didn't Ross Perot say that the lottery is a tax on stupid people.
Sometimes referred to as “The poor man’s 401k”.
If there are people out there who really do play the lottery instead of contributing to a retirement plan, or do so to the extent that it compromises their ability to contribute to a retirement plan, they are (1) well and truly stupid, and (2) will remain poor.

And the galling part: Their vote counts the same as everybody else’s.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Mrs. Basket Case usually has a ticket (as in, one) when the PowerBall gets over $100M. We both know it’s wasted money, but it’s fun to dream. So yeah, in our case, they’re selling a daydream for $1 a drawing — one that has almost, but not quite, zero chance.
There is some point - you'd have to do the math - where the payout is so large that the expected value of the ticket is greater than what you pay for the ticket.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I bet on a football game one time. Bet the prettiest girl in town a steak dinner on the Alabama vs Auburn game. I lost, but I didn’t mind paying up at all !
You got a second date by betting her that Dustin Hoffman was in "Star Wars", didn't you?
Then a third one by doing a leave behind of an $8,000 wool hat, right?

Reactions: Tidelines

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you've watched any Iowa St games in the last 2 years in particular, they seem to have a really nasty habit of blowing close games late - as in what feels like ALL the time anymore. More than once, I've mused "are these guys throwing the game?" Because I watch a lot of their games because I know multiple alumni, and we chat about it via text during the game (they watch Alabama, too). And so many times ISU in the last 2 seasons has looked like, "Hey, they should be able to pull this out" and it seems like pretty much every time some disaster occurs.

For those who don't remember (or who pay little attention), baseball's investigator (John Dowd) who suspended Pete Rose for life investigated Don Zimmer and two umps, who were placed on basically "double secret" probation that remained hidden for 13 years until a disgruntled ex-lover revealed it.

BASEBALL; Zimmer and Umpires Say an Old Debt Has Been Paid - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Hard for me to go along with "hey, we're transparent" combined with "let's give the umps a secret probation."

An ump has a whole lot more control over the outcome of a game than a manager does.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I would feel better if refs (a) got paid enough that they would be afraid of losing the lucrative gig and (b) refs were required to submit to life-long financial disclosures. What assets do you own, where, since when? And your federal income tax filings.
Dreaming.

Greed has a way of skewing morals...:cool:

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
You got a second date by betting her that Dustin Hoffman was in "Star Wars", didn't you?
Then a third one by doing a leave behind of an $8,000 wool hat, right?
Actually ,didn’t need a second date. Just kidding, she was a very reputable young lady.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtgreg

tidebanker

1st Team
Oct 10, 2002
Hoover, AL USA
Plenty of SEC refs have lucrative jobs outside of officiating. I served as a witness to Steve Shaw's will years ago (my brother in law drew it up). He lived in Shoal Creek at the time and was on his way to call the Orange Bowl. He was making a solid six figures in his "real" job while officiating as a side job.
Doesn’t that make it even it easier? More money to play with and less speculation. Don’t have to put big numbers down like a poor baseball coach. Having a nice job doesn’t indicate character. I have a nice job and I rationalize my behavior so I can tell myself I’m a good person.

There are questionable calls and people get fined for questioning those people. Doesn’t lend itself to trustworthiness. It is said that if you want to identify the liars, they are ones trying to keep others quiet.

Bottomline is I don’t trust them. Until there is transparency, less sports betting smoke, and in game consistency…..there is more data to question them than there is to believe they are lilly white.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.