Report:The SEC Is Targeting Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan And Florida State For Expansion

If the SEC adds addtional teams, which are LIKELY choices? (Choose as many as you believe likely)

• Michigan

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Clemson

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Florida State

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other Big 12 schools

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other Big 10/11 schools

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ACC schools

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Pac 12 schools

• AAC schools

• CUSA schools

• Independents schools

• Mountain West schools

• Sun Belt schools

• No immediate (next 1-3 years) additions

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I like option 1 the best. After last year, I am already spoiled. That was the best thing about the Covid season. The all-SEC schedule, and the later start and playing into December.
Yeah I kinda do prefer an all conference schedule if we expand past 16. But without an expanded regular season you probably can’t have OOC games. It probably also means that you won’t have a predetermined cross division schedule either.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
As a reminder, the commissioner of the Big 10 is no longer Jim Delaney but a complete moron who likely would only conceive of your national notion by surfing message boards. I hear tell he went to the zoo and asked if he could see the Easter Seal.
As much grief as we give Sankey, deservedly so, he is by far the most established commissioner out there today with the moron running the Big Ten and a newbie running the Pac 12. The ACC has no power and never did anyway.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah I kinda do prefer an all conference schedule if we expand past 16. But without an expanded regular season you probably can’t have OOC games. It probably also means that you won’t have a predetermined cross division schedule either.
There is no need for either if this goes down that road. 20 or 24 teams in the new "league" and you've got most of the interesting teams anyway.

Reactions: 81usaf92

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As much grief as we give Sankey, deservedly so, he is by far the most established commissioner out there today with the moron running the Big Ten and a newbie running the Pac 12. The ACC has no power and never did anyway.
-Warren is really trying to be Delaney, but he really is more of a child king instead of a great dictator.

- The ACC is the sick man of college football. They were probably more likely of breaking than the Big XII before COVID.

- The PAC 12 has a green commissioner that is probably in an impossible situation for his experience level.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As a reminder, the commissioner of the Big 10 is no longer Jim Delaney but a complete moron who likely would only conceive of your national notion by surfing message boards. I hear tell he went to the zoo and asked if he could see the Easter Seal.
Well, if they end up adding Kansas and Iowa St. I will be in absolute awe of his incompetence.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
-Warren is really trying to be Delaney, but he really is more of a child king instead of a great dictator.

- The ACC is the sick man of college football. They were probably more likely of breaking than the Big XII before COVID.

- The PAC 12 has a green commissioner that is probably in an impossible situation for his experience level.
If they still had Delaney, I'd be concerned. He operated within the parameters set by the Big Ten, sure, and I'm referring to the AAU and other stipulations. But he was a shrewd leader. I never liked Mike Slive either, but he was also a shrewd leader. Sankey is of that mold. Warren simply is not. His response at the Big Ten media days to whether he would anything differently last season was utterly asinine. He is not a leader.

The Pac 12 guy may be good but he's late to the party. I thought geography would ultimately save them but with the talk of the Big Ten looking at some of their teams, maybe not.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If they still had Delaney, I'd be concerned. He operated within the parameters set by the Big Ten, sure, and I'm referring to the AAU and other stipulations. But he was a shrewd leader. I never liked Mike Slive either, but he was also a shrewd leader. Sankey is of that mold. Warren simply is not. His response at the Big Ten media days to whether he would anything differently last season was utterly asinine. He is not a leader.

The Pac 12 guy may be good but he's late to the party. I thought geography would ultimately save them but with the talk of the Big Ten looking at some of their teams, maybe not.
Delany was 100% about the AAU stipulation as well, but I guarantee you that he would take ESPN and the SEC to court to try to force that the B1G and SEC split Texas and Oklahoma.

He wouldn’t sit around and wait for this to happen.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Delany was 100% about the AAU stipulation as well, but I guarantee you that he would take ESPN and the SEC to court to try to force that the B1G and SEC split Texas and Oklahoma.

And apparently he had a chance for something like that and completely balked at it. That is if we are to believe OU/Texas approached both the Big Ten and the SEC. Now, I'm not convinced either OU or Texas would really want to go north to the Big Ten, academic prestige or not. Knowing the Big Ten wouldn't accept OU, then perhaps Texas simply would not go alone.

But again, I don't think either prefers the Big Ten. It's simply not a cultural fit, no matter what Adam Rittenberg says. Whether we like it or not, they both fit in better with the current iteration of the SEC.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And apparently he had a chance for something like that and completely balked at it. That is if we are to believe OU/Texas approached both the Big Ten and the SEC. Now, I'm not convinced either OU or Texas would really want to go north to the Big Ten, academic prestige or not. Knowing the Big Ten wouldn't accept OU, then perhaps Texas simply would not go alone.

But again, I don't think either prefers the Big Ten. It's simply not a cultural fit, no matter what Adam Rittenberg says. Whether we like it or not, they both fit in better with the current iteration of the SEC.
I have a hard time believing it since a central issue is the Fox deal. I think it was always SEC or ACC.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Sounds like you might not have liked Delaney, but you respected him. I saw it differently, and thought he was a sanctimonious holier-than-thou pompous jerk. We agree that Warren is in over his head.

Why do / did you not like Slive or Sankey? I think both were / are great. Only stain on Sankey was the Florida-LSU hurricane fiasco a couple of years ago. But that wasn’t so much Sankey as the fact that his hands were tied by the rules in effect at the time.

That’s since been rectified, and in similar circumstances, he would now take on powers similar to the Commissioner of Baseball — benevolent (one hopes) dictator. But he did what he could under the rules in effect at the time.

Sankey was spectacular last year navigating COVID. He schooled every single other commissioner. And he’s looking pretty dang good right now.

So I’m curious — why the dislike for Slive and Sankey?

