Power 5 vote to allow paying players

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
There are some exceptions, but many players don’t have regular class as we remember it. Lots of online and correspondence courses.
The premier programs largely have their own dorms, their own dining facilities, their own study halls etc.

They’re barely part of the regular student body as it is now.

Reactions: Con

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
There are some exceptions, but many players don’t have regular class as we remember it. Lots of online and correspondence courses.
Well, I`m sure that`s true. Hell`s bells, part of the college experience was rolling out on cold winter mornings and trudging across campus from Paty Hall to a morning class. Then again, most of these guys are not there for the " college experience ".

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Here’s the thing. Minor league sports have never been an attractive money making model.

At some point people will lose interest and move on. When it finally gets positioned as NFL Lite or NFL DLeague, it will die. It will exist because the NFL will need some type of feeder system and testing ground. But fans will leave. And it will die.

No Bama Fan will want to watch an 18 year old HS Grad compete with a 30 year old journeyman for a chance to play at Alabama with the hopes of an NFL call up to be backup at the Falcons.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
Here’s the thing. Minor league sports have never been an attractive money making model.

At some point people will lose interest and move on. When it finally gets positioned as NFL Lite or NFL DLeague, it will die. It will exist because the NFL will need some type of feeder system and testing ground. But fans will leave. And it will die.

No Bama Fan will want to watch an 18 year old HS Grad compete with a 30 year old journeyman for a chance to play at Alabama with the hopes of an NFL call up to be backup at the Falcons.
You won't be able to pack 100K people into BDS paying what you have to pay now to see a Bama game when it turns minor league NFL like.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX

The UFL will like this. They would lift the ban on college aged players and become defacto minor league for NFL

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The UFL does not pay enough to pull these kids out of the money they are getting in college. Heck, the NFL doesn't pay as much as some of these kids are getting.
Right. Once you turn it into semi-pro, I struggle thinking people will keep supporting it. Might take time, though

Reactions: B1GTide

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
I’m not a fan of paying players and open free agency. Still I’m an Alabama fan I enjoyed learning the players and seeing them develop but overall I’m a fan of the program. So when it comes down to it if they decided to be apart of the Alabama program I’ll embrace them and cheer them on. If they decide they want to leave then no matter how good they are good riddance. If they ain’t crimson then… you know the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonRuss and Con

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
There is a big difference between a college JR/SR going into the NFL versus a HS SR going into college football. Incoming freshman should not be paid.
They are going to be on the same field playing the same sport. Not sure how you can not pay some.

And if you go to “pay for performance” then all of a sudden coaches have a mutiny when some players can’t get into the game

This whole thing is so screwed up.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
ESPN's headline is misleading. They voted to allow revenue sharing. Paying the players directly is a separate thing with separate implications. This is good. This provides a pathway forward that doesn't involve making them employees. Now the NcAA needs to go belly up, so Nick can step in as college football czar and improve upon this foundation
Well, that was Nick’s plan after all. It’s what he told the senate committee, so yeah he should over see the plan. Wait, that would mean we lose him as an ambassador of Alabama football.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
College athletics will survive.

They existed before this mess, and they exist at the lower levels.

The vast majority of colleges today do not make any money off their sports programs.
They run deficits. I blame this on the colleges and universities spending a boat load of money trying to keep up with the "Jones".

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/econom...g-in-the-high-revenue-world-of-college-sports

In fact, the median athletic program in 2019 (the last pre-pandemic year) had an operating deficit in DI without football (94 schools) of $14.4 million."
Hey, don’t tell anyone that schools without football run the same deficit as schools with football. We have heard for years that football pays the bills for everything else.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Many schools fold in fees into general tuition to cover the costs of athletic programs. Don’t know if they gets entered into the budget or if it’s drawn on as needed.

So those numbers may be misleading

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I mean, aren’t we already at that point?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Well. For now you still have tradition. At some point if you are the equivalent to a double A baseball team, it dies. For now, we still have tradition. At some point that goes away.
I see your point now. I definitely see college football as NFL Lite right now especially since they’re adopting helmet speakers and the 2 minute warning. But at least it’s not an NFL farm system…yet.

Latest threads