JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Meanwhile, across the country in cities everywhere, the slaughter continues:
Four dead, including teen, in multiple weekend shootings: ‘It’s getting out of hand’

On a busy Saturday night at the Inner Harbor over Memorial Day weekend, crowds of people enjoying a warm evening downtown started running frantically for cover after gunshots rang out in the amphitheater area along the waterfront promenade.

Two teenage victims were hospitalized, and one later died, police said. They were both 17, a boy who was pronounced dead and a girl who was in stable condition hours after the shooting, according to Baltimore Police. The violence continued as two other men were killed in a triple shooting later Saturday night, and a woman was shot and killed early Sunday.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Carolyn Loughton flung herself on top of her daughter when a gunman with a high-powered rifle opened fire on a group of tourists in Australia, but it was not enough to save Sarah's life. The shooting, in a café in the Tasmanian town of Port Arthur in April 1996, resulted in 35 people killed, and another 23 wounded.

"The hardest things to do in politics often involve taking away rights and privileges from your own supporters," Howard said.

The tough new laws banned the sale and importation of all automatic and semi-automatic rifles and shotguns; forced people to present a legitimate reason, and wait 28 days, to buy a firearm; and – perhaps most significantly – called for a massive, mandatory gun-buyback. Australia's government confiscated and destroyed nearly 700,000 firearms, reducing the number of gun-owning households by half.

Howard told Doane, "People used to say to me, 'You violated my human rights by taking away my gun.' And I'd tell them, 'I understand that. Will you please understand the argument, the greatest human right of all is to live a safe life without fear of random murder?'"

If we tally mass shootings that have killed four or more people, in the United States there have been well over 100 since the Port Arthur tragedy. But in Australia, there has been just one in the 26 years since their gun laws were passed. Plus, gun homicides have decreased by 60%.

Howard said, "It is incontestable that gun-related homicides have fallen quite significantly in Australia, incontestable."
What can Australia teach us about guns and gun control? (msn.com)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
She used the gun in a responsible manner and saved lives. Unless she had a very lucky shot, she knew what she was doing with the gun.

I have no problem with what she did.
The fact that he never left his vehicle means basically that she got him with multiple head shots. In the multiple bare bones accounts, I've not been able to confirm that he was shooting from his vehicle...

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida
it is good she did what she did. but she (and others) shouldn’t have to be doing this in the first place
Personally, I definitely do NOT think everybody and his cousin should walk around armed. No matter how good you are at practice, you don't know what you'll be able to do when panicked or panicked and confused. I remember some yahoo woman telling me how fewer people would have died in the Aurora, CO movie theater shooting spree had theater goers been armed. In a movie theater. Where you least expect that to happen so you probably can't immediately make sense of the situation. And you may not know where the shots are coming from especially if the shooter is moving. Yeah, everybody should be armed and just taking pot shots all over and back. Good plan.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Personally, I definitely do NOT think everybody and his cousin should walk around armed. No matter how good you are at practice, you don't know what you'll be able to do when panicked or panicked and confused. I remember some yahoo woman telling me how fewer people would have died in the Aurora, CO movie theater shooting spree had theater goers been armed. In a movie theater. Where you least expect that to happen so you probably can't immediately make sense of the situation. And you may not know where the shots are coming from especially if the shooter is moving. Yeah, everybody should be armed and just taking pot shots all over and back. Good plan.
I use to conceal carry. Our kids know how to shoot bb guns. I haven't carried since my oldest was a toddler. Because the chance of my kids digging in my purse far outweigh me getting into a bad situation & responding with a .38.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had a work situation arise which could have been life threatening. It was an embezzlement and two of the three people implicated got murdered. I represented the victimized company. I carried regularly for a while but, after several years, that's sort of cooled down. If I'm going somewhere in my truck, then I keep a gun in there while I'm in it but I seldom carry on my person any more...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
TAFT, Okla. (KFOR) – Multiple people were shot and injured at an outdoor event in Taft, Oklahoma, early Sunday morning, authorities say.

According to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, at least 1,500 people were in attendance at the annual Memorial Day outdoor festival in the Old City Square.

Witnesses told police that an argument started just after midnight and shots were fired.

In total, eight people were shot, authorities say. One person has died and seven others were injured, including two juveniles.
I guess there wasn't enough carnage to justify much coverage.

MrMobTown

May 23, 2022
But hiding behind a theater seat and praying that you're not the next one to be shot isn't a good option either. Everybody has a right to defend themselves. We need to be figuring out a way to keep any weapons out of the hands of nut jobs and not people that just don't want to become a victim.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
There is a way to uphold the 2A and right to defend one's self while also removing most weapons of mass execution, in particular semiautomatic weapons and especially when combined with high capacity magazines. We have already done it for fully automatic weapons. You can still own one (or more) of those fully automatic weapons if you meet the requirements and pay the fees (and wait on the bureaucratic process), so they aren't technically outlawed. We can do the same with the weapons being used today similarly to the Tommy guns of the past. The US would become a safer place and we preserve the 2A and the right of self defense. It's doable if we have the will. I'm afraid we don't and we won't.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
On one hand I don't want to see it or for it to become just another grotesque spectacle. On the other, something more like Emmett Till in an open casket might be more acceptable.

Reactions: 2003TIDE and Con

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If the cops had rushed the building as soon as they got there and someone got killed, Facebook would be filled with tribute posts with the flag with the blue stripe and everyone singing his praises.

So they should publish a list of everyone who stood around for an hour or at least the person in charge who told them to stand down. Let’s make him famous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.