Link: Saban explains NCG loss

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Actions have consequences……… and inaction, in this case, also has consequences. Hard lesson for a young guy to learn, but often a valuable one for those willing to learn
Their inaction impacted other people as well, their team. When they were called upon to help their team they weren't prepared and it potentially cost the team a NC. The dropped pass by #84 that not only would have been a 1st down but potentially a momentum shifting TD.

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail"- John Wooden

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm never a fan of throwing your players under the bus, publicly.
If the players are entitled slackers who won't accept coaching, I've zero issue with throwing them under the bus (or tossing them through the transfer portal).

Do the work or get the hell out. Their lazy, selfish behavior may well have cost Alabama a NC.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
this year was worst in dropped balls and i used to marvel at how his receivers never dropped balls since CNS came here

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
The more I think about It I think I was wrong. I mentioned THolden as 1 of these young culprits.I have changed my mind. I noticed the young man in the 4th Qtr Program.I know he is tight with Bryce and I know that he obviously welcomed Burton with open arms. Of course I could still be wrong.But I dont think it was him. I know one was Billingsley.No brainer. And I believe the 2nd one was Baker.Again after thinking about it.I think he was one of them.The 3rd one? Not sure. But I have a feeling it was Hall.Dont know for sure.But I would wager on it.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The more I think about It I think I was wrong. I mentioned THolden as 1 of these young culprits.I have changed my mind. I noticed the young man in the 4th Qtr Program.I know he is tight with Bryce and I know that he obviously welcomed Burton with open arms. Of course I could still be wrong.But I dont think it was him. I know one was Billingsley.No brainer. And I believe the 2nd one was Baker.Again after thinking about it.I think he was one of them.The 3rd one? Not sure. But I have a feeling it was Hall.Dont know for sure.But I would wager on it.
Has to be Hall, unfortunately for him, he wet the bed several times on the biggest stage after complaining about not getting playing time. If anyone was singled out by Saban's comments it was Hall. It seems he's accepted ownership of his failing, let's see if he turns on the work ethic and does the necessary to get on the field and be the successful receiver he's shown glimpses he can be.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Do the work or get the hell out. Their lazy, selfish behavior may well have cost Alabama a NC.
There is no maybe about it, it absolutely did. There are several single factors that if you change just one of them, we win.

Injuries to DBs. Change that, we win.

Injuries to Metchie and Jamo. Change just one of those, and we win.

Lack of preparedness and focus from the backup WRs. Change that, we win.

My message to all Georgia fans is this. Your 2021 NC team is one of the weakest NC teams of the past decade. It should not have won a championship. Alabama's 2021 team was one of Coach Saban's most flawed, and it trucked you in Atlanta. It was a neck and neck game in Indy in the 4th quarter but due to the 3 points above, all conspiring together, we finally wilted.

You can call that sour grapes. I don't give a rat's behind. It's reality. So you go ahead and celebrate, Georgia fans. I'll still call you the dumbest fan base on the planet, because none of this is really about you. It's about the players we have coming back, and them learning from this and growing into the potential they have.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
There is no maybe about it, it absolutely did. There are several single factors that if you change just one of them, we win.

Injuries to DBs. Change that, we win.

Injuries to Metchie and Jamo. Change just one of those, and we win.

Lack of preparedness and focus from the backup WRs. Change that, we win.

My message to all Georgia fans is this. Your 2021 NC team is one of the weakest NC teams of the past decade. It should not have won a championship. Alabama's 2021 team was one of Coach Saban's most flawed, and it trucked you in Atlanta. It was a neck and neck game in Indy in the 4th quarter but due to the 3 points above, all conspiring together, we finally wilted.

