NCAA Portal Talk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Maybe not an Alpha as it has been defined in this thread, but Kevin Norwood made several clutch catches in the NC game vs. LSU.

Marquis Maze was the leader as far as stats go, and the deep threat guy. Kenny Bell was another deep threat.

But yeah, different era. About as different as the 1970s vs. today is.
I still don’t see us absolutely needing a featured receiver. Our problem this year was more that our supporting cast couldn’t catch or get separation. A group that can make the clutch catches as a whole is far more important than the ace with a bunch of hit or miss guys around him. I mean really look at 2015, alot of people say Ridley was our pass game but when we seriously needed a clutch play Coker turned to OJ, Stewart,and Mulaney. Clemson basically said Ridley and Henry aren’t beating us, and we said “fine stop OJ and Stewart”. Throughout the Ridley era we were highly dependent on our #2 guys because Ridley had a tough time being the #1 guy

Georgia literally won a championship off of a bum ace and a TE/RB combo. They won because they caught balls and we didn’t. I would love to have an ace receiver but I think it’s far more important to have 3-4 guys that can make clutch catches.

jasongilbert69

1st Team
Oct 11, 2019
Yup & having a stud RB like Jahmyr Gibbs coming in will give us balance on offense that could become unstoppable.. Next years offense will be scary good..
Gibbs looks like an absolute steal! His elusiveness and cut-back vision is insane. He has like three gears when he runs. Reminds me alot like Drake but better between the tackles. Should definitely open up the passing game.

jasongilbert69

1st Team
Oct 11, 2019
I still don’t see us absolutely needing a featured receiver. Our problem this year was more that our supporting cast couldn’t catch or get separation. A group that can make the clutch catches as a whole is far more important than the ace with a bunch of hit or miss guys around him. I mean really look at 2015, alot of people say Ridley was our pass game but when we seriously needed a clutch play Coker turned to OJ, Stewart,and Mulaney. Clemson basically said Ridley and Henry aren’t beating us, and we said “fine stop OJ and Stewart”. Throughout the Ridley era we were highly dependent on our #2 guys because Ridley had a tough time being the #1 guy

Georgia literally won a championship off of a bum ace and a TE/RB combo. They won because they caught balls and we didn’t. I would love to have an ace receiver but I think it’s far more important to have 3-4 guys that can make clutch catches.
We may end up with their ace receiver!

JD Dupree

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 8, 2017
What does it say about Sark that he is willing to take on Billingsley, with the idea he probably knows about his attitude/work ethic?
That it’s a risk he’s willing to take? Or that he would feature the TE position better and thus make Billingsley happy?

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Maybe not an Alpha as it has been defined in this thread, but Kevin Norwood made several clutch catches in the NC game vs. LSU.

Marquis Maze was the leader as far as stats go, and the deep threat guy. Kenny Bell was another deep threat.

But yeah, different era. About as different as the 1970s vs. today is.
Kevin Norwood was always one of my favorites. Not the fastest, but good speed and moves, and you always got his best effort. I was really happy to see him shine against LSU in that championship.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Kevin Norwood was always one of my favorites. Not the fastest, but good speed and moves, and you always got his best effort. I was really happy to see him shine against LSU in that championship.
I like the way he went after the ball, and the way he caught the ball with his hands was textbook. Metchie has that same style of catching the ball.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
I do have to at least give Billingsley credit for that 4th down catch he made against the barn this year.
I’m not mad or disappointed for what Billingsley did or didn’t do in any game this year. I’m past that myself. I’m disappointed at what he could have become given his God given athletic ability. He had the athletic ability and the full support system of Bama to reach his potential. If he escaped to go to a place where he will not be pushed to the limits of his capabilities, then the results won’t be much different.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I’m not mad or disappointed for what Billingsley did or didn’t do in any game this year. I’m past that myself. I’m disappointed at what he could have become given his God given athletic ability. He had the athletic ability and the full support system of Bama to reach his potential. If he escaped to go to a place where he will not be pushed to the limits of his capabilities, then the results won’t be much different.
It's all good - not to mention his closer proximity to "catching" up to some camaraderie at South Padre Island -

1642845565078.png

• Haha
Reactions: UAllday

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
This guy looks similar to the 3 star we just offered in Louisiana.

He certainly looks like someone in whom we would have interest. I have no clue as to personal issues, etc...OTOH, if he did come we would be 3/5 of the way to having a great BB team.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads