Looking Ahead to the 2020 Regular Season Schedule

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Since we are already turning the page, practically speaking, here's a look at the 2020 schedule.

One thing is for sure, we won't get accused of not playing anybody next year with a better opener at Jerry World against USC, Georgia at home in week 3, and Texas AM coming the week before Auburn.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/alabama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ask Clemson if they care what anyone thinks about their strength of schedule when they are playing in the CFP later this month.

SoS only helps/hurts if you lose - so don't lose.

Reactions: Windsortide

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If departures are as bad as they could possibly be then we're probably a 9-3 team v. that schedule unless UGA is hurt even worse (they are a very Junior and Senior heavy team).

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Going to be a brutal season. It will be interesting to see how this team shapes up with the offensive losses we will have.
Of course, we'll miss Tua. But I think we'll be OK at QB. We also have a lot of depth returning at the skill positions. I don't know what will happen with the OL. That's the key...and not losing half of our front 7 in fall camp.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If departures are as bad as they could possibly be then we're probably a 9-3 team v. that schedule unless UGA is hurt even worse (they are a very Junior and Senior heavy team).
It's easy to say that only focusing on ourselves, but as you point out, Georgia is going to lose some folks. USC, LSU, and Auburn will as well. Where are your 3 losses coming from?

I'm going to look on the bright side with that A&M game because Lord knows playing an FCS before Auburn hasn't necessarily helped us any, if we look at our record vs. the barn. Playing MSU and Tennessee back to back isn't optimal though. Seems we get guys hurt against them more than any other teams.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We really don't have that much returning skill position talent in terms of people who made meaningful contributions this season. Waddle and Robinson seem to be basically it and Robinson was frankly unproductive in the SEC schedule. If Robinson doesn't have a big-time leap in the off-season, he could be the 3rd tailback by this time next year. Meachie seems like he'll be a good one at WR but he's never played a meaningful snap really. Tailback position is hanging on Trey Sanders being 100% and potentially Roydell Williams coming from Hueytown.

Could be losing both tackles and potentially a guard (Dickerson) but I think we're likely to keep Dickerson. The more I think about it, it would be a bigger win for the 2020 offense to somehow keep this starting five together for one more year than getting an unexpected return of 1 out of 3 Junior WRs. Still, the interior OL sticking together would be a huge boon for the run game in 2020. We have some young guys at tackle that got a year or two of preparation before being forced onto the field which has been a rarity for our OTs over the last decade. The more OL we keep from this current group, the better our offense in 2020. They won more than they lost v. Auburn's elite DL. Kicked their asses for large stretches of the game. If Wills and Leatherwood said no to the money on the table, our projections on offense in 2020 would go up dramatically.

Reactions: bamacon

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's easy to say that only focusing on ourselves, but as you point out, Georgia is going to lose some folks. USC, LSU, and Auburn will as well. Where are your 3 losses coming from?

I'm going to look on the bright side with that A&M game because Lord knows playing an FCS before Auburn hasn't necessarily helped us any, if we look at our record vs. the barn. Playing MSU and Tennessee back to back isn't optimal though. Seems we get guys hurt against them more than any other teams.
My guesses right now would be v. UGA, @LSU, and Auburn as losses but as illustrated by you and I: those teams are losing folks just like us.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Don't sell UT and Pruit short next year. I'm not predicting a loss, but we've got to go there and if they've had success before us, that'll end up being a game to not take lightly.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Don't sell UT and Pruit short next year. I'm not predicting a loss, but we've got to go there and if they've had success before us, that'll end up being a game to not take lightly.
We’ll kick his ass on Rocky Top. It’s when we play at home where we play down to competition.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
My only concern is....yes, we lose three of our WR's, Tua...but how does the OL shape up. I'm not worried about the offense outside of the OL.

Defensively, do we improve the depth? Do we improve on recognizing formations? Do players hit their assigned gaps?

MungBard

Nov 16, 2019
Baton Rouge
My guesses right now would be v. UGA, @LSU, and Auburn as losses but as illustrated by you and I: those teams are losing folks just like us.
I'd love to think this, but Bama owns LSU in Baton Rouge even more-so than in Tuscaloosa, and as noted, we are losing a bunch too (15 seniors plus any that declare for the next level). Saban has a way with next-man-up, so I'm sure you'll be right back in the conversation for a championship.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I have no idea what to expect next year and not just because our team is kind of up in the air

Is LSU the same team offensive team without Burrow and Chase? Does Brady leave?

Is Georgia better or worse without Fromm? Does Fromm come back?

Just a few of the questions that make next season interesting in the SEC.

That said, Ohio State and Clemson will likely be the top 2 teams in the country (possibly by a wide margin) to start the season.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
We will probably lose Wills, Leatherwood, and Brown to the draft. We may also lose Dickerson. We have some really good young players who only need playing time. Neal will move to his natural tackle position. We may end up with a better O line next year.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Maybe a few of the 25-27 players coming in from next year's top rated recruiting class can help us a little.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Maybe a few of the 25-27 players coming in from next year's top rated recruiting class can help us a little.
I think we feel a little "burned" with the struggles this freshman class had, but typically there will be a few (numbers vary from year to year) who will be "impact" players. I'd be shocked if next year we didn't return to this.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
They're giving 29 in their conference championship game...That's all you need to know about the ACC...29.
Ask Clemson if they care what anyone thinks about their strength of schedule when they are playing in the CFP later this month.

SoS only helps/hurts if you lose - so don't lose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.