Jay Barker Arrested

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Maybe he was trying to leave before he really did do something stupid. One possible explanation for trying to run her over with the car.

Hopefully holding him for 24 hours is a cooling off period. I don’t know where they live, but if they are out of town that might’ve been necessary to keep the peace.

Reactions: B1GTide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Maybe he was trying to leave before he really did do something stupid. One possible explanation for trying to run her over with the car.

Hopefully holding him for 24 hours is a cooling off period. I don’t know where they live, but if they are out of town that might’ve been necessary to keep the peace.
Another possible explanation is that he wasn't trying to run over anyone, but perhaps reckless or perhaps someone else is just angry at him and "misinterpreted" his actions. Who knows at this point? If there is security footage it may become public later and will give a good idea of the truth if the film exists.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’ve embarrassed myself by publicly jumping to conclusions based on premature interpretation of evolving circumstances, and am trying to put those painful episodes to good use.

So I’ll just leave it that the best thing you can possibly say about the facts we do have (arrest at roughly 4:30 on a Saturday morning, and there’s a third-party witness, i.e., neither Jay nor Sara) is that it’s a really, really bad look.

Late Edit: The incident happened at roughly 1:30AM. Barker was arrested at roughly 4:30.

There had been rumblings that all was not well in the Barker marriage, but I didn’t know they were separated and living apart.

Regarding kids: I know that both Jay and Sara had children from previous marriages. I’m not aware that they had any together — of course, I didn’t know they were separated either.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Little more information. You have two people in the car saying he backed up trying to hit them. I think I would need some witnesses outside the situation to confirm that. One thing is clear: he needs to stay as far away from her as possible, unless it’s to see the kids.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Another possible explanation is that he wasn't trying to run over anyone, but perhaps reckless or perhaps someone else is just angry at him and "misinterpreted" his actions. Who knows at this point? If there is security footage it may become public later and will give a good idea of the truth if the film exists.
It's like you think like a laboratory analyst or something.......

I have a friend (a black pastor) I work with and every time some situation comes up, he asks me what I think almost always based on the initial reports. Virtually every time, I tell him, "I have to have more information to make an effective assessment."

Many things happen in situations like this. Sometimes someone sorta blows up but isn't really close to exploding on the person. Other times, one person wants the leverage in court and exaggerates things (my ex, who never met a situation she couldn't create a weekly drama about, showed up at our divorce hearing with the written opinion of a doctor trying to force me to pay extra years of child support. The claim was my son was "disabled." She interrupted the judge. Once. That judge - a female mind you - let her have it right then and there, putting her finger in her face and telling her that she wasn't having it. It took all I had to not burst out laughing at the comeuppance. I later told the lawyer the money I lost in overpaid support - about $2,000 - was worth it just to see the judge slap her down that way).

I'm sad, though.

Don't be surprised if CTE doesn't come up as a mention at some point whether by friend or foe.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Please tell me you’re not seriously suggesting she’s in any way responsible for an alleged assault against her…
Please tell me you’re not seriously taking only one account between two people in an obviously strenuous domestic situation? I don’t care about the article, but to already have your mind made up with such limited information is short sighted.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
As a fellow student of Jay's from 90 to 93, I love the guy. Always idolized him even though he was a year younger than me.

I still remember a Crimson White cartoon drawing of him when Stallings recruited him. His football accomplishments and broadcasting career were real points of pride for me and I thought of him as the ideal Bama QB when I left Tuscaloosa in 1993. I was always proud of that guy from Trussville and everything he accomplished.

All that said, get your blank together Jay. Most of us have been divorced by our age, dude. Figure it out and don't dig the hole any deeper.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.