You can call that sour grapes. I don't give a rat's behind. It's reality. So you go ahead and celebrate, Georgia fans. I'll still call you the dumbest fan base on the planet, because none of this is really about you. It's about the players we have coming back, and them learning from this and growing into the potential they have.
I do love irony, and ironically, it's your last point that is the truth. Had the freshmen stepped up, similar to Smith, Jeudy, Tua, and Najee, they would've made at least the same impact on this game as that special group did when they had a chance as freshmen.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm never a fan of throwing your players under the bus, publicly. Surely he's had this talk with the players, privately. That approach sure didn't work with Billingsley so I don't understand going after more players unless the point is to tell them they have no future here (we do need a few more transfers out I think). You have to coach/develop the guys you have if you want them to be ready for the VERY LAST game of the season when you really need them.
In this case, I don't have a problem with what Saban did, if anyone has earned the right to take the unconventional approach, he definitely has. Saban had more patience with our former TE than I would have. There was a day, "back in my day" so to speak, if a player displayed the type of effort (especially in a game) that I saw on more than one occasion, he would have been dismissed and not allowed to continue the season. I have no problem with Saban taking this approach in this particular case with these players. Maybe it will be a wake up call...

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Their inaction impacted other people as well, their team. When they were called upon to help their team they weren't prepared and it potentially cost the team a NC. The dropped pass by #84 that not only would have been a 1st down but potentially a momentum shifting TD.

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail"- John Wooden
Buzz, as I recall, if he catches the ball it's a two-score game.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Yes, he is, but I could not understand why he played much at all this year. I kept thinking to myself that Coach Saban must have felt there was no other feasible option. I'd rather have a 3 star who busts his tail than a 5 star who loafs.
This was the problem and the reason JB was on the field. Obviously the group as a whole wasn't putting in the effort maybe due to lack of leadership. Hopefully now the challenge will be accepted. We'll either see improvement by the spring game or the portal will be active again.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is my take on this:

Saban harped on that throughout the season. It wasn't limited to WR. It affected the team as a whole because they wanted to play, but they didn't want to work hard for it. I think it's reasonable to look at the Bama players who left in December.. and I think its safe to assume that we will see more transfering after spring camp. YOu can bet Saban is going to correct this. This fall the team will be very tough.

Reactions: Con

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In this case, I don't have a problem with what Saban did, if anyone has earned the right to take the unconventional approach, he definitely has. Saban had more patience with our former TE than I would have. There was a day, "back in my day" so to speak, if a player displayed the type of effort (especially in a game) that I saw on more than one occasion, he would have been dismissed and not allowed to continue the season. I have no problem with Saban taking this approach in this particular case with these players. Maybe it will be a wake up call...
It had the definite ring of an ultimatum to me. If these guys can't figure out that they're probably going to be passed by the incomers, they do really need to start looking for new opportunities. It seems like it's just so seldom that once an under-performers starts grousing publicly, they never do get their attitudes adjusted. Double that, if family gets involved...

Swanny

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2004
FYI. I posted this on 1/11 in postgame thread:

I attended the New Mexico State game in November. One of the things I do when I am there in person is to pick up on stuff I cannot see on TV (heck when we are up 42-3 need something to keep myself busy). I placed special attention to one of our young receivers who was on the sideline. Throughout the game, he had no engagement with the offense whether they were on the field or sideline. He basically sat at the end of the bench, helmet on, and no one for the most part was around him at all. At one point, Brian Robinson came down and sat beside him during one series. I wonder what was said if anything. Then at halftime, after he had matriculated down to the end of players box and did full sprint to locker room. He entered the game with about 3 minutes left in third quarter, dropped a pass, and that was basically it.

Fast forward to last night; when called into action, I saw an individual who was unprepared, not sure of where to line up, and dropped a couple of key passes- and wondered if he had been more engaged and had a better attitude throughout the season, maybe things would have gone differently.

I am saying this not to be critical of a player or to know anything other than what I observed. But, when we talk about players (Mac Jones, and Brian Robinson for example) who wait years to get their chance to perform; and they have put in the time and effort, it makes us feel great for them to be successful. On the other end, maybe some get what they deserve too. You get out of it what you put into it. Thats all I have to say.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
If the players are entitled slackers who won't accept coaching, I've zero issue with throwing them under the bus (or tossing them through the transfer portal).

Sometimes you have to call people out publicly…….. only way some people get it

Reactions: Con

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.