So Delaney would have sued to prevent UTw and OU from exercising their individual rights to determine their own destiny?

I’m curious here as well. On what grounds (other than envy…..which to my knowledge isn’t a cause of action) would the suit be based?

The BIG doesn’t like the fact that both are going to the SEC, and sues to prohibit that. They’re not the conference losing members. They’re not the conference gaining members. They have no affiliation with either of the schools proposing to move. What’s their standing?

Strikes me kind of like those state Attorneys General suing to overturn other states’ certified election results.

Look, I know anybody can sue anybody for pretty much anything. But that gets thrown out faster than Marjorie Taylor Green crashing a Democratic caucus.

Am I missing something?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Sounds like you might not have liked Delaney, but you respected him. I saw it differently, and thought he was a sanctimonious holier-than-thou pompous jerk. We agree that Warren is in over his head.

Why do / did you not like Slive or Sankey? I think both were / are great. Only stain on Sankey was the Florida-LSU hurricane fiasco a couple of years ago. But that wasn’t so much Sankey as the fact that his hands were tied by the rules in effect at the time.

That’s since been rectified, and in similar circumstances, he would now take on powers similar to the Commissioner of Baseball — benevolent (one hopes) dictator. But he did what he could under the rules in effect at the time.

Sankey was spectacular last year navigating COVID. He schooled every single other commissioner. And he’s looking pretty dang good right now.

Oh I agree with you about Delaney's sanctimoniousness. Completely. I just respected him as someone who could get things done, in the parameters his league presidents set for him.

With Sankey, it's not just his handling of the Florida/LSU fiasco, but some other things related to intra-conference transfers and the like. He was wishy washy on some of that stuff, but my details may be mixed up. Yet in the grand scheme, I see him as a good leader, who will get things done. And especially in this climate, with such incompetence elsewhere. Edited to add: Yes on the Covid season. He navigated it brilliantly and that more than anything turned my opinion on him.

And now that you hold my feet to the fire, I honestly am having a hard time remembering why I had issues with Slive. Certainly, Slive and Sankey are MASSIVE upgrades from Kramer.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

So Delaney would have sued to prevent UTw and OU from exercising their individual rights to determine their own destiny?

I’m curious here as well. On what grounds (other than envy…..which to my knowledge isn’t a cause of action) would the suit be based?

The BIG doesn’t like the fact that both are going to the SEC, and sues to prohibit that. They’re not the conference losing members. They’re not the conference gaining members. They have no affiliation with either of the schools proposing to move. What’s their standing?

Strikes me kind of like those state Attorneys General suing to overturn other states’ certified election results.

Look, I know anybody can sue anybody for pretty much anything. But that gets thrown out faster than Marjorie Taylor Green crashing a Democratic caucus.

Am I missing something?
Delany would probably say that ESPN and the SEC were making a monopoly or were tampering with conferences. I don’t know if it would stick but the point is that he wouldn’t have been as passive as Warren is now. He would try to block or delay at all costs.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If I'm Sankey I call all the ACC schools south of Maryland and say we have a spot for you for the next 72 hours after that we start making individual invitations. I would let the Big 10 take the top half of the ACC and some merger with the PAC 12. Let them figure out how to play games with a 3 hour time zone differential. The only competitive brands they will achieve out of that alliance is USC, Oregon, and ND. And none of those are threatening to dethrone the perennial SEC powers.

The SEC and Big 10 can then play some end of season collegiate super bowl which the SEC will dominate.

The NCAA can pick up the scraps of the G5 and Big 12 and play Thursday/Friday night football and NIT2 basketball tournament.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If I'm Sankey I call all the ACC schools south of Maryland and say we have a spot for you for the next 72 hours after that we start making individual invitations. I would let the Big 10 take the top half of the ACC and some merger with the PAC 12. Let them figure out how to play games with a 3 hour time zone differential. The only competitive brands they will achieve out of that alliance is USC, Oregon, and ND. And none of those are threatening to dethrone the perennial SEC powers.

The SEC and Big 10 can then play some end of season collegiate super bowl which the SEC will dominate.

The NCAA can pick up the scraps of the G5 and Big 12 and play Thursday/Friday night football and NIT2 basketball tournament.
It's just crazy enough to work.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
….Certainly, Slive and Sankey are MASSIVE upgrades from Kramer.
Good point on the intra-conference transfer flip-flop. Not Sankey’s best look.

But I still come back to my favorite question….If you don‘t like the current situation, it’s the objector’s job to recommend a solution. Who would be better than Sankey?

And we are in 1000% agreement on the last sentence. Roy Kramer’s term as SEC Commissioner was both a crime against nature and an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. He was awful.

Reactions: rolltd

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Good point on the intra-conference transfer flip-flop. Not Sankey’s best look.

But I still come back to my favorite question….If you don‘t like the current situation, it’s the objector’s job to recommend a solution. Who would be better than Sankey?

And we are in 1000% agreement on the last sentence. Roy Kramer’s term as SEC Commissioner was both a crime against nature and an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. He was awful.
Oh no.. don't take me the wrong way. I'm not against Sankey. I think, despite my misgivings of some of the things mentioned, he is the best for the job. In other words, I don't dislike the current situation.

I go back to how he handled things last fall throughout the athletic calendar. It was masterful. And again, I'm really not sure why I would say I never liked Mike Slive.

Reactions: BamaInBham

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think better question is who does the SEC admit to get 32 teams without poaching teams from the BIG 10 and keeping some cultural and geographic similarities?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Why do / did you not like Slive or Sankey?
Sankey has, until now, largely been a passive politician trying to make everyone happy rather than what's best for the conference, imo.

What I'm seeing right now looks like a real leader, but time will tell if this is Sankey or someone / something larger just pulling the strings.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.