NL East Showdown: NY Mets@Atlanta Braves For All The Marbles

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Chip Caray started drinking early today.

Jansen in the Hall of Fame?

Was that a joke?

Sure, he’s saved as many games as Eck.

Eck also threw 100 complete games, 20 shutouts, pitched in 300 more games, had over 1300 more strikeouts, faced 10,000 more batters, and won nearly 200 games as a starter.

I mean, get real, Chip.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
7th all time.

1 - Bonds 73
2 - McGwire 70
3 - Sosa 66
4 - McGwire 65
5 - Sosa 64
6 - Sosa 63
7 - Judge 62

Shame one some of you for all the doubting yesterday and today. Me, on the other hand, never showed any signs of doubt.

6th, 7th….nowhere close to first.

But I guess he now qualifies for the college football expanded playoff.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think this whole Judge thing is a conglomeration of things.

1) "62" is still the "record breaking number" for both the Baby Boom and Gen X generations in the sense it's what we grew up knowing a guy had to get. I get the whole cheating thing but part of this is nostalgia just to be blunt about it.

2) He seems to have a good personality as opposed to, well, Barry Bonds. Bonds never seemed to get that one of the things that "made" the summer of 98 was the fact that Big Mac and Sammy had quite charismatic personalities, Sosa more so than Mac. They made it fun and kept it loose in a country that every night on the news was finding out new details about the President and his infatuation with a chubby intern. It was a great distraction; Bonds's pursuit was limited both by his personality as well as the 9/11 tragedy with four weeks left in the season.

3) There's that narcissistic obsession people have with wanting to "sit in on history" (we see this with those morons and their "HATH" hash tags feeding their egos up on Capitol Hill). You sometimes don't grasp the historic import of something until later.

4) He's a Yankee and therefore we are supposed to care or something.

I stopped worshipping athletes a long time ago. Not sure if it was when Chipper fathered the kid out of wedlock or Len Bias overdosed or somewhere in between.

Congrats to Judge, though, on an AL record. It IS an accomplishment.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This was an awesome ending to the regular season. Shame it was the only division race in MLB.
Even bigger shame (in a sense) that it only cost the Mets some extra games and not the playoffs.

I'm old enough to remember pennant races, and there was nothing like them.

Whatever happens in my life, I had 1991. You CANNOT know what it was like if you weren't there, but it was one of the most beautiful experiences in sport I ever had. That rush of coming home and your heart racing because you cannot wait for the ballgame to start, your worry that every single pitch might end your season, or you miss the game and have to come home and wait for your local sports idiot to tease you until 20 after the hour when the sports report began.

It ended sadly for the Braves, but it was the greatest sports experience I ever experienced, too.

We have lost that and will never have it again.

The closest thing since then was that span in November 2011 when Alabama needed everybody else to lose while we won, and that was 1/100th the rush.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In 1996, Brady Anderson hit 50 homers. I tuned out after that.
Except that one-year spike for any player is NOT as rare as people like to pretend.

What is it people like to say - "Brady Anderson hit 50 home runs in 1996 after never hitting more than 21 and then never hit higher than 24 the rest of his career"? Somehow this is PROOF the guy was on steroids.

Okay, let's play that game:

In 1960-61, Roger Maris hit 100 home runs across two seasons after never hitting more than 28.
So obviously, Maris was on steroids, right?

Maris hit 39, 61, and 33 home runs in three seasons, which accounts for NEARLY HALF of his career total (133 of 275 homers in 3 seasons).

Why does nobody bring this up for Maris, huh? That his performance was quite out of the ordinary in 1961. Anderson hit 29 more home runs than he'd hit before and 26 more than his second highest total. Maris hit 22 more home runs than he'd hit prior and 28 more than his second highest total.

Or what about Cecil Fielder? Was lousy, went to the lower quality pitching in Japan and came back and slammed 51 and 44 homers - and never topped 35 otherwise. Went from a career high of 14 to 51 (to be fair, it was in half the season's games - but doubling it to 28 doesn't exactly do much for him).

Or what about George Foster in 1977? Finally a regular, he hits 23 and 29 home runs - and suddenly booms 52 out of the yard and then 40 the next...and never hit more than 30 otherwise.

Setting aside home runs, what about Phil Rizzuto in 1950? Rizzuto had a lifetime BA of .273.He hit .307 in his rookie year in 1941, dropped to about his career average (missing 3 seasons due to WW2)....and suddenly in 1950 AT THIRTY-TWO YEARS OLD hits .324 and wins the MVP.

What substance was Rizzuto taking that caused him to hit FIFTY-ONE POINTS ABOVE his lifetime batting average?

Furthermore, Brady Anderson's head didn't get big like Bonds or anything else, and his name never came up as anything other than suspicion.

Look, I don't know that Anderson did or didn't juice; I know he played against guys who did because they've admitted it or been caught. But let's look at Anderson like this - and maybe we can explain his 50-homer season.

1) He's a part-time player his first three seasons in the league.
2) He becomes a starter on a team that only won 67 games and plays in the pitcher's paradise of Memorial Stadium in 1991. He hits two homers.
3) In 1992, the Orioles move to Camden Yards and his homer total jumps to 21.
4) He hits 25 homers over the next two seasons and then...
5) ROBERTO ALOMAR SIGNS WITH THE ORIOLES AND HITS BEHIND BRADY ANDERSON in 1996.

You think that might have something to do with it? And who is behind Alomar? Rafael Palmeiro.

Hmmm.....do I take my chances with Anderson, Alomar, or Palmeiro in 1996........

Wanna know who else hit a career high in HRs (up to that point) in 1996? ROBERTO ALOMAR!!! His high had been 17, and you remove him from SkyDome and put him in Camden hitting ahead of Palmeiro and guess what happened? In only one other season did Alomar top 20 home runs - his first year at Jacobs Field in1999.

Again....is it POSSIBLE Anderson used roids? Yeah.

But is there EVIDENCE of any kind? No, just the kind of far out year that we've had from a guy from time to time.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This is the kind of lineup I was hoping to see today!!!

fhqdu3ha61s91.png

Dansby and Olson will have started all 162 games and then they'll get pulled in an inning or 2.

Hopefully Grissom will come in at SS.... not idea who will play 1st??

Reactions: B1GTide

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Does anybody actually care about the game today?
I kinda care enough that I hope we win with the Reserves just to guarantee a better record than the Mets but I'm not super bothered about it.

Today is the 1st day in MONTHS that it absolutely doesn't matter WHAT the Mets do and I don't have to check their scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.