New DIY thread...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Looks like the old one, started by Bazza I think, died. With the near-zero weather coming, I was faced with a woodstove which was missing the first joint. Long story short, we'd given away our old woodstove and moved a much less-used one from one end of the house to the living room. I threw away the rusted first joint and bought a telescoping joint, which promised easy installation. Hah! I just had to crimp the bottom, where it fits into the stove. Crimpers are easy to use, right? Dozens of Youtubes out there, showing guys crimping ductwork, etc., and I had one. Well, stovepipes are at least 4x thicker. The pix show the story...20240114_080419.jpg

Attachments

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Looks like the old one, started by Bazza I think, died. With the near-zero weather coming, I was faced with a woodstove which was missing the first joint. Long story short, we'd given away our old woodstove and moved a much less-used one from one end of the house to the living room. I threw away the rusted first joint and bought a telescoping joint, which promised easy installation. Hah! I just had to crimp the bottom, where it fits into the stove. Crimpers are easy to use, right? Dozens of Youtubes out there, showing guys crimping ductwork, etc., and I had one. Well, stovepipes are at least 4x thicker. The pix show the story...View attachment 40075
Nice work, Earle! ;)

Just went through something similar, but with my gas furnace. After replacing the Trane XE80 furnace draft inducer exhaust vent motor, I also needed to replace the first duct joint. Motor was available from Amazon:

J238-138-1344 - ClimaTek Furnace Draft Inducer Exhaust Vent Venter Motor Fits American Standard

Picked up a new joint from the local HD:

DuctJoint.JPG

It's one of those "swivel" connectors and was still a PITA to get in right! :rolleyes: I bought some aluminum tape to help with sealing.

System has been working well so nice to get it done as a DIY.......

FYI: my old DIY thread appears to still be alive too....just needed some dusting off :) :

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nice work, Earle! ;)

Just went through something similar, but with my gas furnace. After replacing the Trane XE80 furnace draft inducer exhaust vent motor, I also needed to replace the first duct joint. Motor was available from Amazon:

J238-138-1344 - ClimaTek Furnace Draft Inducer Exhaust Vent Venter Motor Fits American Standard

Picked up a new joint from the local HD:

View attachment 40086

It's one of those "swivel" connectors and was still a PITA to get in right! :rolleyes: I bought some aluminum tape to help with sealing.

System has been working well so nice to get it done as a DIY.......

FYI: my old DIY thread appears to still be alive too....just needed some dusting off :) :

Sorry, didn't look back far enough. Revive it and we can put this one to bed. I'll try to remember to bump it occasionally...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Nice flux capacitor. You got her up to 88mph yet?
Heh. My son's in the midst of building the new LEGO BttF DeLorean. The flux capacitor lights up.

My wife said "You justHAD to bling it out, didn't you?" She still doesn't realize that this build is a model of restraint compared to some of the rigs out there.

But I gotta admit, I love the crimson-white fade on the memory.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads