Game Thread: NFL Divisional Playoffs: All Posts up to Championship Games...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What's funny is this whole NFL overtime rules discussion is almost exactly the same discussion as "what's the fairest way to determine a college football national champion?"
Im still trying to figure out what a comparable discussion to “how should the MLB fix extra innings and double header rules in 2020”. Because it came out of hell and nowhere and has been one of the dumbest change to a sports league ever.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Im still trying to figure out what a comparable discussion to “how should the MLB fix extra innings and double header rules in 2020”. Because it came out of hell and nowhere and has been one of the dumbest change to a sports league ever.
Yes, they finally found something worse than the DH.
And baseball wild cards making pennant races meaningless.

Leave it to baseball to royally screw it up.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why not just do like soccer and have a field goal kicking contest starting at the 35-yard line?

I mean, it would be about as fair.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes, they finally found something worse than the DH.
And baseball wild cards making pennant races meaningless.

Leave it to baseball to royally screw it up.
if there was 1 out automatically in every inning with an universal DH then it becomes a little more tolerable. But in the national league you see bullpens and benches fully being used because of it and the other pace of play rules.

Manfred is probably worse at his job than Goodell

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I hate the college overtime rules because it eliminates so many elements from the game. Especially now when it becomes 2 point conversions after 2 overtimes. It so stupid.

I like the NFL OT because you have to continue to play your whole game plan, including kick-offs, punts, etc. All the NFL has to do to fix it is remove the sudden death aspect. Always allow the team that gets the ball second a shot at matching or beating the score of the first team. It's like it becomes baseball innings, the team that gets the opening OT kick is the top of the inning and the other is the bottom. At the end of the 15 minutes, if it is still tied, then go to sudden death. Just make this change for playoff games, at the very least.

Never go to the college rules. That was high school crap because he NCAA was too lazy to think of something better.

Reactions: PaulD

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I hate the NFL OT rules. Last night, the two offenses were unstoppable by the end of the game. You had to know that as soon KC won the coin toss that they were going to win. Buffalo never had a chance as soon as OT began. KC essentially won because they won a coin toss. That's just lame.

We can start with the NCAA OT rules and make changes and wind up with something much better than the NFL OT. Perhaps take away field goals and extra points, maybe even push the starting point back from the 25 yard line. But definitely make sure that both teams get a shot at the ball in OT. Watching the Bills lose that game in OT without their offense ever touching the field was a terrible way to end that game.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Okay, let's say that's the rule.

That means the team that DOES score first will always go for 2 anyway since the second team has to go for it.
They have nothing to do lose. If they miss and hold, they win by six. If the other team scores, the best they can do is tie the game with the two.

And we play on. (Unless the rule is going to be "team that scores first can only kick the point").
That would just give another advantage to deferring.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If the team with the ball scores a touchdown on the opening possession, the other team gets the ball at their own 30 and continues play until scoring a touchdown, or the defense makes a stop.

This would keep a team from losing without having a chance to respond, while also making that team earn the touchdown. Then the first team has to gamble going for two or taking the extra point try.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If the team with the ball scores a touchdown on the opening possession, the other team gets the ball at their own 30 and continues play until scoring a touchdown, or the defense makes a stop.

This would keep a team from losing without having a chance to respond, while also making that team earn the touchdown. Then the first team has to gamble going for two or taking the extra point try.
Watching last night’s game… the coin flip would still go a long way in deciding the winner. Neither defense was stopping the opposing offense.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Watching last night’s game… the coin flip would still go a long way in deciding the winner. Neither defense was stopping the opposing offense.
I think the NFL's mindset toward OT is very different from the fans (SHOCKING I KNOW!) and if I'm not mistaken the structure of OT is decided by the competition committee which is made up of team owners, team managers, and NFL coaches. So as bad as we think the OT rules are, representatives of teams are the ones who decide the rules of OT in which they play under.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think the NFL's mindset toward OT is very different from the fans (SHOCKING I KNOW!) and if I'm not mistaken the structure of OT is decided by the competition committee which is made up of team owners, team managers, and NFL coaches. So as bad as we think the OT rules are, representatives of teams are the ones who decide the rules of OT in which they play under.
Makes me wonder what the Bills players think. Forget media and fans. Did the players think it was "fair"

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.