Aug 14, 2003
Pensacola, FL 32514
That didn't last long..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I wish the guy the best and can't blame him (to SOME degree) for taking the money and running. But it may well come with a more expensive price tag than the pay increase he will get. He hasn't built up enough cache on the P5 level to go to Florida, fall on his face, and be in line for another DC position at a big-time program.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wish the guy the best and can't blame him (to SOME degree) for taking the money and running. But it may well come with a more expensive price tag than the pay increase he will get. He hasn't built up enough cache on the P5 level to go to Florida, fall on his face, and be in line for another DC position at a big-time program.
he was on Sunbelt Billy’s staff so there is some familiarity between the two. So I guess it’s the job he really wanted and seeing that Saban wasn’t going to give him the big role he jumped to Sunbelt Billy again

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
he was on Sunbelt Billy’s staff so there is some familiarity between the two. So I guess it’s the job he really wanted and seeing that Saban wasn’t going to give him the big role he jumped to Sunbelt Billy again
Really behind the eight ball now with an older DC already hired. It’s going to be tough to pull someone as bright as Armstrong was viewed.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He's getting in on the ground floor of the rebuilding. If it doesn't workout he can be on Sunbelt Billy's coaching staff at the next Sunbelt team he coaches.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah I’m constantly reminded of the Cult of Pruitt’s line defending his decision to go to Tennessee “Hey bad big time experience is always better than no big time experience”. I was like… “this isn’t the NFL”.

I wish Armstrong well but I have my doubts because Sunbelt Billy only seems like a minimal upgrade from what they got rid of at the moment.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
  • Haha
Reactions: dWarriors88

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Guy wants to be a DC at a power 5 program don't blame him at all, hope it works out for him, if someone says they wouldn't go to be a DC at a big program you're fooling yourself and never advance any where

Reactions: Tidelines and WAR

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm guessing his agent told him that they wanted to talk to him about being the defensive coordinator at an SEC school and doubling his salary. Of course, I could be wrong.
That’s just it, I think of it from that perspective, and that reasoning feels shallow. While it could be true, I just feel like there’s a lot more here that could be unpacked. It would be really interesting to be a fly on the wall

JDCrimson

Suspended
Feb 12, 2006
He likely absorbed the culture of ass chewing and long hours and jumped at the promotion.

I'm telling you these young folks don't respond to that whether they are a player or young coach.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
As a young guy with little experience , should he fails as DC at Florida he will get flushed back to mediocrity and most likely forgotten. The better career move at his age is to work under the best head coaches you can and pay you dues. Then when the opportunities come, and they will come, you'll be best prepared and people won't be so quick to flush you. I call it the Major Applewhite effect.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads