Midterms, will House and Senate flip?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've been trying to cope with the idea the House might flip to GOP control this midterm, the idea is pretty scary. The troublemakers seem to be in charge now, how extreme would they get if they take the majority?

The Senate seems like more of a chance for the Dems to hang on, Trump is endorsing far right candidates that may not do well in general elections. But that's not much to hang your hat on, as the expression goes.

Yesterday the Supreme Court heard a case that may be used to limit or deny women's access to abortions. The questioning left commentators wondering if the entire Roe v. Wade case will be overruled or only modified. I don't think either option is going to go over very well with the general public, and women in particular. My understanding is we will get a decision well before the elections are held, giving the public time to absorb and react to what was done.

Could the loss of Roe v. Wade be the straw that broke the camel's back, and usher in strong Dem majorities in both wings of Congress? I'm afraid if the GOP controls Congress, we will see things we cannot even imagine now.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've been trying to cope with the idea the House might flip to GOP control this midterm, the idea is pretty scary. The troublemakers seem to be in charge now, how extreme would they get if they take the majority?

The Senate seems like more of a chance for the Dems to hang on, Trump is endorsing far right candidates that may not do well in general elections. But that's not much to hang your hat on, as the expression goes.

Yesterday the Supreme Court heard a case that may be used to limit or deny women's access to abortions. The questioning left commentators wondering if the entire Roe v. Wade case will be overruled or only modified. I don't think either option is going to go over very well with the general public, and women in particular. My understanding is we will get a decision well before the elections are held, giving the public time to absorb and react to what was done.

Could the loss of Roe v. Wade be the straw that broke the camel's back, and usher in strong Dem majorities in both wings of Congress? I'm afraid if the GOP controls Congress, we will see things we cannot even imagine now.
we are going to see unabashed racism and misogyny on full display by the gop over the next 11 months with trump and his low-life minions leading the charge. what effect that will have on the election, i don't know.

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Historically, the party out of power makes major gains in an off-year election. It's scary to think of the Republicans in control of both houses of Congress. I fervently hope that doesn't happen.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Historically, the party out of power makes major gains in an off-year election. It's scary to think of the Republicans in control of both houses of Congress. I fervently hope that doesn't happen.
And based on the recent elections it appears that voters have a short memory - they're not super-happy with what's happened so far and act like throwing more repubs at the problem will somehow help.

But hey, I generally feel that the less congress does the better, so if this gums things up, I'll make the best of it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think it depends on how the economy is doing. If things are going well, people will re-elect the same folks. If it is not doing well, people will put in a new guy to screw up. People tend to vote with their wallets.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
And based on the recent elections it appears that voters have a short memory - they're not super-happy with what's happened so far and act like throwing more repubs at the problem will somehow help.

But hey, I generally feel that the less congress does the better, so if this gums things up, I'll make the best of it.
Absolutely! The PTBs are too tribal and stupid to give us sane, efficient, constitutional government. So, the best that realistically happen is to have one pile of crap cancel out the other pile of crap as much as possible. I don't really care who controls the WH/Senate/House, as long as it's not a sweep by one party. Go Team Gridlock!

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Absolutely! The PTBs are too tribal and stupid to give us sane, efficient, constitutional government. So, the best that realistically happen is to have one pile of crap cancel out the other pile of crap as much as possible. I don't really care who controls the WH/Senate/House, as long as it's not a sweep by one party. Go Team Gridlock!
I used to believe that a republican Congress with a democrat president was ideal. Look what happened in the 90s. That mix was what we needed. Now, with the republicans not acting in good faith I no longer believe that.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

If the House and Senate flip, there probably will be a lot of Crowing about the defeat, but I think it's mostly gonna be 'Sound and Fury'.
An Idiot is a Idiot, and a Radical Dem and a Radical Rep are just wearing different color shirts. I will give the Radical Republicans credit, they are crazier than the Radical Democrats.
(Except maybe Maxine Watters)

Meanwhile America suffers while the House and Senate play
'One Upmanship Games' .

I'm conservative as heck, but...
IMO: Roe V Wade needs to remain as is.
It's hard to imagine America w/o Roe V Wade.

Reactions: seebell

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Agenda items don’t bother me much. A republican Congress that decides to throw aside actual election results next time is my biggest concern.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I don't see how it can't flip. I think the new redistricting maps take effect for 2022 after the 2020 census and unless Build Back Better gets a ton of push when the democrats quit trying to use JoJo the Idiot Marketing Company, both house and senate go R.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
By November of `22 the question the Republicans will be asking will be " Are you better off now, under the Biden administration and a Dem. congress, than you were two years ago? " Wasn`t it James Carville who said, " It`s the economy, stupid ." ? At the present rate, that`ll be the same question for `24.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I may be wrong, but I’m expecting the ruling on abortion will be strong motivator for people to vote Dem. It could well be the deciding factor in my opinion.

