Report:The SEC Is Targeting Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan And Florida State For Expansion

If the SEC adds addtional teams, which are LIKELY choices? (Choose as many as you believe likely)

• Michigan

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Clemson

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Florida State

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Other Big 12 schools

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other Big 10/11 schools

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ACC schools

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Pac 12 schools

• AAC schools

• CUSA schools

• Independents schools

• Mountain West schools

• Sun Belt schools

• No immediate (next 1-3 years) additions

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think that I know where you are going, but disagree. I think that the rest of the college football world is running scared. The SEC has dominated the sport in terms of championships for over a decade, and now the SEC is looking to dominate the sport financially. Pretty soon the SEC will have more power than the rest of the sport combined.

Now, I don't fault the SEC for this. There is a power vacuum and the SEC has decided to fill it. Good for them. But it was going to provoke a response, and people get petty when they are afraid.
I think you're both "sort of" right, but I lean a little more in your direction.

It's like when a crop grows - how much was the soil and how much was the rain contributing?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Voted for khaki, Buckeyes, free shoes, and moolakeu. I want all the rivalries for all the eyes: bluebloods, diehards, and the casual fan looking to see some college football rivalry pagentry. Those four additions would give the SEC a stranglehold on the casual football fan viewing, only missing Notre Dame.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Now, I don't fault the SEC for this. There is a power vacuum and the SEC has decided to fill it. Good for them. But it was going to provoke a response, and people get petty when they are afraid.
One reason I preferred the idea of a 4 super-conference setup (with the SEC doing a much less dramatic addition of North Carolina and Virginia for example) was not because I didn't want the SEC to dominate. I've always considered the SEC's power an extension of Alabama's power. I just preferred the frog in a pot approach to the SEC achieving dominance.

Now, the SEC has thrown down the gauntlet, their intentions can not be mistaken. They aim to take over college football. Unfortunately, I think people in the south and perhaps the SEC might be underestimating the difficulty of that task. It's one thing to win championships, it's another thing to find a way to establish control of the entire sport. The SEC was just catching up financially to the Big 10, now they seem to have drawn the ire of all the other power conferences.

I'm not sure people realize how bumpy this can get. For instance, what if the other conferences start to refuse to schedule the SEC? The committee will have representation from the Big 10, ACC, Pac-12 and the Big 12 as long as it's alive. They could quite easily decide on de facto conference championship requirements. They've already kicked Texas off the committee and a couple conferences have expressed hesitancy in expanding the playoff (presumably to prevent the SEC from dominating it).

This fight can continue elsewhere of course, with the Big 12 trying to stick it to ESPN/Oklahoma/Texas and in doing so keep the SEC teams from seeing any increase in revenue for years, essentially adding Texas and Oklahoma just for the fun of it. This fight could continue to the NCAA, where every conference not named the SEC could argue for keeping a lot of restrictions in place (the SEC in turn would try to strong-arm the NCAA by threatening to leave). The problem is the SEC hasn't mustered the political and regional power required for such a move. Even with 60 million+ per year payed out to 16 teams, that's no match for the combined might of conferences that pay out over 2 billion annually.

To me the question of who wins will be a matter of how organized the resistance becomes. If the SEC doesn't figure out how to win decisively, and in the relatively near future things could get really interesting once the other forces start to make their moves.

Of course, this might actually means a lot less to you or I. Ohio State and Alabama will end up on the winning side sooner or later anyway. This poses a far greater threat to programs like Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Duke, and Utah.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
In today’s societal climate, I’m banking on any sort of organized resistance failing.

The SEC is going to dominate whichever playoff format they choose because of demographics. Their best bet is recruiting restrictions such as limiting the amount of 4 and 5 star players a program can sign each year. Yet those ratings are entirely subjective so pulling that off will be problematic at best.

Reactions: BamaInBham

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
As a reminder, the commissioner of the Big 10 is no longer Jim Delaney but a complete moron who likely would only conceive of your national notion by surfing message boards. I hear tell he went to the zoo and asked if he could see the Easter Seal.
There is no scenario of potential changes that would leav the SEC behind financially, as long as the 16 SEC teams remain intact.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.