Should Mac Jones stay?

jjv0004

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
Before you blast me hear me out. I don't think this is so cut and dry. As of now, best case scenario is that Mac would be the 5th QB taken and would probably not be in the top 15. If he stayed one more year, he competes next year with Sam Howell, Spencer Rattler, Bo Nix, Kedon Slovis and maybe the dude from Georgia. On this list, Mac is the 3rd QB taken. In this years draft Joe Burrow received total contract of $36 million as the 1st pick. The top 5 picks were all above $30 million for total contracts. Once you get past pick 15 in last years draft the total contract money drops below $15 million (A.J. Terrell got $14.3 million as pick 16). So, hypothetically, if Mac was pick 20 this year, he would get around $13 million. If he came out next year and made it into the top 10, he would get somewhere around $20 million. If he were higher than that, the numbers get up near $25-$30 million. Seems like quite a bit of money he would potentially lose by coming out this year.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: JustNeedMe81

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He will almost certainly get drafted in the 1st round, though probably no higher than the middle of the round. The only reason to come back - the possibility of getting drafted higher next year. So, what are the odds of him improving on what amounts to a Heisman winning season this season?

NorCalTide

Jan 8, 2019
Before you blast me hear me out. I don't think this is so cut and dry. As of now, best case scenario is that Mac would be the 5th QB taken and would probably not be in the top 15. If he stayed one more year, he competes next year with Sam Howell, Spencer Rattler, Bo Nix, Kedon Slovis and maybe the dude from Georgia. On this list, Mac is the 3rd QB taken. In this years draft Joe Burrow received total contract of $36 million as the 1st pick. The top 5 picks were all above $30 million for total contracts. Once you get past pick 15 in last years draft the total contract money drops below $15 million (A.J. Terrell got $14.3 million as pick 16). So, hypothetically, if Mac was pick 20 this year, he would get around $13 million. If he came out next year and made it into the top 10, he would get somewhere around $20 million. If he were higher than that, the numbers get up near $25-$30 million. Seems like quite a bit of money he would potentially lose by coming out this year.
He would also lose a majority of his offensive line, Smith, Waddle, Forristall, Najee and have a new OC. It isn't like the cupboards are bare, but there will be some significant adjustments that could impact his performance negatively if he were to return.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Plano, TX
He could start work toward a Doctorate since he's already got the graduate degree.

I'm sure you/we could spin it as being good to go or stay. Personally, I think he'll go.

Reactions: RammerJammer14

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Mac seems to be the type young man who would come back, enjoys the college atmosphere, loves playing for Alabama and could finish his masters degree. This is what I though at the beginning of the season, but with so much success this year it is hard to imagine he could duplicate that performance next year. So I think now that he does not come back.

ETA: I was not aware he had already completed his masters degree.

Reactions: GboyBama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mac seems to be the type young man who would come back, enjoys the college atmosphere, loves playing for Alabama and could finish his masters degree. This is what I though at the beginning of the season, but with so much success this year it is hard to imagine he could duplicate that performance next year. So I think now that he does not come back.
FWIW, he finished his Masters.

Reactions: JustNeedMe81

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Plano, TX
I don't think he could match what he did this season if he stays another year since we need to rebuild the OL next season and thus his stock would probably not go any higher. I'd also like to see Bryce Young be given his chance before he grows impatient and thinks of looking elsewhere.
Hopefully we win the NC this year! If Mac goes to the draft...BY takes over next year: If next year is somewhat of a building year (whatever that might mean) we might not win a NC no matter who the QB is. But if Mac stayed and Bryce left, we'd possibly lose one of, if not the best, young QBs in the nation to another team. This might cost us further NCs down the road we could otherwise win if BY stays.

A lot of "what ifs" but I can see how Mac staying could cost us more than help us in the next 2 or 3 years in our QB development.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
yes he should go. His stock will never be higher than it is right now.

Moses, that is another good question and not nearly as cut and dry in my opinion. his stock was probably higher last year, before coming back.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hopefully we win the NC this year! If Mac goes to the draft...BY takes over next year: If next year is somewhat of a building year (whatever that might mean) we might not win a NC no matter who the QB is. But if Mac stayed and Bryce left, we'd possibly lose one of, if not the best, young QBs in the nation to another team. This might cost us further NCs down the road we could otherwise win if BY stays.

A lot of "what ifs" but I can see how Mac staying could cost us more than help us in the next 2 or 3 years in our QB development.
You got a pretty good QB in this class and are targeting a very good QB in 2022. I wouldn't worry about things like transfers.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
You could argue to go lower in the first round might benefit him to get on a better team than some of those picking high in the first round.

I'd love to see him go to the Pats.
This is the exact point I came here to make. Well said!

Mac doesn’t strike me as a day 1 franchise QB in the NFL. Give him a Mahomes/Jackson type situation where he sits under a veteran QB and good coaching staff for year, then takes over a quality team could be really good for him.

The team I’m guessing will take him though is Washington. They just cut Haskins and will need a developmental QB. Alex Smith has already done one smooth transition to a high potential QB. They should also pick around 18th which is where Mac is graded... Plus WFT loves them some Bama players.

Last edited:

TF Shop : NATIONAL CHAMP GEAR!

TideFans.Shop - Get your Bama Championship gear here!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads