OC and DC replacement discussion

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I am afraid he will as well...............still too stubborn to see the problem with Golding
I doubt he's that naive, I think early on he had some sort of a dream that Golding would be his next Kirby Smart... and if that was the case he'd also be a perfect successor.

Instead what he got is someone with a drinking problem who turns out to be one of the worst defensive coordinators to ever run his scheme. But, no one wants to hire him away and he's a good recruiter. So I think Saban thought that continuity and recruiting are good enough.

And... that is kind of true. Alabama won a championship with Golding (and one of the best offenses ever in college football). They almost won last year with Golding. So to me it isn't that he doesn't see the problem, he's just willing to accept it. I would say the same goes for a lot of posters here, some of whom still dare not speak ill of Golding despite the glaring issues.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I doubt he's that naive, I think early on he had some sort of a dream that Golding would be his next Kirby Smart... and if that was the case he'd also be a perfect successor.

Instead what he got is someone with a drinking problem who turns out to be one of the worst defensive coordinators to ever run his scheme. But, no one wants to hire him away and he's a good recruiter. So I think Saban thought that continuity and recruiting are good enough.

And... that is kind of true. Alabama won a championship with Golding (and one of the best offenses ever in college football). They almost won last year with Golding. So to me it isn't that he doesn't see the problem, he's just willing to accept it. I would say the same goes for a lot of posters here, some of whom still dare not speak ill of Golding despite the glaring issues.
Could potentially flourish with him on staff, but the lack of development and teachers from the supporting cast of assistants makes that almost impossible.

Pete is just at the top of the food chain and someone must be held accountable for the poor fundamentals, lack of pressure, and inability to communicate and execute coverages.

Reactions: dathbama

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
This is correct, G*ld*ng isn't going anywhere and isn't getting "demoted". My guess is, he is Saban's DC until he retires. If he hasn't fired him by now, he's sold on keeping him for the duration.
But why?!/! For the love of God.........why? Is there someone with any insight on this message board that can explain to me and the rest of the Bama Nation the reason Saban keeps this underachieving dolt on the staff. He suuuuucccckkkkkssss so bad. He can recruit. But I could recruit if I had DC for Alabama beside my name while Saban was head coach.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
BoB actually showed he could call a decent game against the Barn, but was that due to him trying to get a “hey look at me as a playcaller” look from other schools or the light just clicked on?

Golding on the other hand, might be a decent coach but his inability to make adjustments is a killer.

It’s pick your poison with both, there is no right answer because either way, we lose keeping one and booting the other
If he has been able to do that for one game, why the heck could he not for the previous 26 games????????????

Foleybammer

Scout Team
Dec 3, 2019
Rewatched and paused the Auburn game. Don't understand the defensive fronts we
were in. We continually had ho one over the TE or Tight slot allowing us to get out flanked
by a run team. Almost like pulling calls out of a hat. We often get pulled out of position
due to over adjusting to motion plus this defense is very complicated. The best thing
CNS could do is hire a quality DC and let him bring in his own system. At this time this program could uses one change to shake everyone up. Things seem stagnant.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Let me add this though in regards to Golding and the Alabama defense, or lack thereof. I predict at least one maybe more defensive assistants will be let go. Not sure which ones but the DL and secondary woefully underperformed this year so those position coaches could be in trouble. If Golding remains then somebody has to take the fall for the defense's poor performance.
Bo Davis should be brought back for the d line for sure.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
Bo Davis should be brought back for the d line for sure.
Bo Davis was let go due to recruiting trangressions if i remember correctly. AS long as that was the only issue (and not character flaws/red flags like Freeze the sleaze in cow town), then by all means give the guy a call. Recruiting issues from the past simply don't matter anymore in the least.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Bo Davis was let go due to recruiting trangressions if i remember correctly. AS long as that was the only issue (and not character flaws/red flags like Freeze the sleaze in cow town), then by all means give the guy a call. Recruiting issues from the past simply don't matter anymore in the least.
He supposedly lied to Saban which ticked him off.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Rewatched and paused the Auburn game. Don't understand the defensive fronts we
were in. We continually had ho one over the TE or Tight slot allowing us to get out flanked
by a run team. Almost like pulling calls out of a hat. We often get pulled out of position
due to over adjusting to motion plus this defense is very complicated. The best thing
CNS could do is hire a quality DC and let him bring in his own system. At this time this program could uses one change to shake everyone up. Things seem stagnant.
As I've said many times, I'm not very knowledgable about defensive schemes, but even with my understanding of what Auburn was doing there was one simple thing we should have done the whole game and it would have eliminated probably half or more of Auburn's rushing total:

For the life of me why we didn't use a QB spy on Robbie the whole game is beyond me. It's the one play that consistently got them yardage. It's what created their first TD and if we hold them a couple of series we probably could have shut them out, but WE MADE them believe they could move the ball on us with their pee wee style offense.

CNS alluded to them running plays he hasn't seen since his pop warner days??? And yet, CNS and PG couldn't adjust to stop it???

There is no explaining this problem.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

First I have heard of that... :unsure:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
One thing that really confuses me concerning our defense is this: CNS is standing right there next to golding on the sidelines. As we've seen in the past, assistants would be getting ripped if he had issues with calls. You don't see that currently with our defensive personnel.

Foleybammer

Scout Team
Dec 3, 2019
Rewatching Auburn again. One problem we have is we recruit outside linbacker types
like Turner and Anderson. They are great when we are in our 3-4 defense cause
matched up more vs TE's. We have been running a lot of 4-2-5 where they are undersized
at DE and then we roll down a smallish DB over the TE. Play one defense or the other
and recruit those types of players. Some of the alignments up front make no sense.
Continually outnumbered on the edges.

Last edited:
Reactions: UAH

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Me too. Not that it is not a thing in the industry, but...
One of our more in the know posters also alluded to it being an actual problem, not a one time thing. He's also not someone I've seen generally be critical of Golding, so not like he seemed to just be throwing stones.

But basically you don't get a DUI without having some sort of a problem.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
As I've said many times, I'm not very knowledgable about defensive schemes, but even with my understanding of what Auburn was doing there was one simple thing we should have done the whole game and it would have eliminated probably half or more of Auburn's rushing total:

For the life of me why we didn't use a QB spy on Robbie the whole game is beyond me. It's the one play that consistently got them yardage. It's what created their first TD and if we hold them a couple of series we probably could have shut them out, but WE MADE them believe they could move the ball on us with their pee wee style offense.

CNS alluded to them running plays he hasn't seen since his pop warner days??? And yet, CNS and PG couldn't adjust to stop it???

There is no explaining this problem.
Nor did we use a spy in the LSU game with Daniels.
I know in the past CNS had stated he “didn’t like using a spy on the QB because it pulled a player out of the scheme”.
His point was “if we execute our defensive
reads/assignments correctly, the QB doesn’t break contain”. Problem is that we rarely execute correctly and the quarterback does break contain.

It is absolutely maddening

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.