Law enforcement interaction with the public - solution-oriented ideas

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I don't know about any new legislation or reform stuff some are talking about. If that's your bag, then go for it.

My take is pretty simple and doesn't require any new legislation.

It just requires everyone to do what they are already supposed to be doing!

1. Public relations

I think the majority of cops are decent and do a good job and are just trying to earn a living and make it home each night.

But I also think right now law enforcement has a huge PR problem. What needs to happen to help is for EVERYONE in law enforcement to come out RIGHT NOW and be on record DENOUNCING the kind of disgusting behaviour we saw in Memphis last week. I mean EVERYONE!

I mean top to bottom.....absolutely FLOODING the media. Personal appearances on radio, TV, Internet, and print. The whole nine yards.

"We in law enforcement are ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED by what we saw, etc etc...."

"We take FULL RESPONSIBILITY, etc. etc...."

"We are currently going back through all training and education programs to see where we went wrong and there will be accountability where applicable....you have our word."

2. Training, education, tactics

Emphasis on bringing in the suspect HEALTHY and ALIVE - period!

Emphasis (where possible) on EASING OFF the tactics of immediate pursuit and more of the followup LATER, because we know who you are and we have you on video!

Emphasis on EVERY single officer holding EVERY single OTHER officer responsible for their actions. No more of this look the other way - I have your back BS. Because that will cost YOU your job in a New York minute!

Emphasis on EDUCATING the PUBLIC on THEIR responsibilities....because yeah......they have them too.

3. Accountability

All patrol units wear body cams. ALL cam footage reviewed at the end of each shift. At least two persons reviewing - maybe more. These reviewers will be those who have FULLY demonstrated they understand what it means to "Protect and Serve".....and have the ability to critique LEO behaviour, so that red flags are IDENTIFIED, documented, and addressed. If certain officers continue to demonstrate the wrong personality for the job, they are shown the door.

Open door policy that provides the general public a platform straight to a liaison at each precinct, who then conveys concerns forward. And....reports are completed on each concern and documented for future reference.

4. Leadership

Self-explanatory. Same as on a football team - without a leader things turn into a Chinese fire drill. Identify leaders and make them lead! Cannot emphasize how important this is!

5. Politics

IMHO, it's a shame that politics has to always be inserted into these discussions, but that's the world we live in.

It would be my objective to somehow avoid ALL political conversations and stay as "solution-oriented" as possible.

Those who continue to dwell on the politics should be identified and called out for who they are.....dividers and parasites.

6. The Media

I don't think the public has ANY idea of what's really going on, beyond just surface reporting mostly for shock and awe (for ratings, of course).

I wish we had more documentaries and more detailed reporting and less drama-based stuff.

We keep seeing the same stuff over and over again and people wonder why things don't change....

7. Summary

Right now I want law enforcement to provide as much transparency as possible into what goes on in the day and night of their job. Then (and this is very important)......be open to making adjustments as needed to improve the public's opinion. That takes into account a whole lot of stuff, probably.

I was in corporate sales for quite a few years and have to say right now I don't see anyone doing ANY selling. It's just a big freaking mess with a bunch of dumb ideas being mentioned as a fix when the basics just seem to be getting ignored....

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Well one improvement would be that no detainee should die from the hands of a police officer. Which is to say a detainee should not be beaten or strangled to death by a police officer. If this happens the officer should have some serious splaining to do and corroborating evidence.

Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Well one improvement would be that no detainee should die from the hands of a police officer. Which is to say a detainee should not be beaten or strangled to death by a police officer. If this happens the officer should have some serious splaining to do and corroborating evidence.
Under my #2.....

Emphasis on bringing in the suspect HEALTHY and ALIVE - period!
Over in the other NS forum I mentioned an older western called "Seven Ways From Sunday". The plot revolves around a Texas Ranger, played by Audie Murphy, bringing in a wanted outlaw, played brilliantly by Barry Sullivan.

The entire trip back Audie Murphy's character was faced with scenarios where it would have been much easier to let Sullivan's character be killed. But he was determined to bring him in alive, which he did.

The Clint Eastwood classic "Coogan's Bluff" - same thing.

I know these are just movies, but for me they are more than that - they convey a time honored tradition in law enforcement.

Reactions: JDCrimson

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Good points Baz.
I don’t see the feasibility of #3 the way you wrote it. 2 sets of eyes reviewing ~8 hrs of each body cam each shift would be incredibly expensive and the resources just don’t exist. I could see it if you narrowed down the scope some.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
It just requires everyone to do what they are already supposed to be doing!
So basically do nothing and pray things change. That sounds a lot like many people's gun control argument as well. If doing "what they are already supposed to be doing" worked we would not be having this conversation.

Legislation is needed to knock these departments down a few pegs. A nationwide ban on local police/sheriff departments acquiring military equipment and gear. Dismantling of all special units. The use of unmarked cars by uniformed officers should be outlawed. This idea that they are going to war needs to end.
maybe if all of those good cops would stop looking the other way/covering up and playing the thin blue line card when this stuff happens
Those looking the other way are not good cops IMO.

Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Good points Baz.
I don’t see the feasibility of #3 the way you wrote it. 2 sets of eyes reviewing ~8 hrs of each body cam each shift would be incredibly expensive and the resources just don’t exist. I could see it if you narrowed down the scope some.

Thanks for your response and I think you're right, @Tug Tide .

Maybe the review work can be tailored down to suspected trouble areas. I know when I was in corporate sales, our Regional Managers tended to spend more time with the branches that weren't quite performing as expected. Pretty much left the others alone except for an occasional visit. Allocate resources where needed!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
maybe if all of those good cops would stop looking the other way/covering up and playing the thin blue line card when this stuff happens

Thanks and great point @92tide --- and I totally agree, per my comments under #2:

Emphasis on EVERY single officer holding EVERY single OTHER officer responsible for their actions. No more of this look the other way - I have your back BS. Because that will cost YOU your job in a New York minute!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
This segment just showed up in my YT feed. This is my county.

If you look at what I wrote under #1 Public Relations and #6 The Media - here is an example of what I want to see more of...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I don’t even see how #5 is possible when you have the head of police unions going full MAGA and supporting candidates.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.