OC and DC replacement discussion

It is actually the opposite. The DC needs to be on the field because he needs to be able to communicate with his players very quickly. All of the talking to the QB is done between series.

I am a HS OC and have called games from the booth and the field. I 100% prefer the booth. I am still able to communicate with the players that I need to communicate with in between every series of the game. I talk to the offense after every series of the game. I also have no issue with any coach that wants to call the game from the sidelines. I think it is about what is more comfortable for the play caller and/or what the team needs at the time.
Interesting perspective! My instinct that the DC belongs in the box comes mostly from watching the game on TV and the fact that it seems like at least 2-3 times a game, the defensive team calls a timeout because they can tell from the skybox that there's a trick play on. But I guess it doesn't have to be the DC in the box; just someone who can relay that info quickly.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It is actually the opposite. The DC needs to be on the field because he needs to be able to communicate with his players very quickly. All of the talking to the QB is done between series.

I am a HS OC and have called games from the booth and the field. I 100% prefer the booth. I am still able to communicate with the players that I need to communicate with in between every series of the game. I talk to the offense after every series of the game. I also have no issue with any coach that wants to call the game from the sidelines. I think it is about what is more comfortable for the play caller and/or what the team needs at the time.
great insight - In your opinion how does the booth v field presence impact the speed of getting the play call to the QB to get the team lined up and ready to execute? That was one of the most frustrating things with the O over the last couple of years where it seemed like the relay from the booth to the field to the QB took forever and we very often had the playclock down below 10 and sometimes 5 before being ready to execute.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Perhaps CTG was advised he wasn't even on the short "emergency list" and decided to press on. Happy for him and happy for us! On with the hunt!!
That is just the thing. My thought was that Pruitt was always our target and Grantham was the backup in case things fell through. If my theory was true, and who knows, then that would mean any doubt about our new DC is out the door. Whether that is Jeremy or Leonhard or whoever I couldn't tell you but the guy should already be in place just unannounced at present. That said, I'm probly wrong.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
great insight - In your opinion how does the booth v field presence impact the speed of getting the play call to the QB to get the team lined up and ready to execute? That was one of the most frustrating things with the O over the last couple of years where it seemed like the relay from the booth to the field to the QB took forever and we very often had the playclock down below 10 and sometimes 5 before being ready to execute.
The majority of our clock issues this season were from Bryce having to change the protection up front so often. To me that was a schematic issue. We ran an NFL pass protection scheme, which requires a change any time there is slight movement from the DL or the LB's. If there are other communication issues, that falls specifically on the staff and it isn't just from being in the booth. That is BoB's fault for waiting too late to communicate.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I spoke to a friend of mine who is as big of a Notre Dame fan as most Bama fans are fanatic about Bama and here's his take on Tommy Rees:

* He WILL BE a head coach one day

* Very smart and well spoken

* Runs both pro set NFL type of stuff and RPO, tempo as well. But it really depends on the strength of the personnel he's working with, they have had some REALLY good TEs over the last several years so the playcalling leaned more toward making sure they were involved. They haven't had the talent at the QB they would like so that impacted the offense a lot.
The statements about their quarterbacks is of the “under” variety. And as you mentioned, other than tight end, their best players were linemen and a few defenders.
Granted their schedule wasn’t much, but no one really knows how good Rees can be; BK probably has more insight than anyone and he tried to get him to come to LSU. By default he ranks higher than any other names I’ve heard mentioned as possibilities IMO (and I only know of Dooley).

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My gut tells me Leonhard still might be in picture. It just seems odd that things are so quiet around him when there seems to be a lot of movement in both college and the NFL. I know he has some weird clauses in his Wisconsin contract but you would still think there would be more conversation about his options.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The statements about their quarterbacks is of the “under” variety. And as you mentioned, other than tight end, their best players were linemen and a few defenders.
Granted their schedule wasn’t much, but no one really knows how good Rees can be; BK probably has more insight than anyone and he tried to get him to come to LSU. By default he ranks higher than any other names I’ve heard mentioned as possibilities IMO (and I only know of Dooley).
From what I've gathered, Kelly REALLY wanted Rees to come with him to LSU. But, I'm not sure Rees was going to leave his alma mater for LSU and WITH Brian Kelly. It seemed Kelly really thought highly of Rees but from things I read there may have been some philosophical differences between Rees and Kelly, with Rees wanting to be more aggressive and dynamic with the design of passing routes, with Kelly leaning more conservative.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
My gut tells me Leonhard still might be in picture. It just seems odd that things are so quiet around him when there seems to be a lot of movement in both college and the NFL. I know he has some weird clauses in his Wisconsin contract but you would still think there would be more conversation about his options.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part.
I also noticed the deafening silence around Leonhard, and am wishing right with you.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I heard the same thing - also heard some powers at the Barn were fighting the Freeze hire.
Also heard Saban said JP wasn’t an option - supposedly said at some dinner in Mobile when he was attending and speaking at the AFCA (in Montgomery? Birmingham?)
No idea on the veracity of any of it; we know what happened with Freeze.
So as I posted a while back - we’ll know when he tellls us/hires someone.
Question; when was the last time Saban hired a coordinator (either OC or DC) directly from another schools’ coaching staff? Said person’s position at that school prior to hire irrelevant.
Golding in 2018 from UTSA.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.