Roster Management for 24-25

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I really don't know why they both haven't said publicly what they are doing. I know today is the deadline, but I can't imagine there's more info to consider today before midnight.

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I really don't know why they both haven't said publicly what they are doing. I know today is the deadline, but I can't imagine there's more info to consider today before midnight.
Sears is working out with Milwaukee today, so his won't come till later in the day probably. Just based on what's been said by coach and Sears, I get the feeling he's back if he doesn't get a guarantee from them.

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaMoon

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
Those saying that staying another year is better than g league, can you explain why a year in college (other than academics) would be better than in the pros/g league? I think the min salary is 40k there for 5 months. No idea what he would get at Bama. He can do all the training and everything in the league, get coached by their coaches. What advantage is college other than looking at it like a fan? He may not even start at Bama which would waste time vs being in the league starting or not.

not saying I think leaving is the better choice or that JS is ready cause I don’t. Just curious.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
Those saying that staying another year is better than g league, can you explain why a year in college (other than academics) would be better than in the pros/g league? I think the min salary is 40k there for 5 months. No idea what he would get at Bama. He can do all the training and everything in the league, get coached by their coaches. What advantage is college other than looking at it like a fan? He may not even start at Bama which would waste time vs being in the league starting or not.

not saying I think leaving is the better choice or that JS is ready cause I don’t. Just curious.
I've taken a look at some of the early 2025 mock drafts, and I've seen him projected as a first rounder next year. On the other hand, nobody really expects him to be drafted this year, so it would seem like a no brainer to me: stay one more year and be a first rounder next year However, to be fair, Nelson is back, so maybe he's worried about playing time, but if that were the case, you'd think he'd have entered the portal when he had the chance so idk.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Once you get pigeonholed, as a G league kid, your trajectory is greatly influenced. Whereas, if you have another year in college, and work on your game, you can work up to the draft. Then, if you’re in the first round, you’re more than likely to start with the team. Where the other way, is a huge uphill battle.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

I think the easy answer is to add a 0 to those G-league numbers.

Coach D

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2023
Once you get pigeonholed, as a G league kid, your trajectory is greatly influenced. Whereas, if you have another year in college, and work on your game, you can work up to the draft. Then, if you’re in the first round, you’re more than likely to start with the team. Where the other way, is a huge uphill battle.

I have not payed attention in since before 2020 but the below is a good percentage.

“At the start of the 2023-24 NBA season, 50% of players on opening-night rosters possessed G League experience, which is a record, according to the G League. Forty-seven percent of players on NBA start-of-season rosters for 2022-23 had G League experience”

Especially if he got offered a spot on ignite who are doing a good job producing guys. G league seems to be doing better than before. A lot of college is more “ifs” to me. If he can start or play a lot. If the team does well his name will be bigger. Obviously a lot of those ifs are got the g league too but it’s working full time with pros to better yourself focusing only on you vs college with school and more worried about winning vs possibly having more of a role due to what the team needs instead of showing full skill set.

Idk just having a fun convo until we know if they are staying. As a college type person I would prefer playing at Bama than a g league but I do understand why going.

BamaHoopsBoi

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 7, 2023

Well just recently I'd say the main reason would be $$$.

40k is nothing compared to what he'd most likely receive at Bama. Of course there are other factors but it seems to be the most important in this landscape.

BamaHoopsBoi

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 7, 2023
For context on the money aspect, the G-league games I've come across are as or more empty than an WNBA arena.
Been to a few Squadron games and they always have very few fans. So little in fact that you can hear the players talking on the court lol

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
On May 1, the window closed to enter the portal. For those already in, is there an end date on when they can transfer? Noticing that Kris Parker hasn't transferred is what triggered the question.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
Well just recently I'd say the main reason would be $$$.

40k is nothing compared to what he'd most likely receive at Bama. Of course there are other factors but it seems to be the most important in this landscape.
I got to thinking, he may not need the money. Dad played in Korea for 15ish years. According to the Internet, the average salary there is 250k to 400k USD. That's not as much as the NBA, but it's a doctor salary. If he managed his money right, then his family would be set for a long time.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
On May 1, the window closed to enter the portal. For those already in, is there an end date on when they can transfer? Noticing that Kris Parker hasn't transferred is what triggered the question.
Don't think so. Just nobody new can enter the portal until the end of next season, I believe.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I had that question a while back and I think the answer is there is no end date. I don't know when the portal opens again, but he cannot come back to Bama and be eligible for 2024-25 season.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I had that question a while back and I think the answer is there is no end date. I don't know when the portal opens again, but he cannot come back to Bama and be eligible for 2024-25 season.
Are you sure? It's my understanding that players can exit the portal at any time if they haven't actually transferred. It would be up to the school whether or not he could come back. I don't know this for sure, but that's what my brief research came back with.

1000003627.jpg

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads