position coaches — Who’s done well? Who hasn’t? (No Teasers!)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd never say SC didn't matter, but it became quite comical for the cameras to be focused on him on the sideline to watch his antics. It was like he'd just drunk 10 jolts right before the game.

I say comical because you can do that kinda stuff to fire people up but it only last so long before the real preparation OR lack thereof kicks in.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Remember, correlation does not equal causation - while it's true the more modern training methods avoid injury, it's false that the players are somehow weaker. And if you've seen any video of the players training, you'll see / recall they're still doing power lifts. It's just not all about power anymore, which was the problem with Cochran's program.

OL attitude is more about what's happening between the ears (attitude) than training regimen.

I suspect if people see a more aggressive OL this year they'll start to understand that the OL issues of the last couple of years had more to do with the coaching than physical attributes.
I agree with attitude being crucial and I hope you are correct on the training part.:)

Reactions: crimsonaudio

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I posted similar thoughts during the seaon and got roasted for them. I think at minimum the toughness mental attitude that was our hallmark -- make their ... quit, as Coach said -- came from Cochran more than anything and we're dfinitely missing that now.

I also think that what Saban has created, the opportunities an assistant has at Bama, and the draw of working for Saban are NOT what they used to be. Young up & comers are seeing that you can work somewhere else lets you see your family, still get paid, and still have an opportunity to move up. Post-COVID, people have re-evaluated what they want from life and the grind isn't as appealing anymore.
You do realize our OC left the school he played QB for to assume the same duties at Bama?

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
You do realize our OC left the school he played QB for to assume the same duties at Bama?
I'm literate, yes. I really hope Rees is the answer and it seems like he did a good job at ND. But, how many better OCs turned us down? We'll never know, but I doubt he was the first choice. How many coaches have left because of the grind? We may never know for sure, but it sure seems like the Bama staff turnover is more than most.

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
I'm literate, yes. I really hope Rees is the answer and it seems like he did a good job at ND. But, how many better OCs turned us down? We'll never know, but I doubt he was the first choice. How many coaches have left because of the grind? We may never know for sure, but it sure seems like the Bama staff turnover is more than most.
Most of that turnover is for a promotion. Coordinators becoming head coaches and position coaches becoming coordinators. There are some lateral moves but most are promotions or the guy is told to find other employment.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I think Reese is actually going to turn into one of the better Hires Nick Saban's made. Watching some of Notre Dame games he knows how to get guys open and utilize his tight ends and backs in the passing game effectively. I know Bryan Kelly wanted him to go to LSU when he left notre dame. I see lazy takes about the guy based of some score in a game notre dame lost without actually watching the game.

Last edited:

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
I think reese is actually going to turn into one of the better Hires nicks Saban's made. Watching some of Notre Dame games he knows how to get guys open and utilize his tight ends and backs in the passing game effectively. I know Bryan Kelly wanted him to go to LSU when he left notre dame. I see lazy takes about the guy based of some score in a game notre dame lost without actually watching the game.
I'm really hopeful about this hire. I think he has a ton of upside. I like his emphasis on toughness and physical play. He's young enough to relate well to the players, and from some games I watched he schemed guys open pretty well just didn't always have the players to execute things at a really high level.

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
Surprised nobody has mentioned Wiggins. Outside the obvious this is the one that puzzles me. If I’m not mistaken he didn’t recruit the ride outs and every year we seem to get worse at wr. It’s been a couple of years since anyone tried to poach him as well. Makes you wonder…

Last edited:

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I’m hoping the two new coordinators will bring out the best in the position coaches. I can see how Steele could benefit Roach. And if we use TEs more Cox has an opportunity to shine. Everyone is worried about QB. I think if Wolfe raises the OL play to another level we will be really good. We all know it starts there on offense. A lot of questions but the pieces are there.

