Ribs

MississippiTider

3rd Team
Jun 3, 2003
Corinth, MS, USA
scottengr.com
Here's my method for cooking smoked ribs: I use a Brinkman smoker with a side firebox. Begin the fire with charcoal and then use a mix of green and seasoned hickory. Babyback ribs are my choice, but any type/style will do. In competition I always peel that thin membrane off the back, but in the backyard I leave it on (I like it, judges usually don't). When the smoker gets to a good consistent 250°, fill it with ribs! The baste I use is made with fresh lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar, not sure of the exact measurements, but its ready when its good enough to drink!! Baste both sides of the ribs as you put them in the smoker and again in about 45 minutes. After about 1.5 hrs I remove the ribs and wrap them in foil, baste them again, and return them to the smoker for about 2 hrs. at the same 250°. Unwrap ribs after the two hrs. and let them cook in the smoke for another hour, basting them again after unwrapping. I sprinkle them with a salty rub just before serving. We haven't won a competition yet, but we're getting there!!!

------------------
RTR & GBA

MississippiTider

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I use a rub that has lots of crushed red pepper and black pepper. It has lots of other things too. I pull the film off the ribs, rub them down and wrap them in foil overnight. Before smoking I scrape off as much of the rub as possible and put them on the smoker. Every 30 minutes I baste them with a mixture of Wicker bbq sause and apple juice (50/50). After 2 hrs I wrap them in foil along with about 4 oz of apple joice. I leave them on this way for 1 hr. After unwrapping I put them back on and every 15 minutes put on the same apple and wickers mixture. I do this for an hour and am done.

CrimsonTusk

1st Team
Sep 14, 2003
Florence AL USA
... its good to see there are other non-boilers out there. All my friends say boil those ribs before grilling and they'll be so good. Well to me it makes them tough. I use the foil like you guys do and about the same timeframe too. Slow, smokey cooking is the best. I'll have to give ya'lls recipes a try, sounds good....heres a glaze of mine... 1 bottle of reg BBQ sauce... i usually make up about half a bottle, to this i add honey, garlic salt, alittle Dales or Moores, i like Moores because its less salty, red pepper or tabasco to taste... i never measure it all out... i just throw it in there till it gets "that taste".... also i cut an onion kind of like the blooming onions add butter and salt and wrap it in foil and grill for about the last hour-hour and a half. When you start smelling the onion, its usually done....

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I'm in the no-boiling camp too. By boiling them, you boil all the fat out of them. The dripping fat adds a lot of flavor and smoke and if you're using a gas grill, the dripping fat is what flavors and seasons the brickettes.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I agree boiling ribs is a no-no. But, I have tasted some ribs that were first boiled in some Zataran's liquid crab boil then cooked on the grill that were mighty tasty. Personally I do not boil ribs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.