Game Thread: Ohio St @ Notre Dame (NBC @ 630p CT)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Is Gol^ing's brother ND defensive coordinator?
Well the Notre Dame DC is Al GOLDen… so maybe Al and Pete are HALF brothers?
Golden is the former head coach at Temple and Miami. Fowler and Herbie spent a good portion of the night touting his defensive prowess and how much he had learned with his recent coaching stops in the NFL.

Maybe….but I guess they didn’t cover “how to count to eleven”?

One play maybe. But two consecutive plays with the game on the line is ridiculous.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Golden is the former head coach at Temple and Miami. Fowler and Herbie spent a good portion of the night touting his defensive prowess and how much he had learned with his recent coaching stops in the NFL.

One play maybe. But two consecutive plays with the game on the line is ridiculous.
Al’s older but he’s also known as “the half-step behind half-brother.” Otherwise he would’ve had ND’s *efense in a 1-4-5 alignment on the last two shorthan*e* plays—

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I saw ND’s HC explanation. They knew they only had 10. They were out of timeouts and didn’t want to give them the half yard line with a penalty so they stood pat with only 10.

I would have committed the penalty. Ohio State basically ran right through where the 11th man would have been anyway.

Reactions: CB4

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
I saw ND’s HC explanation. They knew they only had 10. They were out of timeouts and didn’t want to give them the half yard line with a penalty so they stood pat with only 10.

I would have committed the penalty. Ohio State basically ran right through where the 11th man would have been anyway.
ND should have pulled one of Barney’s tricks and had one of their players to fall down and play hurt when they realized they only had 10 players on the field with no timeouts left.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Amen. If you are that close, what is another half yard compared to playing a man short?
That, to me, if like committing DPI if your reeciever is raciing past you and will score a TD. Tackle him, and give up the 15, but not the TD.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Didn't have to do that or fake an injury or any Catholic chicanery once tOSU substituted on offense on the play prior to the touchdown. The rules, you know, for holding up play for the opponent to substitute too.

jjv0004

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I think this game proves just how good CJ Stroud was at Ohio State because with all the talent Ohio State has on offense, they should boat race Notre Dame. Harrison is a once every 10 years prospect at wideout and Egbuka is a 1st rounder, Fleming is a 5 star and they have dudes like Carnell Tate and Brandon Innis on the bench. And they have some great stud running backs. So much talent on offense.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I think this game proves just how good CJ Stroud was at Ohio State because with all the talent Ohio State has on offense, they should boat race Notre Dame. Harrison is a once every 10 years prospect at wideout and Egbuka is a 1st rounder, Fleming is a 5 star and they have dudes like Carnell Tate and Brandon Innis on the bench. And they have some great stud running backs. So much talent on offense.
We have something in common with Ohio St as we are also learning that all the talent in the world means nothing if you don't have a good QB.

Reactions: Con

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Didn't have to do that or fake an injury or any Catholic chicanery once tOSU substituted on offense on the play prior to the touchdown. The rules, you know, for holding up play for the opponent to substitute too.
Did Ohio State indeed substitute? Everyone is acting as though they didn’t. If that is the case, then Marcus Freeman can’t logically rationalize the decision to “stand pat” with 10 players.
Truthfully I’m somewhat skeptical. Okay coach, when did you notice you were only at 10 players? During the second play? Just after it or after tOSU was already at the LOS to run the eventual winning run on third down?. It seems to me the only way that scenario is correct is that NO ONE noticed it on second down and it wasn’t caught until tOSU was lined up to run a play on third down. The second down play was an incomplete pass towards the sideline in the end zone. Ball has to be brought back and spotted. Plenty of time to get that 11th player unless you didn’t notice it until too late.

Late Edit: Never mind. Freeman admits they missed it on second down and that NO ONE on his staff noticed until “it was too late”.

That just isn’t a gaffe. It is a huge blunder.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Freeman responds to only having 10 men on the field.
I missed the second half of the story where he “explained” it. I only read about having a “signal” for situations going forward.

That just isn’t bad. it is embarrassing.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads