NCAA Portal Talk

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
You can't lump Ogre's team in with Chizik's team. LSU had a ton of talent and they always recruit well. If you don't think Texas and A&M will be highly competitive with the NIL as it currently stands you are wrong. A&M finishing #1 and Texas #5 in recruiting after the year they just had is proof that you can pay players a lot of money just to get them to sign and no telling what they get if they become starters, all-conference, all-american.
Yep!

There will also be "performance bonuses" based on their increasing their value with each huge play that they make... :cool:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Or how long before one buys their own private dressing room. Or they start buying numbers from each other.

this does have popcorn potential.
The clown show this will turn into before everyone agrees there needs to be framework put in place is going to be fun to watch. GET YO POPCONE READY!!!!!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
But again money doesn’t equal championships, nor does it mean great players are coming.
Money does help though. It just doesn't guarantee success. The most expensive teams in every sport are not guaranteed a championship, at least in major US sports. However, the cheapest teams in every sport are nearly always guaranteed not to win a championship either. So money can make you competitive, it doesn't guarantee a win.

In this case, and we've discussed this some, Alabama isn't going to be in the top tier in terms of spending. They can't match the very richest, that's just not possible. However, can they spend their money more wisely and in theory get better results? Sure, that's possible. Under Saban one could argue that's likely.
I just don't know how it could survive a court challenge.
You and I were kind of on different sides of this issue, but not because I didn't want the players to have greater benefits. I just felt like this path was a really dangerous one to go down because there are no brakes, it's just full speed ahead. I can think of a bunch of ways to have funds going to athletes and improve the benefits they received that didn't turn into this. This was basically based on the California legislation, which in turn was basically based on the idea that you can't regulate NIL at all, meaning there's nothing that's not allowed. Turning black the clock via regulation seems like it would face too many obstacles. Just about the only way to stop this is for a school to cancel their football program (and the only ones I could see considering that would be ones made completely irrelevant by NIL).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Money does help though. It just doesn't guarantee success. The most expensive teams in every sport are not
You and I were kind of on different sides of this issue, but not because I didn't want the players to have greater benefits. I just felt like this path was a really dangerous one to go down because there are no brakes, it's just full speed ahead. I can think of a bunch of ways to have funds going to athletes and improve the benefits they received that didn't turn into this. This was basically based on the California legislation, which in turn was basically based on the idea that you can't regulate NIL at all, meaning there's nothing that's not allowed. Turning black the clock via regulation seems like it would face too many obstacles. Just about the only way to stop this is for a school to cancel their football program (and the only ones I could see considering that would be ones made completely irrelevant by NIL).
I think this was the eventuality based on the ruling anyway. What court is going to stand in the way of someone being able to make a living based on their public image?

I think the NCAA likely could have placed some limits there so that a player could choose 'up to', but even then there's no telling if it would stand up to a court case. But the reality is that the NCAA is a corrupt group of people that exist only to extract from college sports, not to help it in any way, and once again that is proven by their lack of foresight / planing as well as continual involvement. The NCAA made it worse than it had to be - they could have at least tapped the brakes a bit, even if it meant a court case would have to wind its way up and eventually strike down their rules.

But this was the eventuality, regardless. And I'm not crazy about what it has brought (and will continue to bring, to some extent, even with rules), but it's the right decision.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
What’s going to be interesting is when these five-star millionaire freshman come in, and they just aren’t ready physically or emotionally to start. And you’ve burned bridges with your current starters, because they aren’t getting the same funds as the phenoms. This is a dollar store chemistry set just waiting for oxygen in College Station. Especially with Jimbo Crablegs running the show.
It`s just nuts, IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Money does help though. It just doesn't guarantee success. The most expensive teams in every sport are not guaranteed a championship, at least in major US sports. However, the cheapest teams in every sport are nearly always guaranteed not to win a championship either. So money can make you competitive, it doesn't guarantee a win.

In this case, and we've discussed this some, Alabama isn't going to be in the top tier in terms of spending. They can't match the very richest, that's just not possible. However, can they spend their money more wisely and in theory get better results? Sure, that's possible. Under Saban one could argue that's likely.
Still here is the problem. MLB is probably the closest thing resembling CFB right now with regards to pay. I have constantly heard how rich the Mets and Dodgers are but in my lifetime I have seen more Braves and Cardinals WS titles and more times that they have made the WS than both. The problem is that you have a limited amount of spots to fill and you have no idea if 5 stars and 4 stars gel into championship teams.

College football also has an added element. It is still is a regional sport. Just because mega boosters start shelling out money at a guy living in podunk Mississippi doesn’t mean he is going to the highest bidder 3 states away. Many are going to stay close to home with comfortable offers. Teams like LSU and Oklahoma are probably going to feel the brunt of the Texas “problem” than teams like Alabama. As for Florida…. I don’t think people realize how unserious every university in the state actually is in terms of football. They aren’t Alabama or even Georgia serious, none of them really are.

Sure Alabama will take a step back when the man steps down but if someone doesn’t think we are not going to fair well in a NIL age then that person just don’t know how serious Alabama actually is in terms of football. Alabama will be okay. What Alabama has done under Saban in the pre NIL era should have never happened even in the system it was in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bama75&80

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.