Is it too early for this? Who comes back and who turns pro?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Possibly, but practice squads are limited to 16 players - I don't think there's much room 'long term' there.
Yeah practice squad players are typically guys hoping to make an impact on the preseason and people to say “ if we get injured then that guy is a good 4th option”. I think Slade’s best shot is to get noticed by the right team in workouts and training camp. I think his NFL career is really based on what he can prove in the next 8 months and he could really be back into coaching or doing something with his degree after that.

Wish him the best but I think his playing time with either choice was probably at an end in the NCG.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
When a team has not one but two thousand plus yard receivers, you can bet the backups are not getting much work. We only return about 25% of the receiving, and a good portion of that is TE's and RB's. A lot of this inexperience we saw is on the coaches for not putting these guys on the field more and getting them some meaningful catches throughout the season, or not getting them enough quality reps in practice, or both. Just basic catching technique seemed to be a little off, indicating to me that they are not coached hard enough in practice. (maybe they assume they won't play in the game anyway). This late in the year, a receiver should not look like he has not played any. We lose at least one key skill player literally every year, yet we had JaMo out there returning a kickoff AFTER Metchie went down? I don't get that.
Developing depth and experience has to ratchet up in priority, and chasing individual awards maybe drops off some. Attrition will only get worse when the playoffs expand.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
No, practice squad does not make league minimum - in 2021 players with two or fewer accrued NFL seasons earn $9,200 per week ($165,600 for 18 weeks spent on the practice squad).
I was thinking they didn’t make much but wondered how much things may have changed over the years. I had a cousin barely miss making the Chargers roster. He got cut in the last cut of preseason. They asked him to join the practice squad but the pay was not a whole lot and the cost of living in San Diego was such that it just wasn’t worth it. Couple that with things some men are willing to do to you in order to stay on that NFL paycheck…well he has other employment now and doing well for himself.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
When a team has not one but two thousand plus yard receivers, you can bet the backups are not getting much work. We only return about 25% of the receiving, and a good portion of that is TE's and RB's. A lot of this inexperience we saw is on the coaches for not putting these guys on the field more and getting them some meaningful catches throughout the season, or not getting them enough quality reps in practice, or both. ...

Developing depth and experience has to ratchet up in priority, and chasing individual awards maybe drops off some. Attrition will only get worse when the playoffs expand.
I don't think this coaching staff starts awarding practice reps until the player does all of the off-the-field things he's been told to do. He also has to keep doing those things and do what he's told to do by his position coaches once he gets the practice time. If they can't do what they're told, they get Billingsley-ed.

No other coaching staff develops players like this one does and that starts with getting young men to grow up a little.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.