I can’t imagine trying to defend telling women they no longer can make their own decisions about when to have a child. They will just have to cope with this new world, get over it.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
But so many religious women in red districts will be celebrating the destruction of Roe v Wade. It will be viewed as the Christians taking back the country. It very well rally more radical GOP support.

I'm not sure it will really matter though if Democrats don't get the voting act passed. Without that, the GOP has basically rigged elections in many states. I don't see how Dems keep a majority without the voting act. To get it passed, they'll have to end the filibuster which they aren't doing.

Not ending the filibuster is going to be the biggest failure of this administration and congress. To continue to give the minority party majority power, where all they have to do to stop anything is raise a hand, is just insanity. I can guarantee you that the next time the GOP control both chambers, they will end the filibuster. Their supporters will praise them for it as well even when they have been blasting Dems for talking about doing it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Of course they'll flip.

UNLESS...the GOP nutbag wing (the MTG/Matt Gaetz/Jim Jordan wing) concentrates on blowing themselves away for insufficient allegiance to the Don-tator.

Look, I'm a firm believer in a divided government that leaves me alone and can't really do anything without a huge consensus. And here is where I side with NT18 - my issue isn't the trigger issues, it's the idea that either political party (and yes, it is solely the GOP right now before anyone thinks I'm using the "both sides" argument) would ever take it upon itself to override the results of any election.

This country can survive A LOT of things and a lot of disagreements. It CANNOT survive a political party arbitrarily deciding that the winner of the election didn't really win it and therefore, "we will install our person."

I suspect, though, the Democratic Party is going to find out that running as "well, we're not Trump" doesn't work nearly so well when Trump isn't actually on the ballot. But this is where the GOP is the co-conspirator with the liberals they claim to despise since Cheeto Jeezus is on a revenge tour.

And the flip is going to happen largely because the party in power virtually always loses seats at the mid-terms, and the Democrats have no margin for error.

Also since I haven't said this elsewhere: I will never understand these morons who have this insane idea that the Democrats can pass this infrastructure bill and that BBB (or whatever it is, the other one) bill and that this is going to miraculously flip the poll numbers. That simply doesn't happen in real life, it happens nowhere but in the movies. Voters already mad at the Democrats are not going to undergo a Saul on the road to Tarsus conversion because a bill that won't show benefits for years to them personally gets passed (and even if you built an overnight high speed rail, people simply don't vote that way).

Of course, smart Democrats (and President Obama was one) know, "Look, they'll get mad anyway so pass something before you lose your majority." This is where a lot of the intra-party stress with Manchin and Siena is focused.

Unless the GOP commits fratricide in the primaries, the Dems are going to lose control of both houses, probably only by a little. (Look, I was actually in favor of Biden, a Dem house, and a barely GOP Senate, but you can thank Petulant Man Child for Georgia sending two Democrats to DC as Senators).

As I said, I probably disagree with Biden on maybe 80% of the issues. He's a liberal, I'm a conservative. But I don't for one second regret voting for him, and he HAS, in fact, pleased me overall. But barring an intra-party GOP catastrophe, the Dems have 13 months left in power of Congress.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
UNLESS...the GOP nutbag wing (the MTG/Matt Gaetz/Jim Jordan wing) concentrates on blowing themselves away for insufficient allegiance to the Don-tator.
the sad part is they are going to triple down on doing this. and are still going to pull it off because there are a lot of folks in this country who are cool with it and think it's a good idea

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
the sad part is they are going to triple down on doing this. and are still going to pull it off because there are a lot of folks in this country who are cool with it and think it's a good idea
Well, it's not sad for the Democrats....:)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think the mango moron will again insert himself fully into the georgia elections. he can't help himself.

it's going to be hilarious (in sort of a twisted way) watching the next herschel try to thread the needle of coming across as a decent person and also being trump's toady in the primary.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I still think Saban should give his buddy Manchin a call and bring him around.

“My football team understands you are standing in the way of equal voting rights Joe. Give the country a break, end the filibuster. I went out on a limb when I endorsed you, you are the only politician I’ve ever done that for…well, I’m calling it due.”

Reactions: UAH

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i think the mango moron will again insert himself fully into the georgia elections. he can't help himself.

it's going to be hilarious (in sort of a twisted way) watching the next herschel try to thread the needle of coming across as a decent person and also being trump's toady in the primary.
Yes, but the GOP insists on this guy somehow being the way to win elections.

(At least the Reagan worship in the GOP was understandable - he actually won two thumping landslides as opposed to this guy whose win was solely the peculiarity of the ancient system).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.