Coach D

Scout Team
Apr 27, 2023
I question Wiggins the most. He has supposedly had talent and fantastic QB play but the results are rather bad to this point. Without being there in practice hard to say but results are not great. I would say he is weaker fit on field coaching but great recruiter to this point.
I have questioned Roach but our scheme has been terrible so it’s hard to tell. Talent has not been great but could be lack of development as well. Dale being put in so much and no development makes me wonder. We have some high stars recruiting wise that haven’t shown up and hand placement has not been spot on. But again we have had one of the worst schemes for dline guys which is also why we have missed out on a few big time dline recruits the last 4-5 years.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I question Wiggins the most. He has supposedly had talent and fantastic QB play but the results are rather bad to this point. Without being there in practice hard to say but results are not great. I would say he is weaker fit on field coaching but great recruiter to this point.
I have questioned Roach but our scheme has been terrible so it’s hard to tell. Talent has not been great but could be lack of development as well. Dale being put in so much and no development makes me wonder. We have some high stars recruiting wise that haven’t shown up and hand placement has not been spot on. But again we have had one of the worst schemes for dline guys which is also why we have missed out on a few big time dline recruits the last 4-5 years.
Thanks Coach D. A troubling post though. You would just expect better at Alabama. Let’s down a cold one ( not to early… just hot outside ) and hope for better results.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I was reading through this thread wondering when Roach's name would come up. He has a strong reputation as a recruiter, but I've heard quite a bit of criticism of his actual coaching. Don't know if it's him, Golding, the scheme, or bad evaluations that have led to a drop-off in DL play the last few years.

I'm curious to see if ILB improves this year with Bala coming and Golding going. For every good HTT play, there were at least 3 where he'd run himself out of a play or straight into 2 O linemen.

• Thank You
Reactions: Tidelines and UAH

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Its one of those things that I think whoever takes over for Saban is really going to have to look at on the D-line and how are overall scheme works. From my layman's perspective, recruits want to be the guys who makes the sack Today. The days of D-lineman being content just pushing the Offensive line so the edge guys and linebackers can get sack are kind of over. Then again, I could be talking nonsense. I am not a huge x's and o's guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexanderFan

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Its one of those things that I think whoever takes over for Saban is really going to have to look at on the D-line and how are overall scheme works. From my layman's perspective, recruits want to be the guys who makes the sack Today. The days of D-lineman being content just pushing the Offensive line so the edge guys and linebackers can get sack are kind of over. Then again, I could be talking nonsense. I am not a huge x's and o's guy.
You’re right. The 3-4 down lineman is typically a block eater, especially the middle. The idea is those 3 occupy 4-5 linemen, and the Jack or extra rusher has a free path to the quarterback for pressure.

You’re right though. Linemen today want the sack because sacks get you highlight film and paid. Paid a lot more than space eaters.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
You’re right. The 3-4 down lineman is typically a block eater, especially the middle. The idea is those 3 occupy 4-5 linemen, and the Jack or extra rusher has a free path to the quarterback for pressure.

You’re right though. Linemen today want the sack because sacks get you highlight film and paid. Paid a lot more than space eaters.
I said for like 2-3 years now we need to simplify the defensive scheme. Oh, would you look at that, One Kevin Steele hire later insiders and On3 analyst are telling us that there is a lot of confidence coming out of camp because of a "simplified Defense". (Still got to go out and do it in game before anyone can call it success) Look don't get me wrong; this isn't a pat myself on the back or a "i know more than the coaches" Kind of statement. I could never do what they do in a million years. But I have to wonder sometimes if these coaches are trying to play chess when checkers is sufficient to win. If elite D-lineman recruits want to be the guy making the sack just build a scheme where they can do that.

Reactions: dathbama

Joefus

1st Team
Jan 3, 2021
We run a modified 4-2-5 most of the time anyways (which I like) I just absolutely despise the cheetah package. All those goofy blitzes that never worked stunk of Grantham imo. I’m ok with space eaters occupying the interior. Justin, Jaheim, and Tim having good years would make our d elite again. We just need one of them to have a Christian Barmore type year.

I give roach a little more credit bc the second half of the 2021 season our d line did improve and kind of seemed to instill a toughness in the rest of the d. This last season the whole d looked like they were in a fog. I’m pretty sure that’s a Golding problem. Don’t know how to feel about Steele yet as he got cooked all year at Miami. But they’re terrible so who’s to say.

Coach D

Scout Team
Apr 27, 2023
We run a modified 4-2-5 most of the time anyways (which I like) I just absolutely despise the cheetah package. All those goofy blitzes that never worked stunk of Grantham imo. I’m ok with space eaters occupying the interior. Justin, Jaheim, and Tim having good years would make our d elite again. We just need one of them to have a Christian Barmore type year.

I give roach a little more credit bc the second half of the 2021 season our d line did improve and kind of seemed to instill a toughness in the rest of the d. This last season the whole d looked like they were in a fog. I’m pretty sure that’s a Golding problem. Don’t know how to feel about Steele yet as he got cooked all year at Miami. But they’re terrible so who’s to say.
Unless you are talking about 2 dline men and two lb(Anderson and turner) with their hands in the dirt Bama did not run a 4-2-5. I wish they would use 4 linemen for most games or even no less than 3 but last year coaches were very bad at using linemen. Hell they even only had two linemen in goal line situations at times.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.