Russia Invades Ukraine IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I remember seeing men crossed the street in Cairo without getting hit. Nobody respecting the lanes, you just drive when and where you want. Guys walk through that without getting hit is like walking through a thunderstorm without getting hit by a drop, but they do it somehow.
seen the same in Bangkok and Jakarta, it's near magical.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I remember seeing men crossed the street in Cairo without getting hit. Nobody respecting the lanes, you just drive when and where you want. Guys walk through that without getting hit is like walking through a thunderstorm without getting hit by a drop, but they do it somehow.
Similar to China. Whenever our bus driver wanted to turn left into oncoming traffic, he didn’t wait for an opening, he just started turning left. No signal or anything. This happened in three different Chinese cities.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
It's the same in Saudi. Three of four lanes and it was your guess who was going to turn left. The far left lane we referred to as the Allah lane, more people met him using that lane than any other. You might refer to it as high speed lane to the virgins and honey.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Similar to China. Whenever our bus driver wanted to turn left into oncoming traffic, he didn’t wait for an opening, he just started turning left. No signal or anything. This happened in three different Chinese cities.
This is pretty much the case in every Asian city I’ve visited. My first time I thought we were going to die. My 10th trip? I stopped noticing it or caring? Haha. The scariest is when I’m on the back of a scooter

• Haha
Reactions: Go Bama

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Of course they will. Any nation that values its citizens will always blink first. Putin will sacrifice every Russian male capable of fighting to win. That's why its up to the Russian population to stop him.
He may be willing to sacrifice his men, but I am not sure Russians soldiers will be willing. The Russian military has a history of snapping when pushed too far (1905, 1918, 1991). When the Russian military snaps, it frequently sweeps away the regime with it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
He may be willing to sacrifice his men, but I am not sure Russians soldiers will be willing. The Russian military has a history of snapping when pushed too far (1905, 1918, 1991). When the Russian military snaps, it frequently sweeps away the regime with it.
Looks like Ukraine is in a race with time….Can they hold out long enough for Putin to be eliminated as an effective leader (death, overthrow, slow-walking orders, whatever) and/or the Russian Army to snap?

Also seems that the Russians aren’t making as many mistakes and blunders as early on, and I’m not sure what Ukraine’s staying power is.

I‘m a bit reminded of the Lord of the Rings books. Facing overwhelming numbers and a grim prognosis, sometimes something unexpected bails you out.

BTW – one historic weakness of the Russian Army is poor NCO and field officer leadership. Dating back at least to Stalin (maybe earlier, I don’t know), they’ve been bad to undermine these ranks by replacing competent experience with political loyalists who can’t come within light years of their predecessors’ effectiveness. Without reliable mid-level officers, the generals are having to take a more hands-on micro-managing approach. They’re spending more time closer to the fighting than is best, and as a result face greater chances of getting picked off.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Looks like Ukraine is in a race with time….Can they hold out long enough for Putin to be eliminated as an effective leader (death, overthrow, slow-walking orders, whatever) and/or the Russian Army to snap?

Also seems that the Russians aren’t making as many mistakes and blunders as early on, and I’m not sure what Ukraine’s staying power is.

I‘m a bit reminded of the Lord of the Rings books. Facing overwhelming numbers and a grim prognosis, sometimes something unexpected bails you out.

BTW – one historic weakness of the Russian Army is poor NCO and field officer leadership. Dating back at least to Stalin (maybe earlier, I don’t know), they’ve been bad to undermine these ranks by replacing competent experience with political loyalists who can’t come within light years of their predecessors’ effectiveness. Without reliable mid-level officers, the generals are having to take a more hands-on micro-managing approach. They’re spending more time closer to the fighting than is best, and as a result face greater chances of getting picked off.
it is crazy that the Russians have stuck so hard headedly to their system of organization that as you said has proven problematic since at least Stalin's time. I am sure there is a fascinating story as to why but it is mind boggling to see them make the same mistakes over so many decades. Glad they haven't gotten their stuff together though as a competent Russian army could be a very scary thing.

On the war front, hasn't it come out that Putin expects the West to get tired of helping and now thinks a war of attrition is his best play? Maybe he is just hoping to get to the mid terms so a new GOP Congress can start undermining the efforts against him. Seems his orange pal here has the same strategy

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Well you know Trump and his loyalists will sell out UKR given the opportunity since they didnt go along with their pay for play scheme. I half way expect the Russians to retreat and regroup if there is a change in leadership in the US.

it is crazy that the Russians have stuck so hard headedly to their system of organization that as you said has proven problematic since at least Stalin's time. I am sure there is a fascinating story as to why but it is mind boggling to see them make the same mistakes over so many decades. Glad they haven't gotten their stuff together though as a competent Russian army could be a very scary thing.

On the war front, hasn't it come out that Putin expects the West to get tired of helping and now thinks a war of attrition is his best play? Maybe he is just hoping to get to the mid terms so a new GOP Congress can start undermining the efforts against him. Seems his orange pal here has the same strategy

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I saw that article. I worry that the Ukrainians won't be able to hold out long enough. Their losses in manpower and armor has finally made them risk-averse, but they have the Ukrainians severely outgunned. IF we can get the short range rockets to them, that might help, with their doubled range over the M777s. That will force a longer range to the gun battles. However, I'm afraid the Russians have them out-rocketed as well. Here's Tom Cooper's most recent take:

Tom Cooper

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I saw that article. I worry that the Ukrainians won't be able to hold out long enough. Their losses in manpower and armor has finally made them risk-averse, but they have the Ukrainians severely outgunned. IF we can get the short range rockets to them, that might help, with their doubled range over the M777s. That will force a longer range to the gun battles. However, I'm afraid the Russians have them out-rocketed as well. Here's Tom Cooper's most recent take:

Tom Cooper
The Ukrainians will hold out as long as they can , I think how long the West hold's out will determine "as long as they can"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.