Jalen Milroe is now the starter going forward.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Well, you can't pick from options you don't have, and currently, we do not have a proven option at QB and apparently Saban is still competing to do the best he can this season. If that weren't the case, he'd bench all three of the QB's he's tried and give the freshman QB the game snaps. So no, I don't think he's throwing in the towel.
I don’t think Saban is throwing in the towel. I do think it’s his fault we didn’t get a QB from the portal in the off-season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think a lot of us are also making too much of the offensive line.

Yes the offensive line through 2 games has been dissapointing(especially by bama standards), but it's pretty typical for a starting group for a bigtime power program. Bryce's footwork and pocket presence made it a lot better than it was the last two years, and the three qbs who have played through 3 games have made it look a lot worse.
We made the USF Bulls look like the '85 Bears.

I'm afraid it runs deeper than "disappointing."

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Based on reading posts on a message board?
Not from the post. Saban came off as weak and indecisive from this situation. From the team effort and attitude Saturday how could you not think some players were bagging it. You really think all of the sudden SF is a decent team. Serveral of them don’t deserve to be at Bama. I have never said that before. The team meeting most likely was to gather support for Jalen. And Saban gave in to them. That is why Saban took a big hit in my eyes.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Jess got me fired up with this nugget.

"If we were picking the depth chart at this point, Simpson would get the start against Ole Miss with Milroe ready in case things went sideways early, and Dylan Lonergan would begin the grooming process to take over later in the year."

Reactions: FaninLA and B1GTide

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The 'reason' is that Milroe, TS, and buchner all have appeared in limited game time so far(and likely in practice as well?) that they are unable to play qb well. So if that's the case, Saban probably figured he would go with the one who is at least an explosive athlete and may add a few highly positive plays that way.

I really don't think it is anything more than that, and the board is reading way too much into this. Saban is going with Milroe for the Olemiss game because we don't have a viable option at qb right now. That's a problem, but it is what it is.
Ty did enough to earn the start against Ole Miss.

Bamaingeorgia81

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2022
I'm not surprised by this at all. After watching the other quarterbacks, I had a feeling Saban would start Jalen. I think he's the best option to lead the offense. He's only going to get better and more dangerous.
I'm not as optimistic about Jalen getting a lot better(I'm not optimistic he can develop into a solid fbs starting qb), but I think your post is about how I feel.

And I don't think many people outside of this forum were surprised at this at all. From watching the national coverage it was pretty much expected that after giving buchner and simpson a half saturday that Saban would go back to Milroe.

Yes Milroe played poorly, but that was against Texas at least. Buchner and Simpson played really poorly and made like 4 plus plays between them the whole game against a really bad football team. That is a difference.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Not from the post. Saban came off as weak and indecisive from this situation. From the team effort and attitude Saturday how could you not think some players were bagging it. You really think all of the sudden SF is a decent team. Serveral of them don’t deserve to be at Bama. I have never said that before. The team meeting most likely was to gather support for Jalen. And Saban gave in to them. That is why Saban took a big hit in my eyes.
You must not be looking at the same trophy case I'm looking at then.

Bamaingeorgia81

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2022
Ty did enough to earn the start against Ole Miss.
I believe you are in the minority with that opinion as he was given a whole half+ and only completed 5 balls total and made basically no plays with his legs either, but I respect the opinion.

Also, you may be right and Simpson may actually be the better option. I don't think any of us know for sure.

HighlandOak

All-SEC
Mar 8, 2023
Well, you can't pick from options you don't have, and currently, we do not have a proven option at QB and apparently Saban is still competing to do the best he can this season. If that weren't the case, he'd bench all three of the QB's he's tried and give the freshman QB the game snaps. So no, I don't think he's throwing in the towel.
If starting Lonergan means throwing in the towel, then I'm all for it.

Reactions: TDBama78

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I believe you are in the minority with that opinion as he was given a whole half+ and only completed 5 balls total and made basically no plays with his legs either, but I respect the opinion.

Also, you may be right and Simpson may actually be the better option. I don't think any of us know for sure.
He actually had 2 good runs and is much more mobile than people realize. Even in the post-game breakdown, Jess was solid in Ty getting the start. Then the players only meeting happened…

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree with him, and am okay if that places me in the minority.

But Saban chose Milroe. So he gets my support. If Ty gets the job later, he will get my support. That is my job as a fan. Support the guys on the field.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This is incredible to watch posters having a meltdown....
1695070997237.png

I'm not sure why you think it is "incredible" when you yourself stated you didn't like what you were hearing coming from your sources and you've greatly lowered your expectations. My guess is what you're hearing is probably worth having a meltdown.

Reactions: JustNeedMe81

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads