Link: LSU accidentally overpays football coach Brian Kelly by $1M

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Part of his salary was to paid to him directly, part to an LLC. this is done for tax purposes. The mistake was LSu paid him and his LLC the same amount, resulting in the overpayment. Surely he has to give it back or have it deducted in the future. You can't keep it unless LSU agrees and then there are procedures to be follow. Not sure the board of regents would agree.

Reactions: dtgreg

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Part of his salary was to paid to him directly, part to an LLC. this is done for tax purposes. The mistake was LSu paid him and his LLC the same amount, resulting in the overpayment. Surely he has to give it back or have it deducted in the future. You can't keep it unless LSU agrees and then there are procedures to be follow. Not sure the board of regents would agree.
Actually, each major HC coach has a separate LLC for non-University income (camps, endorsement deals outside of the AD, etc). This was apparently what LSU was paying into in addition to his normal salary.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Actually, each major HC coach has a separate LLC for non-University income (camps, endorsement deals outside of the AD, etc). This was apparently what LSU was paying into in addition to his normal salary.
Yes, this is a common practice for a lot of business owners, especially in the real estate and insurance business. The eye opener, whether we think its funny or not, is that those in Kelly's camp not saying a word and I struggle to believe it "got overlooked in the flow of incoming money". Ive been a part of waaaay too many audits over my 25 years of accountancy to believe that.

Reactions: Padreruf

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yes, this is a common practice for a lot of business owners, especially in the real estate and insurance business. The eye opener, whether we think its funny or not, is that those in Kelly's camp not saying a word and I struggle to believe it "got overlooked in the flow of incoming money". Ive been a part of waaaay too many audits over my 25 years of accountancy to believe that.
I recently got overpaid by a mere $450 on a bonus payment and I noticed. I contacted accounting, they reworked the numbers and agreed I was correct.
Some would say “Why? It’s only $450?” First, it is the right thing to do. But the real reason is I want to be trusted by my employer. What if during reconciliation process they find the error? Just like with Kelly, there could be questions of whether I knew and chose to remain quiet. Money is important. But your reputation is more important.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I recently got overpaid by a mere $450 on a bonus payment and I noticed. I contacted accounting, they reworked the numbers and agreed I was correct.
Some would say “Why? It’s only $450?” First, it is the right thing to do. But the real reason is I want to be trusted by my employer. What if during reconciliation process they find the error? Just like with Kelly, there could be questions of whether I knew and chose to remain quiet. Money is important. But your reputation is more important.
It doesn't go unnoticed. The legislative auditors and the LSU regents may not say one word to Kelly about it, but it will be noted, especially in the audit papers of the Legislative Auditors. They have looooong memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: CB4

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
They've already worked out a plan...He's receiving less for the next 12 months to make up the mistake...
Must be nice to make up 1.1 mil in 12 months...whoops!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.